• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COL 2:16 And The Sabbath - Are You Being Told The Truth?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Please quote one verse that says Christisnd wordhipped on Sunday.
Look at Acts 20. It says that the disciples were gathered in an upper room for a meal. First of all, we have to understand that this wasn’t just a “Rotary Club luncheon.” This was to celebrate the Lord’s Supper. It was worship. Second, since Paul was with them, we have to understand that this wasn’t a one-off. It happened probably every week. Then we have to ask “why?” Why would the disciples do that? The best answer is that it was on the first day of the week, which was when the Resurrection happened.

It’s interesting that Paul, in 1 Cor. Refers to Sunday as “the Lord’s Day.” It’s also interesting that. The Holy Spirit was conferred on the Apostles at Pentecost on Sunday. There are other theological reasons for worshiping on Sunday, which may be cogent to this particular discussion, but are not specifically pertinent to your question.

lostwanderingsoul

Look at Acts 20. It says that the disciples were gathered in an upper room for a meal. First of all, we have to understand that this wasn’t just a “Rotary Club luncheon.” This was to celebrate the Lord’s Supper. It was worship. Second, since Paul was with them, we have to understand that this wasn’t a one-off. It happened probably every week. Then we have to ask “why?” Why would the disciples do that? The best answer is that it was on the first day of the week, which was when the Resurrection happened.

It’s interesting that Paul, in 1 Cor. Refers to Sunday as “the Lord’s Day.” It’s also interesting that. The Holy Spirit was conferred on the Apostles at Pentecost on Sunday. There are other theological reasons for worshiping on Sunday, which may be cogent to this particular discussion, but are not specifically pertinent to your question.
OK this is good. The disciples gathered on Sunday for a meal. They probrbly prayed and worshipped for a while. But this was not a regular church service. People are free to worship as many times a week as they wish. But God made the seventh day HOLY and the commandment says to remember the seventh day to KEEP it HOLY. You can go to church any day you want but God's holy day is the seventh and no man can change that.

sojourner

OK this is good. The disciples gathered on Sunday for a meal. They probrbly prayed and worshipped for a while. But this was not a regular church service. People are free to worship as many times a week as they wish. But God made the seventh day HOLY and the commandment says to remember the seventh day to KEEP it HOLY. You can go to church any day you want but God's holy day is the seventh and no man can change that.
No, I think that it’s clear that it was a regular celebration of the Eucharist (that would later become the Sunday Mass). This was more than just “a meal” as I said earlier. Such services featured speakers; Paul was the speaker on this particular occasion. This service very much falls within the range of “the Apostles’ teaching.”

In fact the Didache itself — “the Teaching of the Twelve” has this to say about Sunday worship:

“On the Lord’s day, when you have been gathered together, break bread and celebrate the Eucharist. But first confess your sins so that your offering may be pure. If anyone has a quarrel with his neighbor, that person should not join you until he has been reconciled. Your sacrifice must not be defiled. In this regard, the Lord has said: In every place and time offer me a pure sacrifice. I am a great king, says the Lord, and my name is great among the nations.”

Eucharist, confession, sacrifice — these are established acts of worship, based on earlier, Judaic worship practices, since the Twelve were Jewish.

We know that the Bible speaks of Sunday as “the Lord’s Day.” This is further evidence that it’s the Apostles’ teaching, as found in Acts 20, referring to pure worship regularly on Sunday. This is the teaching of the apostles. And It’s found in the Bible. The teaching assumes that this is both their regular practice and the regular practice of Christians under their tutelage.

lostwanderingsoul

No, I think that it’s clear that it was a regular celebration of the Eucharist (that would later become the Sunday Mass). This was more than just “a meal” as I said earlier. Such services featured speakers; Paul was the speaker on this particular occasion. This service very much falls within the range of “the Apostles’ teaching.”

In fact the Didache itself — “the Teaching of the Twelve” has this to say about Sunday worship:

“On the Lord’s day, when you have been gathered together, break bread and celebrate the Eucharist. But first confess your sins so that your offering may be pure. If anyone has a quarrel with his neighbor, that person should not join you until he has been reconciled. Your sacrifice must not be defiled. In this regard, the Lord has said: In every place and time offer me a pure sacrifice. I am a great king, says the Lord, and my name is great among the nations.”

Eucharist, confession, sacrifice — these are established acts of worship, based on earlier, Judaic worship practices, since the Twelve were Jewish.

We know that the Bible speaks of Sunday as “the Lord’s Day.” This is further evidence that it’s the Apostles’ teaching, as found in Acts 20, referring to pure worship regularly on Sunday. This is the teaching of the apostles. And It’s found in the Bible. The teaching assumes that this is both their regular practice and the regular practice of Christians under their tutelage.
The comments in the didache were written by humans using their human understanding. I prefer the words written by God.

sojourner

The comments in the didache were written by humans using their human understanding. I prefer the words written by God.
No such thing. God wrote nothing. Additionally, when the Bible says to “continue in the Apostles’ teaching,” I guess from the above statement that you think that biblical statement is bull crap? Because the Didache is the Apostles’ teaching.

lostwanderingsoul

No such thing. God wrote nothing. Additionally, when the Bible says to “continue in the Apostles’ teaching,” I guess from the above statement that you think that biblical statement is bull crap? Because the Didache is the Apostles’ teaching.
Who decides who is an apostle?

3rdAngel

Where does the bible speak of Sunday as "THE LORD'S DAY"? - It doesn't.

JOHN being in the spirit on the Lord's day in REVELATION 1:10 is in reference to JOHN pointing out Christs divinity as creator of Heaven and earth and Lord of the Sabbath given to mankind *MARK 2:27-28 at creation *GENESIS 2:1-3.

So which day is "THE LORD'S DAY" according to the scriptures?

MATTHEW 12:8, FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY.

According to the scriptures "THE LORDS DAY" is the "SABBATH DAY"

Nope no Sunday there....

I challenge you or anyone here to find me one scripture as you claim that says "Sunday" (or the first day of the week) is "THE LORDS DAY"?

The claim that "Sunday" is "THE LORD'S DAY" is not biblical and is a man-made teaching and tradition that has lead many to break God's 4th commandment handed down by the Roman Catholic Church to most of Christianity.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

Where does the bible speak of Sunday as "THE LORD'S DAY"? - It doesn't.

JOHN being in the spirit on the Lord's day in REVELATION 1:10 is in reference to JOHN pointing out Christs divinity as creator of Heaven and earth and Lord of the Sabbath given to mankind *MARK 2:27-28 at creation *GENESIS 2:1-3.

So which day is "THE LORD'S DAY" according to the scriptures?

MATTHEW 12:8, FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY.

According to the scriptures "THE LORDS DAY" is the "SABBATH DAY"

Nope no Sunday there....

I challenge you or anyone here to find me one scripture as you claim that says "Sunday" (or the first day of the week) is "THE LORDS DAY"?

This is a man-made teaching and tradition that has lead many to break God's 4th commandment handed down by the Roman Catholic Church to most of Christianity that is not biblical.

God blessed the seventh day and made it holy. Nothing in the Bible changes that and no human can change what God made holy. People will make all kinds of excuses not to follow what God says.

3rdAngel

That's part of Jewish Law, thus not binding on Gentiles.

Your confesed here. According to the scirptures, there was no ISREAL and no JEW and no SIN when the Sabbath was made for all mankind *MARK 2:27-28; GENESIS 2:1-3.

3rdAngel

See Rev. 1:10.

Nonsense! Show me where it says in REVELATION 1:10 that "SUNDAY" (or the first day of the week) is "THE LORDS DAY"? The use of the GREEK "LORDS DAY" κυριακός means the LORD'S ownership of the day ἡμέρα which the scriptures say is the SABBATH DAY *MATTHEW 12:8. JOHN being in the spirit on the Lord's day in REVELATION 1:10 is in reference to JOHN pointing out Christs divinity as creator of Heaven and earth and Lord of the Sabbath given to mankind *MARK 2:27-28 at creation *GENESIS 2:1-3.

Last edited: