• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conversion and name change

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Did Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and others (formerly Cat Stevens) have to change their names as a condition of conversion to Islam, or was it something they did on their own volition?
Sometimes forced conversions also might do this.
Should practitioners of any particular religion have a name that reflects the religion they practice?
Have you? or would you?

Levite

Higher and Higher
Converts to Judaism are expected to take on a Hebrew name for ritual purposes, but this is considered in addition to their present name, and need not replace it-- though some choose to replace their old name entirely, especially if it represents something of another religion (e.g., being named Christopher or Christina, or Muhammad). Often the Hebrew name taken is the cognate of one of the present names of the convert, or something close to it-- easy enough if it's a Biblical name, but I did know a Theodore who took the name Ahavyah (Theodore = "lover of God" in Greek, Ahavyah = "lover of God" in Hebrew).

tl: dr = one doesn't have to replace one's name as a convert to Judaism-- just add a Hebrew name.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you, Levite. Makes sense other than the idea that I didn't know you could convert to Judaism.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Converts to Judaism are expected to take on a Hebrew name for ritual purposes, but this is considered in addition to their present name, and need not replace it-- though some choose to replace their old name entirely, especially if it represents something of another religion (e.g., being named Christopher or Christina, or Muhammad). Often the Hebrew name taken is the cognate of one of the present names of the convert, or something close to it-- easy enough if it's a Biblical name, but I did know a Theodore who took the name Ahavyah (Theodore = "lover of God" in Greek, Ahavyah = "lover of God" in Hebrew).

tl: dr = one doesn't have to replace one's name as a convert to Judaism-- just add a Hebrew name.

People still ask me why I didn't take Ya'akov as my name since it's the Hebrew source of my given name, but I like Micah much, much better. Even if there isn't any connection between them.

Levite

Higher and Higher
People still ask me why I didn't take Ya'akov as my name since it's the Hebrew source of my given name, but I like Micah much, much better. Even if there isn't any connection between them.

Sure. It's all about what calls to you-- doesn't have to have any connection to your English (or whatever daily language) given name. I have a JBC friend whose English name is Joey, and he never even considered taking the name Yosef-- he went for Yechezkel (Ezekiel), because he developed such a passion for that particular prophet's book.

Makes sense other than the idea that I didn't know you could convert to Judaism.

Sure you can. We don't actively seek out (recruit) proselytes, because that is forbidden to us. But those who come of their own free will seeking to become Jews are absolutely welcomed. It's not an easy or quick process, but it's definitely possible.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We don't actively seek out (recruit) proselytes, because that is forbidden to us.

Other than one group's notable exception, neither do we. I changed my name, but I'm definitely in the minority on that one.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

We kind of have a religious name by default, for many (at last here)
Even without being religious, my parents gave me a name that mean "manifestation of God" in latin <____<"
Christian, mathieu, Jean...Many names have religious significance and are worn by both religious and non religious people.

I wouldn't change my name officially to match my religion. I think my name is a heritage from my parents, who took time and dedication in it, it's the mark of my family and have to honor it. Plus, I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a religious name, as religion is something very personnal and is deep inside of you, not outside. But this is only my opinion so it don't mean anything.

BUT.
If I enter religious order, I will then cast away my name (and all wordly attachements with it) to take a full religious name.
You have a name at each birth. Taking religious commitement is a second birth, for a second life, then Guru give you a name that will match and mark the stepping stone of a full spiritual life

Aum Namah Shivaya

I am one of the unluckier (or luckier) ones that have legally changed my given name to a religious one to reflect my religious practice of the time, and for more personal reasons. However by and large, I generally go with my middle name instead, which is a name my family prefers to call me by anyways.

Whether I like it or not, hearing my religious name every time I go to the doctor's office, or to the government office, etc. is kind of a blessing, I suppose!

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Did Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and others (formerly Cat Stevens) have to change their names as a condition of conversion to Islam, or was it something they did on their own volition?
Sometimes forced conversions also might do this.
Should practitioners of any particular religion have a name that reflects the religion they practice?
Have you? or would you?

As long as your name has a good meaning you can keep it in Islam.

An arab name is not always a "muslim name".
Also, the countries who have accepected Islam have their own names (and some muslim names).
Like the turkish, albanians, indonesians etc ...

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Converts to Orthodox Christianity must take on a Christian name upon conversion, if they don't already share the name of a Saint (and there are a LOT of Saints' names... :D ) If you already have a Christian name, then you are encouraged to keep that name, out of respect of the Saint whose name you share. However, if you really feel called to the protection, guidance and intercession of another Saint, then you are free to take on their name.

For many people, the name they took at conversion is only used for Sacramental purposes (like when receiving the Eucharist, the priest/deacon says "The servant/handmaiden of God _____ receives the most precious Body and Blood. . .), but some converts may even prefer to be called by their new name, and some even legally change their old names to their convert names!

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
It's sometimes practiced in Buddhism, but I don't think it's a requirement. I like having a Dharma name, it gives me a feeling of a deeper connection with my religion. I would never legally change my name, though, I'm quite proud of my Irish last name.

Draka

Wonder Woman
While in many forms of Paganism it most certainly is an option to legally change your name if you want to, it is not something expected or required of you. Many practitioners do, however, take on a spiritual/religious name that is to identify their spiritual self. Some may use it in ritual only, among members of their own faith, some may use it more openly (or even legally change it to that). It just depends on the person and how they view the sacredness of that name. For instance, my spiritual name is three names with each in honor of a specific goddess/elemental gaurdian/ancestor. "Draka" is actually my middle name of my spiritual name. I don't reveal the first and last name except to a certain select few "inner circle" people in my life.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you to all who have responded. There seems to be a general consensus ... when converting, you can change your name, or take on a religious name if you want to, but it's not required. Few do it legally.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This reminds me of a Japanese friend who converted to Islam. She is a proud Japanese lady and chose the name Doreino'arrah which means Slave of Allah (no L in Japanese). She essentially combined an Islamic phrase with the Japanese language to substitute for Abdullah. Quite ingenious if you ask me

Dena

I took on a second Hebrew name when I converted to Judaism. I have considered making it my legal middle name but I'm still not sure, since I was named after my grandmother.

Maya3

I don't have one.
For me it would feel very strange to suddenly change the name I've had all my life.
Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't have one.
For me it would feel very strange to suddenly change the name I've had all my life.
Maya

Indeed it did. Not so strange to me but to others. I did it in the middle of a school term when teaching. But guess who responded the best? .... My students. Why? because they knew me as a person first. Now ... the relatives who hadn't kept up with my life., other teachers, the parents of my students, former friends, etc. , many were shocked, dismayed. a couple suggested I change it back. I got a few snide looks and comments from the high school kids at school ... children will be children. :)

My wife and I slipped up maybe 10 times each over the next year, and used the former name. But like all changes, you do get used to it.