• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronavirus: Half a billion people could be pushed into poverty, says UN study

Cooky

Veteran Member
"Half a billion more people worldwide could be pushed into poverty amid the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic unless developing countries receive urgent help, according to a United Nations study and Oxfam International.

Progress in fighting poverty would reversed by a decade, the authors add, and in some regions -- such as Sub-Saharan and North Africa, and the Middle East -- by three times as long.

The analysis, carried out by researchers from Kings College London and the Australian National University, has brought immediate calls for a monumental effort to address the world's most vulnerable."

Coronavirus: 500m people worldwide 'could be pushed into poverty'

...So what do you personally think about this? Should we offer help or not?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And what the most astonishing thing is that there is still enough wealth left over in the world to raise all of them out of poverty. But will anyone let go off their precious wealth piles to help? Don't count on it. They'll still find some way to bleed even more out of them, call them freeloaders living off a "welfare state" and whatnot, just like they do today. Maybe what will come of it, is no one is going to believe them anymore?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The 'developed' world has long had an economy based on wants. The underdeveloped' world has economies based on needs. Until the developed world starts viewing their wants as luxuries, not needs. the massive discreprancy between rich and poor, with it's inhumanity, will continue.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It may well be correct, and trying to assist each other is better than "Every country for itself!". But, there will always be some limitations what can be done, no doubt.

MNoBody

it is truly a staggering a retarding blow to humanity everywhere.....we all suffer in some way from things of this nature

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Obviously you know very little about either's philosophy.
Didn't see the quotations, son?
Conservatives tend to screech and bellow "communism" at any form of social program or assistance, exposing their ignorance.
As for Jesus, he had quite a few things to say about wealth and greed, but I've no doubt that conservative christians have performed some mental gymnastics and concocted in their minds some wacky work around, so let's hear it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think?

I disagree with you on a lot of fundamental issues, but I don't think nature cares if any of us are "thinned out," nor would I want anyone to be "thinned out" due to starvation.

I live in a third-world country in one of the regions mentioned in the study. Do you think nature wants me to starve to death? Would that be okay with you? I personally hope you and other Americans don't ever have to go through that. I don't know whether you share this feeling toward us in third-world regions, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
"Half a billion more people worldwide could be pushed into poverty amid the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic unless developing countries receive urgent help, according to a United Nations study and Oxfam International.

Progress in fighting poverty would reversed by a decade, the authors add, and in some regions -- such as Sub-Saharan and North Africa, and the Middle East -- by three times as long.

The analysis, carried out by researchers from Kings College London and the Australian National University, has brought immediate calls for a monumental effort to address the world's most vulnerable."

WWJD?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
The 'developed' world has long had an economy based on wants. The underdeveloped' world has economies based on needs. Until the developed world starts viewing their wants as luxuries, not needs. the massive discreprancy between rich and poor, with it's inhumanity, will continue.

And what the most astonishing thing is that there is still enough wealth left over in the world to raise all of them out of poverty. But will anyone let go off their precious wealth piles to help? Don't count on it. They'll still find some way to bleed even more out of them, call them freeloaders living off a "welfare state" and whatnot, just like they do today. Maybe what will come of it, is no one is going to believe them anymore?

I concur.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Nature always finds ways to depopulate the overly populated. This is a function of ecosystems.

Humans applying this to a specific group of people despite having the ability to intervene is called genocide.

Cooky

Veteran Member
If America collapsed into a third world theocracy because of the platforms and policies you've supported, and you and your family were the ones starving, would you suggest mother nature wants you thinned out?

I don't support theocracies. I'm a secularist.

...So your question fails on account of faulty conditions.

In true Ayn Rand outdated fashion, let the little people suffer to no end while I languish in luxury.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
..So what do you personally think about this? Should we offer help or not?

yes we should help

And what the most astonishing thing is that there is still enough wealth left over in the world to raise all of them out of poverty. But will anyone let go off their precious wealth piles to help?

Christians are supposed to follow the law of love. Muslims should follow what the Quran says: "If anyone saved a life it would be as if he saved the life of the whole humanity.” The Talmud says that saving human life takes precedence over all other commandments.

Bhagavad Gita 6.28-32 speaks of having everything but not love is having nothing. Buddhism speaks of compassion.

There are some who are using their wealth to help. I've been impressed by Bill Gates, for one. The twitter CEO set up a $1 billion fund. And there are others I'm sure.

People are being invited to grow up spiritually, to work on their own selfishness and to start reaching out their hands to those in need in whatever way seems right.

I would state that not as a nature vs Jesus but as the impact being so universal that the source is necessarily universal. When both someone in utter poverty and the PM of the UK are both suffering from a pandemic and might die, it's a lesson that we're all in the same boat and should start acting accordingly.

So I would vote for acting according to the law of love and compassion no matter what someone's religion or lack of belief.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Nature always finds ways to depopulate the overly populated. This is a function of ecosystems.

Humans applying this to a specific group of people despite having the ability to intervene is called genocide.

What if we aren't applying it, but nature is. Do we intervene? If so, by what logic?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
What if we aren't applying it. But nature is. Do we intervene?

Humans are very capable of munipulating their environment and are very capable of providing help to its most at risk members. We just don't. We have exceeded our ability to push our population beyond most limits, but not without damage to the ecological support systems we rely on.

We could, of course, continue growing while reducing this damage, but we don't.

By simply letting a disease destroy groups of folks because we don't think they are worthy of support, isn't that genocide?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Humans are very capable of munipulating their environment and are very capable of providing help to its most at risk members. We just don't. We have exceeded our ability to push our population beyond most limits, but not without damage to the ecological support systems we rely on.

We could, of course, continue growing while reducing this damage, but we don't.

By simply letting a disease destroy groups of folks because we don't think they are worthy of support, isn't that genocide?

Are the people in these "developing" countries not the ones who run OPEC, and pull carbon from the earth, and readily provide to others who burn it into the atmosphere? Poetic justice by nature? Or coincidence?