• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Impacts 'Overwhelming'

Wirey

Fartist
Be as frightened as you like....but I do not want to pay money to any stand over group to save me from the boogie man...

PS...That's where the IPCC climate models are failing....they predicted a sharp rise in temperatures as CO2 levels increased...but the temperature did not track it....indeed the temperature has been more or less flat over the last 18 years while CO2 climbed linearly. CO2 lags temperature, not lead...look at the graph... Iow, temperature increase causes release of natural CO2...

I know, but there are a whole crapload of unknowns. What if temperature rise is delayed by a mechanism we are as yet unaware of? Like, the sun radiates the most heat at 12:00, but the warmest part of the day is 2:00 because the entirety of the system needs time to catch up? I'm not claiming to know exactly what will happen, and I'm not claiming that the scientists are 100% correct. But, so far science has had a bad habit of following through.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I know, but there are a whole crapload of unknowns. What if temperature rise is delayed by a mechanism we are as yet unaware of? Like, the sun radiates the most heat at 12:00, but the warmest part of the day is 2:00 because the entirety of the system needs time to catch up? I'm not claiming to know exactly what will happen, and I'm not claiming that the scientists are 100% correct. But, so far science has had a bad habit of following through.
Scientific theories, despite the inertia of the orthodox adherents, is always making way for newer and more accurate research....that's the follow through that works, ...and latest research into CO2 climate temperature forcing is of an order that suggests that IPCC climate model's CO2 sensitivity levels are set too high and the newer calculations better matches observations... So far as the lag you suggest wrt warming, of course you are right, but the energy balance of planetary climate is not sufficiently understood at this stage to be able to create accurate predictive models...it's evolving and and may take a long time as the comprehensive data collection from ground, ocean, satellite, and space platforms necessary to understand the complex energy budget is in its relative infancy, and a hundred years is like a minute to planetary climate change...

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
A friend of mine works 6 months per year in Antarctica and has done so for somewhere around 10 years, and I won't use the words he uses when referring to global-warming deniers. Even though he's not a scientist, he does talk with them all the time (usually over beer, he says), but the most shocking thing is what he sees, namely the lowering of snow levels that are noticeably significant even just over the years he's been there.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I agree. But the denial seems misplaced. At worst, we pollute less.
If you have been following this thread,,,skeptics are not denying the observed temperature data....just not agreeing that the agw scientists have been able to prove that humans are the predominate cause, As for pollution, this is a totally different subject and skeptics are on the same page....as for CO2, it is plant food and not a pollutant...the earth's vegetation has increased with the higher CO2 levels according to peer reviewed studies...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
A friend of mine works 6 months per year in Antarctica and has done so for somewhere around 10 years, and I won't use the words he uses when referring to global-warming deniers. Even though he's not a scientist, he does talk with them all the time (usually over beer, he says), but the most shocking thing is what he sees, namely the lowering of snow levels that are noticeably significant even just over the years he's been there.
Antarctica is a big place...and like everywhere, there are regions warmer than average and other regions colder. In Antarctica, the greater part is colder and if you have been following this thread, you would know that ice level coverage in Antarctica has increased every decade for the last 35 years. They now stand at the highest levels since records began, and also new records in cold temperatures are being broken in many parts.

That's the problem with personal anecdotal pub talk....it bears little resemblance to the scientific facts concerning the Antarctica continent as a whole. As for your friend's use of the word denier, as I explained in my previous post....skeptics have no problem with the observed temperature data....only that we do no like lies and misrepresentation of natural climate change, nor are we convinced that humans are the predominate cause of it.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
As the ice recedes we will learn more about the Earth. As the Sun eradicates us we will learn more about the Earth. It's a win, win.

The Sun will expand, shrink and wane in intensity, I believe. It will help us build upon the cycles of evolution.

But Man caused greenhouse gas isn't a joke. We've been excessively detrimental to the whole eco system, ocean and land in a century.

The Ocean is being ruined, it's not a joke. The Amazon is on the verge of annihilation, that eco system will take thousands of years to return.

We almost got hit by an asteroid, I marvel at Man's resolve or sense of denial.

The TV is still on and people are watching the Kardashians and gypsy hoe's.

The press didn't even attempt to sensationalize how life was almost eradicated in the close shave.

Now that technology is on par, MY GOD, there's **** floating around twice the size of Earth out there.

Thank God for the Sun, eh.

7062671_orig.gif

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As the ice recedes we will learn more about the Earth. As the Sun eradicates us we will learn more about the Earth. It's a win, win.

The Sun will expand, shrink and wane in intensity, I believe. It will help us build upon the cycles of evolution.

But Man caused greenhouse gas isn't a joke. We've been excessively detrimental to the whole eco system, ocean and land in a century.

The Ocean is being ruined, it's not a joke. The Amazon is on the verge of annihilation, that eco system will take thousands of years to return.

We almost got hit by an asteroid, I marvel at Man's resolve or sense of denial.

The TV is still on and people are watching the Kardashians and gypsy hoe's.

The press didn't even attempt to sensationalize how life was almost eradicated in the close shave.

Now that technology is on par, MY GOD, there's **** floating around twice the size of Earth out there.

Thank God for the Sun, eh.

7062671_orig.gif
Angst much?

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
In addition to a non-existent energy policy, unfortunately, we have a non-existent environmental policy. Even Obama, who so many of us were optimistic about when he started 6 years ago has been unsuccessful in taking on the oil powers and polluters. What a shame.