• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops Must Have Immunity Removed

averageJOE

zombie
One of the main reasons that an interaction between a LEO and a civilian goes wrong, again IMO, is that the civilian did not follow the request of the LEO
or acted in a manner that could be concived as a threat to the LEO.
Here is a perfect example that just happened of the very situation that you describe. Not following the LEO's "request" as well as the LEO "conceiving a threat".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is an interesting short video of a judge
who gets angry because a corrupt cop &
prosecutor persecute an innocent woman.
I like seeing judges refuse to go along with
thugs who try to railroad innocent civilians.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The investigative journalist who posted this video explained
how cops lose qualified immunity in some cases (starts at 4:20)
It makes sense regarding how a first case can arise. (They lose
qualified immunity only if an identical case has been previously
adjudicated.)
After the Turner case....
Turner v. Driver - Wikipedia
...cops are on notice that it's legal to record cops. Of course,
it was legal beforehand, but the cops couldn't be sued for
illegally arresting anyone for it.
After this ruling, cops would lose qualified immunity if they
arrest anyone for recording them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The investigative journalist who posted this video explained
how cops lose qualified immunity in some cases (starts at 4:20)
It makes sense regarding how a first case can arise. (They lose
qualified immunity only if an identical case has been previously
adjudicated.)
After the Turner case....
Turner v. Driver - Wikipedia
...cops are on notice that it's legal to record cops. Of course,
it was legal beforehand, but the cops couldn't be sued for
illegally arresting anyone for it.
After this ruling, cops would lose qualified immunity if they
arrest anyone for recording them.
I still debate if I should get one of those cards that let the cops know your autistic. Some cops I don't worry about, and don't even think I'd need one. But some cops are rotten and it's those rotten ones that make me fear such a thing would only make things worse for myself by them taking it as an excuse and trying to get out of things (there's one particular pig who comes to mind whenever I think about this issue).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I still debate if I should get one of those cards that let the cops know your autistic. Some cops I don't worry about, and don't even think I'd need one. But some cops are rotten and it's those rotten ones that make me fear such a thing would only make things worse for myself by them taking it as an excuse and trying to get out of things (there's one particular pig who comes to mind whenever I think about this issue).
You'll prolly never need such a card.
But if you ever do, & don't have it...
So I recommend planning for the worst.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm scared if a pig is already assuming I'm intoxicated then he'll just see that card as trying to cover it up.
If they abuse you for a DUI after seeing the card,
this'll be a gold mine several years later when they
settle your suit.

averageJOE

zombie
It's a sad, sad realization when people (like you) actually feel the need to carry a card begging a cop not to kill or beat you because of who you are.:cry:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's a sad, sad realization when people (like you) actually feel the need to carry a card begging a cop not to kill or beat you because of who you are.:cry:
I haven't been beaten or killed, but I have been harassed, detained, and even put in their cars. They hear how I talk (monotone, slower rate of speech) and think I'm intoxicated and basically start using everything against me to try to prove the point (not necessarily understanding what they say, some confusion, and not acting like a normal person). Fortunately I've never been arrested for it, but it's scary (terrifying) when a police encounter involves pigs who upfront assume you are guilty.
And it's not just autism. "Walking while trans" is a thing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I haven't been beaten or killed, but I have been harassed, detained, and even put in their cars. They hear how I talk (monotone, slower rate of speech) and think I'm intoxicated and basically start using everything against me to try to prove the point (not necessarily understanding what they say, some confusion, and not acting like a normal person). Fortunately I've never been arrested for it, but it's scary (terrifying) when a police encounter involves pigs who upfront assume you are guilty.
And it's not just autism. "Walking while trans" is a thing.
Cops are typically incredibly unaware of civilian
diversity....the very young, very old, autistic,
balance issues, deaf, injuries, infirmities, handicaps,
& people just in fear of getting shot. They have so
little training for a profession with a license to kill.
There is so little supervision to prevent corruption
& incompetence. Gotta change.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Cops are typically incredibly unaware of civilian
diversity....the very young, very old, autistic,
balance issues, deaf, injuries, infirmities, handicaps,
& people just in fear of getting shot. They have so
little training for a profession with a license to kill.
There is so little supervision to prevent corruption
& incompetence. Gotta change.
Yeah. And as we see this situation is highly detrimental for everyone who isn't a cop. Those with mental illness are the number one group getting murdered by the police, and it's because they don't know what's going on and they are trigger happy. When one of the cops are a trained social worker and sent instead, things are so dramatically different that even arrests become rare. But those precincts themselves are rare, and often piggly-wiggly is sent, he shows up after things are smoothed out, he then reescalates things (I keep saying he but I've come across some unpleasant she-pigs) and someone with something like schizophrenia ends up dead. People with Alzheimer's get tased. It is entirely unacceptable.
I'd have to look more in depth to how other countries train and recruit police to have a solid answer, but to me, at this point, it looks like the police may require a four year degree just to learn the things they'll deal with. I would even say it should look similar to what a pre-law students routinely take with a few required psychology classes added on. I think it may even help to deter the bullies looking for a badge when they are actually having to learn, adequately and thoroughly, all the legal and philosophy and humanities stuff to not only better know how to do their job but also to understand the reasons behind it..

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Crooked cop frames teens, who spend years
in jail. Court rules that she's immune from
prosecution. She gets to continue being a
highly paid cop, & is even able to continue
framing innocent people for crimes.
Her immunity is enhanced by cross deputizing
her as a federal marshal, which gets her absolute
immunity (better than qualified immunity).
Such corruption is rife in Minneapolis St Paul &
the federal government.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
About the above case....
Minnesota & Minneapolis St Paul are liberal
hotbeds. Yet they've institutionalized brutal
policing that violates the Constitution.
It took a libertarian organization (Institute
For Justice) to fight for the victim's rights.
This is one area where libertarians differ from
mainstream liberal thought, ie, we favor strong
constitutionalcivil rights for civilians, & full
accountability for agents of government.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It appears that a majority of cops are clueless
about the Constitution & the laws they're
charged to enforce. Moreover, they're openly
hostile to civilians.
For those interested, here's another example
of cops illegally abusing people.
Note also that just as white cops abuse blacks,
black cops abuse whites.