• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

corrupted priests

syo

today, an old lady told me that when she was 12 years old she was sexually harassed by two priests. priests can be pedophiles, or corrupted in general, they should be locked in jail.

in my opinion, we accept religion, but we shouldn't accept the religion's priests, because priests are humans and they can be filthy. so, yes to religion, no to priests.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
today, an old lady told me that when she was 12 years old she was sexually harassed by two priests. priests can be pedophiles, or corrupted in general, they should be locked in jail.

in my opinion, we accept religion, but we shouldn't accept the religion's priests, because priests are humans and they can be filthy. so, yes to religion, no to priests.
A religion is defined by what its adherents believe and do. You can't separate "the religion" from "the adherents" (edit: a subset of which are the religion's priests).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

At one point humanity had any number of intermediaries between regular people and a sense of the divine - priests, shaman and so forth. We're growing up and are more and more not needing or wanting intermediaries who tell us what to think.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd amend this to "we can honor and respect religious traditions, as well as the professionals like clergy and seers who serve within these traditions. Where organizations or individuals violate the laws governing their nation, they should be held accountable to them regardless of (ir)religion or profession."

socharlie

At one point humanity had any number of intermediaries between regular people and a sense of the divine - priests, shaman and so forth. We're growing up and are more and more not needing or wanting intermediaries who tell us what to think.
generally I agree, I'd say initiated teachers are very useful while dogmatic priesthood bring only harm.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A religion is defined by what its adherents believe and do.

Agreed.

We often read that "Jesus (or the Bible) taught ..."

What was taught is what was learned. What was said or written but not learned was not taught.

To understand Christianity and "true Christians," we look to what they say and do, not what was written in a book that can be and often is ignored.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I kinda get why people would ask, effectively, "what's so great about this guy that he thinks he can be an intermediary between him and God?"

However, I don't get why someone would ask themselves "what's so great about me that I think I should be able to communicate directly with God?" and come up with something they think justifies doing it.

Jeremiah Ames

The priests exist because of the religion.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. For example, if I say "Men sexually assaulted a friend of mine [true example, btw], then men should be locked up in jail". IOW, you're using a stereotype of priests, which may appease those people whom are heavy into bigotry but which simply in a non-sequitur.

metis

I'd amend this to "we can honor and respect religious traditions, as well as the professionals like clergy and seers who serve within these traditions. Where organizations or individuals violate the laws governing their nation, they should be held accountable to them regardless of (ir)religion or profession."
Exactly. Well said.

metis

generally I agree, I'd say initiated teachers are very useful while dogmatic priesthood bring only harm.
How did you draw that conclusion, and what exactly separates "initiated teachers", which priests are, from a "dogmatic priesthood"?

metis

I kinda get why people would ask, effectively, "what's so great about this guy that he thinks he can be an intermediary between him and God?"

However, I don't get why someone would ask themselves "what's so great about me that I think I should be able to communicate directly with God?" and come up with something they think justifies doing it.
That simply is not what the priesthood is about, which has previously been covered on anther thread.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
priests can be pedophiles, or corrupted in general, they should be locked in jail...

...we shouldn't accept the religion's priests, because priests are humans and they can be filthy. so, yes to religion, no to priests.

As are politicians, police, firefighters, doctors, counselors...hecks...all public servants are humans and can potentially be "filthy." Should we round all public servants up and lock them in jail?

socharlie

How did you draw that conclusion, and what exactly separates "initiated teachers", which priests are, from a "dogmatic priesthood"?
God gave me freedom, liberation, generosity... it did come from dogma experience but grooving understanding of God.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
God gave me freedom, liberation, generosity... it did come from dogma experience but grooving understanding of God.

You didn't answer @metis's question in your response, so I'll ask again. What is the difference between and "initiated teacher" and a "dogmatic priest?"

socharlie

You didn't answer @metis's question in your response, so I'll ask again. What is the difference between and "initiated teacher" and a "dogmatic priest?"
I am Gnostic type, I learned fro Initiated teachers who has natural spiritual abilities or learned , trained (for years spiritual) abilities. They Know God trough their own experience, encounters not from cast in concrete scriptures they do not understand.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I am Gnostic type, I learned fro Initiated teachers who has natural spiritual abilities or learned , trained (for years spiritual) abilities. They Know God trough their own experience, encounters not from cast in concrete scriptures they do not understand.

What is the difference between the experience of the initiate and that of the priest? Are you stating that there are no priests that have had experiences outside of Scripture that have gained them a knowledge of God? Are you stating that there are no initiates that have incorporated texts into their knowledge of God? Where are you drawing the line here?

socharlie

What is the difference between the experience of the initiate and that of the priest? Are you stating that there are no priests that have had experiences outside of Scripture that have gained them a knowledge of God? Are you stating that there are no initiates that have incorporated texts into their knowledge of God? Where are you drawing the line here?
see my example.
initiated teachers existed when no scripture existed , they have method of entering of Astral reality. Just like a tribal shaman is initiated practitioner.