• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Converted because of RF

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a question to satisfy my curiosity. Has anyone here converted to another faith primarily because of discussions you're had or read about here on RF. With so much proselytizing going on, I wonder if any of it has been at all successful.

If you don't feel comfortable admitting it, that's fine too.

I have seen a small handful of people (three I can think of) change their religious identification, but its usually been for a brief period of time. Anyone who joins the forum with the intent of converting others will probably be disappointed.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...to think, I was only 12 and didn't know practically anything about Catholic theology or mysticism when you first joined this forum :eek:

You still don't, if you ask me.

Just kidding, bro. I quite appreciate how much I've learned from you. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have seen a small handful of people (three I can think of) change their religious identification, but its usually been for a brief period of time. Anyone who joins the forum with the intent of converting others will probably be disappointed.

Pretty much what I've seen, too. Very few changes, althoug @Debater Slayer changed -- apparently permanently -- from believer to atheist. He might be the only one on the Forum who has never backtracked from a major change. Then again, it is rumored it was not the Forum that changed him into an atheist. It was the encouragement of his Imam, who found him insufferable.

However, @Jayhawker Soule has over the years noticeably deepened and enriched his understanding and appreciation of both Judaism in particular and human religiosity in general. He's come quite far in that, if you ask me. Not bad work for a man who can't stay away from the wine.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Every phone and tablet -- I'm assuming she's using one or the other -- is a wannabe avant-garde poet. That's what atheidm is.

Exactly. Living in a high rise apartment in HK has lifted her onto a new plain exalted above us lowly wannabe intellectuals. She can invent her own words and we can only glance in longing admiration!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Exactly. Living in a high rise apartment in HK has lifted her onto a new plain exalted above us lowly wannabe intellectuals. She can invent her own words and we can only glance in longing admiration!

I certainly know as a wannabe poet that I
myself frequently glance in longing admiration
towards the towers of Hong Kong. You speak
the truth, bro!

(Scholars Please Note: 'Truth', in this context, is
being unconventionally defined by Adrian and me.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's quite a feat, sixteen years is more than half my life - to think, I was only 12 and didn't know practically anything about Catholic theology or mysticism when you first joined this forum :eek:
Wow. Your age surprised me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, and I'm sure some are. It's got to be discouraging.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Atheism is not a religion.
Since absence of evidence is Not evidence of absence, than couldn't atheism be a religion in that it adheres to the view that there is No God, and since this can Not be proven, it is the exercise of faith in the non-existence of God (?)

Audie

Veteran Member
Since absence of evidence is Not evidence of absence, than couldn't atheism be a religion in that it adheres to the view that there is No God, and since this can Not be proven, it is the exercise of faith in the non-existence of God (?)

That makes no sense.

Unless you are a devotee of the religion of Apigism? You see no pigs in the house but there just might be some.

Why, the list is endless!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is a question to satisfy my curiosity. Has anyone here converted to another faith primarily because of discussions you're had or read about here on RF. With so much proselytizing going on, I wonder if any of it has been at all successful.

If you don't feel comfortable admitting it, that's fine too.

I think it helped me let go of a bunch of unnecessary garbage.
You go through a lot of stuff in life and sometimes forget to throw out the trash.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That makes no sense.

Unless you are a devotee of the religion of Apigism? You see no pigs in the house but there just might be some.

Why, the list is endless!

I wish I could give you double-winner ratings!
That was brilliant! Just perfect! um... it
was pretty good for a girl.

Whew! Almost let the cat out of the bag there!