• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confused with religion

ruthp765

Sorry everyone if you have already read this but I think I posted it in the wrong plAce before :)
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and to the concept of forums..... so please excuse me getting things wrong here for a while.
Basically I have never really been raised to follow religion, however if asked I guess I would say christian. I use to attend sunday school when I was younger but I guess I was just too young to appreciate what it was about and hence I use to hate it.
Recently I have got a lot closer to new religions and it got me wondering. So initially I wanted to find out what proof there was of there being a God, so I started to research this and read many articles. I came to the conclusion that for me I do believe there is a God.
I then started to explore the various religions that believed in a God and now I am confused. I dont want to say what religions I have been looking into because I dont want to direct the replys to this post.
The main issue that I have is that all the religions of the book tend to be similar but at the same time how they practice their religions are so different. I dont get that... if God created us... WHY did he not just give one clear message. He created us he knows how our brains can function and therefore he must realise that by not giving the correct finished message at the first point and then... if need be, simple repeating that same first message then we would get confused. I know that some of the explanations for this are because God was doing this as things developed, but God is meant to know the beginning and the end so therefore did he not realise what would happen so that he could give it in the first message.
Anyway, I am sorry if this does not make much sense but I am so very confused right now.
I would like to hear comments from everyone, all religions, and discover why you believe that religion should be the one to be followed. Also I would like to hear comments from people who have converted out of a religion to see why you left that and what you have moved to.. if any. Also to hear comments from atheists.

Thanks everyone :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
friend ruthp,

Welcome to RF!
Best Wishes.

Love & rgds

n.b. Suggest just wander around reading whatever you wish for the understanding on religion, god etc.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Dear ruthp765, Whether you believe in God or not, whether you are confused or not - fact remains that you exist. Just try to understand what you are by figuring out why you think as you do. For this you have to follow your thoughts. Mind you, the attempt should be to find out what led to a particular thought at a particular moment. You are likely to discover a lot about yourself in such attempts. The more you discover yourself, the less you will need crutches called God or religion.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hi Ruth,

Once again, welcome to RF! :D

Yeah, this is a more appropriate section than the one you put it in before, but the mods can move things to more appropriate places.

I would personally suggest that you spend some time researching other religions, and see what you think.

I think you may have a lot in common with Bahá'í, as they have a concept of 'progressive revelation', or even Islam, who believe that they have had the same message from start to finish. However, I have more in common with Hinduism (Truth is one, sages call it by many names -- all faiths lead to God) and Sikhism (All religions are equal, and we all worship the same God) personally - these paths may or may not be for you.

Depending on what you believe God to be like, and your belief on the afterlife and such, I'm sure someone here can help put you on the right path. I too am a fellow seeker, except I believe my search is nearing an end as opposed to just beginning.

What would you like to get out of this religion? Are you looking for community, answers, rituals, inner peace, personal transformation, all, none, some, other? :D

If you want to see what religions you have most in common with, you could try the Belief-o-Matic quiz.

Hope this helps! Hope you stick around. This is a good site for seekers like us. :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Been there...did that.

Sorting through the postings here could take the rest of your life.
This forum is coming up on two million entries.

Of course going to the library would not be any easier.

Going to the web?....might as well jump in the ocean.

I'm an old guy. A rogue theologian.

Let me hand you a starting point....love God.

The expression that follows...
Do unto others as you would have them do into you.

You've never needed anything else or anything more.

But if you really feel the need to study....read the parables of the Carpenter, and place yourself in the story as you do so.

Green Kepi

I can discuss Christianity with you (don't wish to argue with others on my views though); however, I can just answer as to why I believe what I do. In doing so, I am not out to 'drive' a stake down on a certain point. If its Christianity your studying at a given time...use several different versions. I use the New International Version a lot...I try not to use the King James too much. Start looking at the Book of Acts. It focuses a lot on 'how to become a Christian'. Remember, we do not have any original manuscripts or even copies of them...so in a way, that's where much confusion comes into play. Some make fun of me in my accepting many things by my developed faith...but, so...to not believe also takes faith. You are to be commended by your questioning...don't accept any doctrine that comes along sounding good. Try to prove it to yourself first...any particular questions?

ruthp765

Thanks everyone, I will actually like to say that its Islam that I have been reading alot about recently. Odion.... you mentioned this as something I may be interested. I still have issues with many asoects of it, such as they believe that Mohammad (pbuh) had the final message of God, but again this makes me question why before this there were other messages. I realise that Islam claims that the message has not changed which is good but what about the previous messages, why have them??
Also I guess because I am from a western background I have problems accepting some of their views on women. Why is it ok for the man to only have to cover the private area and part of the leg whilst woman have to cover everything.... its not the womans fault if the man cant control his gaze??? I feel very strongly about this because I feel that just because a women chooses to dress comfortably for herself.... showing her arms or the bottom of her legs, this does not and should not be taken as an open invite for men. Please do correct me if I am wrong with any of what I have said as I am still learning.
I feel drawn towards Islam but I dont want to be told I have sinned by not wearing hijab or not covering up. When I look around me there are muslims that wear traditional dress and also those who choose to dress very western.
These problems have been whats lead me to exploring everything in detail and seeking answers to questions.
I really hope that none of what I have said has offended anyone

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Hi Ruth, :)

Regarding your question as to why God would muddle his message with different religions, no one can really answer that for sure. We can guess, and my guess would be that while goodness is inherent in most of us (which is why we end up trying to be the best people we can be), religion itself is man-made. Why God doesn't smack us upside our heads and straighten us out already, I don't know.

As for picking a religion, I hope you find the belief that inspires you the most to be a good person. :)

I was raised Catholic and am from a family of Christians, however Buddhism seemed to speak to me and inspire me. I do not call myself a Buddhist though. Because I cannot claim with all my heart that I have the answers and know that God does nor does not exist, I consider myself Agnostic.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hi, Ruth.
1) Don't pay too much attention to MurphtheSurf. He is so handsome & intelligent, that he has little understanding of us lower mortals.
2) Something to try:
When I see a complex situation I'm trying to understand, & there seem to be many contradictory things about it, I let go of the need to to
figure it all out. Just have fun investigating & exploring. Eventually, without being forced or stressed, you might come to an understanding.
Ignorance & confusion are my natural state, so I've had to come to terms with it.

Zadok

Zadok
Sorry everyone if you have already read this but I think I posted it in the wrong plAce before :)
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and to the concept of forums..... so please excuse me getting things wrong here for a while.
Basically I have never really been raised to follow religion, however if asked I guess I would say christian. I use to attend sunday school when I was younger but I guess I was just too young to appreciate what it was about and hence I use to hate it.
Recently I have got a lot closer to new religions and it got me wondering. So initially I wanted to find out what proof there was of there being a God, so I started to research this and read many articles. I came to the conclusion that for me I do believe there is a God.
I then started to explore the various religions that believed in a God and now I am confused. I dont want to say what religions I have been looking into because I dont want to direct the replys to this post.
The main issue that I have is that all the religions of the book tend to be similar but at the same time how they practice their religions are so different. I dont get that... if God created us... WHY did he not just give one clear message. He created us he knows how our brains can function and therefore he must realise that by not giving the correct finished message at the first point and then... if need be, simple repeating that same first message then we would get confused. I know that some of the explanations for this are because God was doing this as things developed, but God is meant to know the beginning and the end so therefore did he not realise what would happen so that he could give it in the first message.
Anyway, I am sorry if this does not make much sense but I am so very confused right now.
I would like to hear comments from everyone, all religions, and discover why you believe that religion should be the one to be followed. Also I would like to hear comments from people who have converted out of a religion to see why you left that and what you have moved to.. if any. Also to hear comments from atheists.

The reason there are so many religions is because G-d loves us and he wants us to choose according to our desire. Of course there is only one path and way by which we will be prepared to be g-ds living with G-d. But if you read the posts of this forum you will realize that very few seek G-d to be like him or one with him. Most desire something else – G-d allows us to follow the path we choose and we desire. He will not force who he is on anyone but he will make himself known to those that are willing to change allowing divine possibilities and should we ever declare in our heart – “Enough” – then it is done.

Zadok

Mr Cheese

I think you should follow my religion as we have hot babes
and we have the sabbath every day

[youtube]IkbMd3Bygzs[/youtube]
YouTube - Black Sabbath - Snowblind

Danny Heim

I was a Christian as a young man, last attempted it when I was 21. Pentecostal, you know, holy rollers. Speaking in tongues, all that. For me, it was an emotional nightmare. I never could believe I was saved, so I went to the alter about 50 freaking times. Suddenly, I just realized it was nuts, or I was anyway. Gave it up. Did a couple other religions, Hari Krishna’s once even, that one actually made sense, but the hair style and the chiffon robes…I just couldn't get into them, know what I mean?

I haven't been involved in a religion in 34 years now. Much, Much, better off. I am not saying that could be the case for you. Here's what I finally came to. It's a really big universe, and anything is possible and anything can happen. So, when the universe decides to right itself, just get out of its way.

And what that all means is, I am a human being on planet earth, I come here, I look around, and I see I am the highest order of species on this planet. Then I ask myself what does that mean? If I belong to the smartest and most able species on this planet, what am I supposed to do? It appears to me that I must supposed to be is a caretaker of the planet, since my species is the smartest; we have to have that responsibility, that then, is my religion I suppose. That's what we do, "we" being any species in the universe on any planet or otherwise, wake up somewhere, see where we are, and fit ourselves into whatever it looks like we are supposed to be, and then live happily ever after.

Last edited:

MurphtheSurf

Hi, Ruth.
1) Don't pay too much attention to MurphtheSurf. He is so handsome & intelligent, that he has little understanding of us lower mortals.
2) Something to try:
When I see a complex situation I'm trying to understand, & there seem to be many contradictory things about it, I let go of the need to to
figure it all out. Just have fun investigating & exploring. Eventually, without being forced or stressed, you might come to an understanding.
Ignorance & confusion are my natural state, so I've had to come to terms with it.

Don't pay any attention to Revoltingest, he WAS the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz. Now he's probably going to chase me around the forum like Barry used to.
Dang!

Last edited:

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk

Love.

That's everything in a nutshell. And I know it may sound trite and overly simplistic. But everything other than love is just noise.

All the talk about Gods and Angels and Devils and Demons. All the talk about sin and punishment. All the talk about absolute truths and commandments. All the talk about Jesus, Muhammad, Yahweh and Allah. All the talk about prophesy and revelations, substitional atonement, redemption and salvation. All this and so much more.

All this and so much more is just noise.

Treat people with love and kindness. Treat people fairly and with compassion. Treat people the way you would want to be treated.

If there is a God, and if His/Her name is Allah or Jehovah or simply "I am" or whatever, this God probably couldn't care less about our artificial motions. He/She probably couldn't care less whether we've walked the aisle, did our confession, prayed toward Mecca or whatever penny-ante human ceremonies we demand of ouselves and others to be "sanctified". Personally, I find all this trash to be an absolute joke.

And I mean that literally. People often search for absolute TRUTH. Well, I don't know if it exists. But the universe once told a joke, gave us a scrap of absolute comedy that is purely, perfectly meaningless, although at times it can make people feel better and sometimes it can be lashingly cruel . . . and that joke is religion.

As far as I can tell, if there is a God, then it seems to me the only righteous demand God makes of us is to love one another and do as little harm as we can while we pass our time here.

Last edited:

Danny Heim

Thanks everyone, I will actually like to say that its Islam that I have been reading alot about recently. Odion.... you mentioned this as something I may be interested. I still have issues with many asoects of it, such as they believe that Mohammad (pbuh) had the final message of God, but again this makes me question why before this there were other messages. I realise that Islam claims that the message has not changed which is good but what about the previous messages, why have them??
Also I guess because I am from a western background I have problems accepting some of their views on women. Why is it ok for the man to only have to cover the private area and part of the leg whilst woman have to cover everything.... its not the womans fault if the man cant control his gaze??? I feel very strongly about this because I feel that just because a women chooses to dress comfortably for herself.... showing her arms or the bottom of her legs, this does not and should not be taken as an open invite for men. Please do correct me if I am wrong with any of what I have said as I am still learning.
I feel drawn towards Islam but I dont want to be told I have sinned by not wearing hijab or not covering up. When I look around me there are muslims that wear traditional dress and also those who choose to dress very western.
These problems have been whats lead me to exploring everything in detail and seeking answers to questions.
I really hope that none of what I have said has offended anyone

I agree that part of Islam is weird. But at the same time, maybe they have something there?? Because for a man, the "gaze" is very hard to control, that is just fact. But controlling it is what we do, and it's no fun let me tell ya. We rubber neck because we rubber neck, it's just what we do. And as ugly as men’s bodies are, you women should feel lucky. Do ME a favor and become Islam. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Thanks everyone, I will actually like to say that its Islam that I have been reading alot about recently. Odion.... you mentioned this as something I may be interested.
I'm glad I could help. :)

I still have issues with many asoects of it, such as they believe that Mohammad (pbuh) had the final message of God, but again this makes me question why before this there were other messages. I realise that Islam claims that the message has not changed which is good but what about the previous messages, why have them??
The majority of Muslims believe the message has always been the same, and humans have changed it over time, either deliberately (for personal gain) or accidentally (mistranslations, misunderstanding, unreliable witnesses, etc etc). Your best bet is to ask the Muslims here if you feel like it, though, as I am not a Muslim whatsoever.

For that reason it's best to get the answers regarding your questions about Islam from Muslims, of Hinduism from Hindus, of Sikhism from Sikhs, of Mormonism from Mormons and so on.

Also I guess because I am from a western background I have problems accepting some of their views on women. Why is it ok for the man to only have to cover the private area and part of the leg whilst woman have to cover everything.... its not the womans fault if the man cant control his gaze??? I feel very strongly about this because I feel that just because a women chooses to dress comfortably for herself.... showing her arms or the bottom of her legs, this does not and should not be taken as an open invite for men.
I understand what you are saying. Personally I do not agree with Islam's message and I dislike this just as much as you do, as I'm big on equal rights for men and women.

When I first started on my journey, Islam was one of the first religions I looked at. The reason I was attracted to it was its simplicity of faith, and how it was a familiar-enough to me, it had all the prophets of Christianity, which I had known, and yet it was still exotic and unique.

Now, though, I wouldn't convert to Islam as I simply don't believe in its message. If you do though, start studying into it. I'm much happier with the Dharmic faiths, that often get overlooked, than the Abrahamic faiths. You just have to follow your heart.

Please do correct me if I am wrong with any of what I have said as I am still learning.
If you are up for it, you can discuss it with any of the Muslims. You can start up a thread in any relevant DIR, for example, if you wish to ask questions to Hindus, start one up in the Hindu DIR, Muslims, the Islam DIR, Christians the Christianity DIR, etc, etc.

BruceDLimber

Hi!

I'm a Baha'i, and IOV ALL the great religions are valid and God-sent!

The differences between them are their social laws (the spiritual laws being eternal and unchanging, though sometimes expressed in different wordings).

Each religion was revealed for a certain Age with the social laws humanity needed for that time. And each thus eventually gets superceded by a newer Divine Revelation (brought by another of God's Messengers) with updated laws and teachings for that Age.

So while there's a certain virtue to having the latest laws, the older religions remain valid paths to God also.

As to the extistence of God, both His existence and non-existence are equally unproveable by any objective means: that's why religions are called "faiths."

(If you'd like more information about the Baha'i Faith, BTW, please see the websites below.)

www.bahai.org
www.bahai.us

Best regards, and I wish you good hunting! :)

Bruce

Danny Heim

Love.

That's everything in a nutshell. And I know it may sound trite and overly simplistic. But everything other than love is just noise.

All the talk about Gods and Angels and Devils and Demons. All the talk about sin and punishment. All the talk about absolute truths and commandments. All the talk about Jesus, Muhammad, Yahweh and Allah. All the talk about prophesy and revelations, substitional atonement, redemption and salvation. All this and so much more.

All this and so much more is just noise.

Treat people with love and kindness. Treat people fairly and with compassion. Treat people the way you would want to be treated.

If there is a God, and if His/Her name is Allah or Jehovah or simply "I am" or whatever, this God probably couldn't care less about our artificial motions. He/She probably couldn't care less whether we've walked the aisle, did our confession, prayed toward Mecca or whatever penny-ante human ceremonies we demand of ouselves and others to be "sanctified". Personally, I find all this trash to be an absolute joke.

And I mean that literally. People often search for absolute TRUTH. Well, I don't know if it exists. But the universe once told a joke, gave us a scrap of absolute comedy that is purely, perfectly meaningless, although at times it can make people feel better and sometimes it can be lashingly cruel . . . and that joke is religion.

As far as I can tell, if there is a God, then it seems to me the only righteous demand God makes of us is to love one another and do as little harm as we can while we pass our time here.
here here