• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN admits “Trump's right: The economy is doing well and he deserves some credit”

Shaul

Premium Member
Even when CNN says Trump deserves credit for the economy some sufferers on “Trump derangement syndrome” can’t bring themselves to admit it. How priceless.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Too bad Trump has already denounced CNN as fake news so they're not to be trusted ;)
The salient point isn't that CNN is trustworthy, but rather that
one so committed to opposing Trump is doing an about face.

The economy is improving...that's easily seen.
But for CNN to recognize this, & even credit their foe...unexpected.
Btw, I don't give him much credit at this stage.
I see primarily long term benefits from tax & regulatory changes.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Trump deserves credit here but let's be honest, it didn't start with him. He inherited a good economy from Obama. Trump deserves credit for continuing the trend.

Most of us tend to believe whatever gets us through the night.

suncowiam

Most of us tend to believe whatever gets us through the night.

And when I start throwing actual data at you, will you actually agree with the data?

Trump has never faced an economical crisis. He was handed a very good economy. That does help huh?

You're blinded by just numbers but you don't see the trend or the differential.

What Obama did was take an economical crisis from Bush and reversed the trend. He gave Trump an economy that was positive in differential. Trump is just continuing that positive rate.

So good for Trump and he deserves credit for that, but so does Obama.

If you want to challenge that, go ahead. I'm ready with actual data...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Trump deserves credit here but let's be honest, it didn't start with him. He inherited a good economy from Obama. Trump deserves credit for continuing the trend.
Obama enjoyed an improving economy because it is a bigger thing than a President.
But his efforts actually caused the slowness of recovery with regulatory interference,
eg, opposing Fannie Mae's & Freddie Mac's renegotiating troubled loans, forcing
lenders to foreclose upon troubled loans instead of renegotiating them, inhibiting
originating new loans to replace costlier old ones.
He really scrooed the pooch in this area.

The economy is also bigger than Trump, so improvement could be happening
in spite of him. We must look at policies that each effected, & judge the merit
& consequences of those.

Last edited:

suncowiam

Obama enjoyed an improving economy because it is a bigger thing than a President.
But his efforts actually caused the slowness of recovery with regulatory interference,
eg, opposing Fannie Mae's & Freddie Mac's renegotiating troubled loans, forcing
lenders to foreclose upon troubled loans instead of renegotiating them, inhibiting
originating new loans to replace costlier old ones.
He really scrooed the pooch in this area.

I'll agree with you on that aspect but with the caveat that a very loose economy is bad for other environmental and social issues.

I wouldn't say that Obama screwed that up but found a better balance between economical, social including health care and environmental issues.

I've said this before... It's not hard to just go all in on the economy if you don't care of the other aspects that we citizens have to live with.

So I agree with you but not all for the same reasons.

[Edited] A prime example is China who sacrifices it's environment to play catch up economics with other major powers. Now, they're reversing the trend because they've caught up.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....a very loose economy is bad for other environmental and social issues.
Those are separate issues from a free & strong economy.
In fact, a strong economy can finance improvements in both areas.
I wouldn't say that Obama screwed that up but found a better balance between economical, social including health care and environmental issues.
Balance?
1) How did the continuing prevention of refinancing troubled loans, thereby sending people into foreclosure & bankruptcy help anyone?
2) How did taxing those who could refinance for waived principal & interest help them recover? (This even prevented many refinances because lenders required that new borrowers had cash on hand to pay this tax liability. I know because it was required of me on multiple loans.)
I've said this before... It's not hard to just go all in on the economy if you don't care of the other aspects that we citizens have to live with.
I see no need to ignore other aspects.
Moreover, harming the economy as Obama's administration did caused social harm.
So I agree with you but not all for the same reasons.

[Edited] A prime example is China who sacrifices it's environment to play catch up economics with other major powers. Now, they're reversing the trend because they've caught up.
FYI, I favor stronger (better) environmental protection....for libertarian & aesthetic reasons.

Shaul

Premium Member
Dude... You are a Trump supporter. You're Canadian, right?

At least you're not many here that claim they don't support Trump but still voted for him.
Dude, I’m a red-blooded American. I voted in 2016, but not for Trump.

ecco

Veteran Member
Soooo...are you saying the economy is not doing well?
A massive tax cut produces a one year boost for the economy. Yay! What's he gonna do next year - cut taxes again? Whatever happened to balanced budget? Oh, wait, if there is no budget, there is nothing to balance. We'll just have continuing resolutions until Dems take over again. Then the Repubs will go back to yelling about tax deficits and balanced budget.

Shaul

Premium Member
And when I start throwing actual data at you, will you actually agree with the data?

Trump has never faced an economical crisis. He was handed a very good economy. That does help huh?

You're blinded by just numbers but you don't see the trend or the differential.

What Obama did was take an economical crisis from Bush and reversed the trend. He gave Trump an economy that was positive in differential. Trump is just continuing that positive rate.

So good for Trump and he deserves credit for that, but so does Obama.

If you want to challenge that, go ahead. I'm ready with actual data...
In your opinion. Instead of throwing facts back and forth, which are subject to interpretations, why not step it up? Supply the single act the Obama did that you think accounts for how the economy is doing. What major legislation did he pass during his second term? What major initiative? What trade treaty or bill? Go ahead, tell us.