• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Controversial Agreement In Minneapolis With Teachers Union

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Minneapolis deserves the color over quality policy they choose .
Again, how does this being ground zero for the George Floyd fiasco factor in? What sort of connection is there between the police and the educators? Is this to make sure that educators don't sweep this under the rug?

Last edited by a moderator:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Equality and equity are virtue signal words
that mean whatever someone wants.
Even meaning discriminating against a
better qualified candidate based upon race.
It's the appearance of equality that counts
for some people.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Again, how does this being ground zero for the George Floyd fiasco factor in? What sort of connection is there between the police and the educators? Is this to make sure that educators don't sweep this under the rug?
I'm looking at the layoff policy.

I see no connection with George Floyd here.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Turning a complaint about racial discrimination into racism is just sick.
That's how a lot of them are though. These are the sorts who warned me to stay out of a black part of town where I used to live because I'll get mugged, told me to be very cautious and careful in Detroit because they "have lots of black people" and have a host of insults on hand to use against interracial children. They think black people are monolithic and not "acting black" and surprised when a black person doesn't act according to stereotypes.
Yeah, I've known many of these types who claim they aren't racist but will bad mouth black people (and others) all day long while only complaining when something doesn't benefit them or acts against them. Spend enough time with them and you'll even hear a few say they believe slavery should still be a thing. But ask them what affirmative action actually does and the best they can tell you is it kicks the better qualified candidate to the curb so a lesser qualified black person or woman can have the job.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
All it does is affirm that racism really works and is beneficial for a specified group of people that uses it.

It legitimizes anyone and everyone deciding to use and employ racism to their advantage.

Think that will solve anything?

You mean like affirmative action?

I'm only commenting on the craziness of saying anti racism is racism.

And I like living here where it's not the
24-7 topic.

Affirmative action is, by design discriminatory. But I don't think modern efforts are necessarily racist. Racism implies a negative assumption about a person's character based on race. In the case for (hopefully) affirmative action efforts, this is to combat discriminatory hiring in the other direction. It's somewhat ironic: a refusal to hire a particular group leads to a regulation requiring the hiring of that group.

But it's important to do if the specific group discriminated against unfairly is fighting to be treated as having the same rights as the other groups. Otherwise, how can they possibly hope to do so?

Audie

Veteran Member
Affirmative action is, by design discriminatory. But I don't think modern efforts are necessarily racist. Racism implies a negative assumption about a person's character based on race. In the case for (hopefully) affirmative action efforts, this is to combat discriminatory hiring in the other direction. It's somewhat ironic: a refusal to hire a particular group leads to a regulation requiring the hiring of that group.

But it's important to do if the specific group discriminated against unfairly is fighting to be treated as having the same rights as the other groups. Otherwise, how can they possibly hope to do so?
So it's not racist if I am denied admission
to a university in favour of some poc because
Asians famously study too hard?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Read your own words starting with
"Racism...."

Here is the quote:

The italicized piece is where I assume you pointed. I bolded the section that makes me think you are mistaken about my intention.