• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cloning - hmmm,,, what to do?

cablescavenger

If human cloning came on board in the next 10 years who would want a mini me?

Who would want a Jack in favour of a Jill? Who would want a genetic disease removing from their offspring? and who would want to do it the old fashioned way?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think I'd touch cloning, personally. I don't want another me.

As for kids, the movie Gattaca brings up all sorts of questions. (If available, should you genetically improve your kids? What ramifications does it have? If you could improve intelligence, physical ability, and health, and substantially decrease disease, would it be a disservice to the child not to? What unforeseen issues could this cause if you do genetically modify them?)

I'm not really into the idea of having kids, but if I have some, I'd prefer it in a more natural way. Though if I had kids that ended up getting diseases and having disadvantages from an early age, and I could have prevented it, I'd feel pretty bad about that.

LongGe123

If we're talking about having kids, I'd never use cloning as a method. The fact the world has been inflicted with one of me is enough, never mind making a second identical one. As a gay man, I'm much more interested in the idea of adopting a child. There are so many children in the world who need good homes. And while I would tolerate other people's decisions to go with a clone if that's what they want, I certainly wouldn't accept or approve, especially gay men, not when there are so many children who need loving parents.

Cloning as a concept is very exciting though, but is so typically attacked by pessimists as "dangerous" - you know, all new technology is "dangerous" in the wrong hands. It never stopped us building cannons and rifles, did it? Can you imagine if now, the gun had just been invented, and it was demonstrated in front of a crowd of people. Imagine what they'd talk about "it's far too dangerous this technology, imagine if some crazy guy had one of those, he'd kill hundreds of people!"

Point is, any new technology is dangerous in the hands of the wrong people, it's NOT a reason not to pursue it. I wouldn't want a "mini-me", and I wouldn't use it to create perfect kids or anything, but I'd support it as a new branch of technological development

Zion4ever

zion4ever
No , I don't think it will be in next 10 years , I think there is 2 System of cloning
therapeutic cloning and reproductive cloning.
Reproductive cloning is unproven, risky and represents a “tragic misunderstanding” of human identity , it aises ethical, theological and moral concerns .
therapeutic cloning which could lead to transfers of compatible tissue in transplants, would not necessarily lead to the dangerous practice of reproductive cloning .
May Some take the view that cloning can be a commandment, for example, if it is used to help infertile couples.
Others consider it immoral to make a genetic copy of someone.
To me ... medical research of cloning is acceptable, but actual cloning of humans is not.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire

Who would want a Jack in favour of a Jill? Who would want a genetic disease removing from their offspring? and who would want to do it the old fashioned way?

I'm very vain, humanity would be so lucky as to have millions of my gentic identicals running around.

To be honest, I'd prefer to have kids the old fashioned way...natural selection has worked well for billions of years. By contrast, human engineers (genetic or otherwise) are famous for their lack of foresight.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I already have more than one mini-me.
I didn't need cloning.
And it was much more fun my way.

I'm on the fence about cloning.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Given human overpopulation, human cloning seems like an epically stupid idea. Talk about throwing more oil onto the fire. Good grief.

cablescavenger

I don't think I'd touch cloning, personally. I don't want another me.

As for kids, the movie Gattaca brings up all sorts of questions. (If available, should you genetically improve your kids? What ramifications does it have? If you could improve intelligence, physical ability, and health, and substantially decrease disease, would it be a disservice to the child not to? What unforeseen issues could this cause if you do genetically modify them?)

I'm not really into the idea of having kids, but if I have some, I'd prefer it in a more natural way. Though if I had kids that ended up getting diseases and having disadvantages from an early age, and I could have prevented it, I'd feel pretty bad about that.

Gattaca, what a great film.

Absolute Zero

fon memories
Cloning to me is very stupid especially if people with a need for power or fear of death who are in power would do with said tech.Pluse you have all the ethical issues as will as the moral and thelogical issues. I mean think about it for a momment do you think that such things wont be advantages to someone some where in the world ?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist

We already have plenty of natural clones--twins, triplets, quadruplets, etc. We can even cause them to happen with fertility drugs. Cloning oneself would just be creating a twin that is out of sync with oneself in the aging process. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that.

Zoe Doidge

Basically a Goddess
Creating genetic duplicates of someone seems like a a bit of a waste of time, although I expect it'll happen. I doubt it would be particularly popular as a general reproductive method though.

But genetic engineering of offspring will definitely happen. At first for simple things like correcting genetic disorders or selecting particular traits (especially gender). Later on for correcting imperfections in the human genome (our lack of ability to synthesize Vitamin C for example) and eventually mass improvements, hybridizing features from other species or simply inventing our own new features.

cablescavenger

We already have plenty of natural clones--twins, triplets, quadruplets, etc. We can even cause them to happen with fertility drugs. Cloning oneself would just be creating a twin that is out of sync with oneself in the aging process. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that.
I don't know why either.

I did a bit more poking around and I can't see anyone seriously suggesting cloning because it comes with considerable risk.

Last edited: