• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College students unclear about Free Speech - FIRE

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
This is the reason we should be very sceptical of opinion polls where people talk about values, the results are almost entirely dependant on question wording. As such, they are generally meaningless and are best ignored. We love polls because they have nice % figures that make us think they are 'scientific', but they are mostly worthless.

For example, do you believe that colleges should be able to punish someone for calling a black student a *n word*? If so, you agree with the latter. Or does free speech restriction make you think of 'snowflakes' and 'safe spaces', in which case you might be against restrictions.

Even with precise questions your wording makes a huge difference, with vague, fuzzy statements it means next to nothing. Also it's not just about the question, but the context. You could easily make this 57% change significantly based on the wording of the previous questions and how these 'prime' the responders.

The actual questions were listed at the end of the survey. They seem pretty clean to me.

Wandering Monk

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why? You favour curtailing freedom of speech to some degree too and I suspect that in practice, there isn't that wide a difference between your two positions.
A lot of us, including most of us Leftist,cringe at the idea of someone being silenced for having an opinion. As long as they aren't calling for violence or discrimination, people should be able to speak. People like Milo, they are inflammatory trolls who are best countered by being challenged in debate and thoroughly refuted. Don't silence them by not allowing them to speak, silence them with facts and by making them look like the fool they are.

Shad

Veteran Member
A lot of us, including most of us Leftist,cringe at the idea of someone being silenced for having an opinion. As long as they aren't calling for violence or discrimination, people should be able to speak. People like Milo, they are inflammatory trolls who are best countered by being challenged in debate and thoroughly refuted. Don't silence them by not allowing them to speak, silence them with facts and by making them look like the fool they are.

At times giving people face time only encourages them. Someone can hold some lecture or whatever they want to call it with a tiny audience. No one really cares. However people flipping out makes the news so people like Milo get free press only because of the outrage.

Media has used outrage to get viewer for years. Hence why the weather channel isn't like say Fox.

"Sunny with a chance of rain" Hard to spin that.

"Corn plants outraged over the lack of rain. Drop leaflet in protest!"

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
At times giving people face time only encourages them. Someone can hold some lecture or whatever they want to call it with a tiny audience. No one really cares. However people flipping out makes the news so people like Milo get free press only because of the outrage.

Media has used outrage to get viewer for years. Hence why the weather channel isn't like say Fox.

"Sunny with a chance of rain" Hard to spin that.

"Corn plants outraged over the lack of rain. Drop leaflet in protest!"

The Weather Channel website sometimes has articles on climate change. Just yesterday I saw this article on deforestation in the Amazon: Amazon Deforestation Is Fast Approaching a 'Tipping Point,' Studies Show | The Weather Channel

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Exactly that. Controversy sells, and it's free advertisement. So many people would have died broke and in total obscurity, but people get offended and announce to the world the existence of what/who offended them. So more people, including supporters of the offender, learn about and discover this offending thing, and suddenly, like Eminem and Milo, instead of obscurity they have wealth and fame.

icehorse

Premium Member
Do you think colleges should be able to punish people for racial abuse?

You'd have to define what you mean. But I do think that racists ought to be able to speak, and be criticized, on campus. It's not easy to listen to vile speech, but it's a skill college students have to learn.

Shad

Veteran Member
Exactly that. Controversy sells, and it's free advertisement. So many people would have died broke and in total obscurity, but people get offended and announce to the world the existence of what/who offended them. So more people, including supporters of the offender, learn about and discover this offending thing, and suddenly, like Eminem and Milo, instead of obscurity they have wealth and fame.

Yup. Milo then obviously uses the outrage as a springboard. He gets interviewed, spouts off followed by outrage /repeat.

Shad

Veteran Member
You'd have to define what you mean. But I do think that racists ought to be able to speak, and be criticized, on campus. It's not easy to listen to vile speech, but it's a skill college students have to learn.

An issue these days is the privatization of media and academy having enabled various groups to pick which views it wants on campus. The principle is not longer being practiced by many institution only lip-service is bothered with. Media giants can easily reduce free speech to a street corner.

For example saying a man is not a woman can get you banned on Twitter.

icehorse

Premium Member
An issue these days is the privatization of media and academy having enabled various groups to pick which views it wants on campus. The principle is not longer being practiced by many institution only lip-service is bothered with. Media giants can easily reduce free speech to a street corner.

For example saying a man is not a woman can get you banned on Twitter.

Right, and ugh! I would hope that private schools don't have the legal right to abridge speech, but I'm not sure.

As for media like twitter, I think some of these giants need to be recategorized as providing a new form of "the commons", and therefore not be allowed to abridge speech.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Right, and ugh! I would hope that private schools don't have the legal right to abridge speech, but I'm not sure.

As for media like twitter, I think some of these giants need to be recategorized as providing a new form of "the commons", and therefore not be allowed to abridge speech.
Just as we prevent economic monopolies to ensure free
markets for goods & services, so can we prevent speech
venue monopolies to ensure free markets for ideas.

Shad

Veteran Member

They do via code of conduct. Religious schools have been doing it for decades.

I agree.

The problem is competition is slanted in favour of the media giants ad revenue is ad driven. A competitor with a open policy risks losing ad revenue due to public outrage.

icehorse

Premium Member
They do via code of conduct. Religious schools have been doing it for decades.

I agree.

The problem is competition is slanted in favour of the media giants ad revenue is ad driven. A competitor with a open policy risks losing ad revenue due to public outrage.

I know. I really feel sorry for those media giants trying to defend their billions of dollars of profit.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know. I really feel sorry for those media giants trying to defend their billions of dollars of profit.
If the playing field is level, they'll do well regardless of how
speech regulation or deregulation proceeds. This explains
why some call for regulation...useful regulation.

Shad

Veteran Member
If the playing field is level, they'll do well regardless of how
speech regulation or deregulation proceeds. This explains
why some call for regulation...useful regulation.

You need to counter for the public and their whim. Look at the Betsy Ross flag. A whole product line pulled because some group used it while every ignores the myth about the flag itself.

Will people abandon the Pride flag if some nazi group uses it. Fascist and Fabulous!