• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Impacts 'Overwhelming'

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No, according to the mainstream science there is a trend. Hence I am asking you, hypothetically what would be a significant change in temperature?
It is a perfectly reasonable question.

So far you have just said that 1c is not significant, but have not argued why - nor have you identified what a significant increase would be and why.
Trends can be cherry picked...the facts are that there has been a 0.7 C increase in average global temperature over 135 years. There is the fact that agw science has through the IPCC projected various trends on the basis of climate computer models that fail in their predictions against actual observed temperatures over time, and so can be discarded as being useful in predicting future global temperature.

That;s all I am interested in conveying to you, the actual complexity of global climate is way beyond understanding to properly forecast global climate...and so you be as alarmed as you jolly like...but don't ask me to join in what to me are stupid hypotheticals..

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Trends can be cherry picked...the facts are that there has been a 0.7 C increase in average global temperature over 135 years. There is the fact that agw science has through the IPCC projected various trends on the basis of climate computer models that fail in their predictions against actual observed temperatures over time, and so can be discarded as being useful in predicting future global temperature.

That;s all I am interested in conveying to you, the actual complexity of global climate is way beyond understanding to properly forecast global climate...and so you be as alarmed as you jolly like...but don't ask me to join in what to me are stupid hypotheticals..
So asking you what would be significant is stupid huh?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Not only stupid....but you are, imho, exhibiting trollish like behaviour...
Right so you dismiss what you say is the scientific data that a 1c rise in temperature will occur, because such a rise is not significant, but I'm a troll because I am asking you what would be significant?

Is that it Ben?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Right so you dismiss what you say is the scientific data that a 1c rise in temperature will occur, because such a rise is not significant, but I'm a troll because I am asking you what would be significant?

Is that it Ben?
Yes....

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Well it's not much of an argument mate.

Basically science is making a big deal out of nothing because you say so? Gee. Brilliant.

On the other side of the argument is reason.
Haha...I post actual observed temperatures about which you couldn't refute as being valid, and everyone can see they are not scary.....so you post scary predicted temperatures and want me to treat them as real. The science I provided is settled science....you otoh are only providing scary unsettled prophecy...

Look, the chicken littles of this world can be as scared as they like of agw voodoo science...go for it I say...

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Haha...I post actual observed temperatures about which you couldn't refute as being valid, and everyone can see they are not scary.....so you post scary predicted temperatures and want me to treat them as real. The science I provided is settled science....you otoh are only providing scary unsettled prophecy...

Look, the chicken littles of this world can be as scared as they like of agw voodoo science...go for it I say...
I didn't say they were scary, I'm just asking you what would be scary? I conceded all of your math and just ask what you believe a significant rise in temperature would be - but you seem unable to.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I didn't say they were scary, I'm just asking you what would be scary? I conceded all of your math and just ask what you believe a significant rise in temperature would be - but you seem unable to.
I don't do hypotheticals...that's all. Look....wrt the skeptical climate science community, if you are aware that the present solar cycle has the least sun spot activity in quite some time, there are predictions that the Sun is headed for a Maunder Minimum, and that global temperatures will cool considerably, perhaps even a little ice age....but I don't go there...I just deal with the data as it happens and feel comfortable in learning about it... I don't do hot prophecy, nor cold..and while I may have some personal ideas what may be the consequences of either, they are not really considered opinions.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I don't do hypotheticals...that's all. Look....wrt the skeptical climate science community, if you are aware that the present solar cycle has the least sun spot activity in quite some time, there are predictions of the Sun is headed for a Maunder Minimum, and that global temperatures will cool considerable, perhaps even a little ice age....but I don't go there...I just deal with the data as it happens and feel comfortable in learning about it... I don[t do hot prophecy, nor cold..while I have some personal ideas what may be the consequences of either, they are not really considered opinions.
So far you have refused to present any data to indicate what would even constitute a significant change. And frankly your opinions seem far from considered so far. Are you suggesting that human activity has no significant effect on the climate?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
So far you have refused to present any data to indicate what would even constitute a significant change. And frankly your opinions seem far from considered so far. Are you suggesting that human activity has no significant effect on the climate?
Are you really so thick....please go do some study on climate science so we can actually have a coherent debate....as it is....you are not understanding what is being said to you, time after time, so please do get the necessary prerequisite understanding for me to take you seriously. No more time is going to be wasted on you...

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Are you really so thick....please go do some study on climate science so we can actually have a coherent debate....as it is....you are not understanding what is being said to you, time after time, so please do get the necessary prerequisite understanding for me to take you seriously. No more time is going to be wasted on you...
Fail lol.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
You guys are having lots of fun, hehe. With all this talk about climate change, it seems the biggest problem developing right now is the drought in the west. Any ideas about that issue ? You guys seem like real environmental physicists....:D

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You guys are having lots of fun, hehe. With all this talk about climate change, it seems the biggest problem developing right now is the drought in the west. Any ideas about that issue ? You guys seem like real environmental physicists....:D
I'm not (environmental physicist) ....are you?

There is a lot silly talk for sure, doom and gloom is a popular theme in contemporary society, especially among the lefties .....so there's drought in the west.... is it an anomalous event, or a periodic event?

I am from Australia...and droughts and floods are periodic.....droughts are a result of the colder water in the western southern ocean caused by the El Nina southern oscillation (ENSO) and rainy seasons by the La Nino effect when there are warmer waters present. The El Nina and El Nino cycles are not as regular as the video implies, and seven year and longer droughts do occur. Who knows how long some droughts have lasted in the past...perhaps many decades. But since the cycles of droughts and floods are driven by the ocean oscillations and circulations, so humanity will have to live with it....unless of course they are able to stop the sloshing of the oceans caused by Lunar and Solar gravitational forces. :D

Last edited:

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
I'm not (environmental physicist) ....are you?

There is a lot silly talk for sure, doom and gloom is a popular theme in contemporary society, especially among the lefties .....so there's drought in the west.... is it an anomalous event, or a periodic event?

I am from Australia...and droughts and floods are periodic.....droughts are a result of the colder water in the western southern ocean caused by the El Nina southern oscillation (ENSO) and rainy seasons by the La Nino effect when there are warmer waters present. The El Nina and El Nino cycles are not as regular as the video implies, and seven year and longer droughts do occur. Who knows how long some droughts have lasted in the past...perhaps many decades. But since the cycles of droughts and floods are driven by the ocean oscillations and circulations, so humanity will have to live with it....unless of course they are able to stop the sloshing of the oceans caused by Lunar and Solar gravitational forces. :D

We need better models to describe our environment. But there are troubling signs, indeed. It has nothing to do with controlling lunar and solar forces. We have to learn more about the world we live in fast, before it is too late.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
We need better models to describe our environment. But there are troubling signs, indeed. It has nothing to do with controlling lunar and solar forces. We have to learn more about the world we live in fast, before it is too late.
If one looks at past natural climate variations based on proxy records, the future alternations between ice ages and interglacial epochs will continue...despite any and all very silly present human activity... We are about 11,000 years into this interglacial, so the next ice can begin anytime from now, it is inevitable and humanity can do nothing about it, ....awesome yes? But hopefully the climate change models can be improved to better predict this aspect of natural climate change...

400000yearslarge.gif

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
When 98% of scientists in their area of expertise agree on even which day of the week it is, one can take it to the bank.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Look, there is no end of claims about signs of agw, i am not disputing the IPCC observed warming of 0.7 C....though I don't believe it was primarily caused by humans. The climate is changing because it always is changing, there never has been a time when the climate was not changing....you can find places like Antarctica that is colder than before, and places like the Arctic that is warmer than before, and in these regions, regional differences the opposite of that....but it doesn't prove that the average temperature had increased more than 0.7 C, nor does it prove that global temperature is going to get warmer in the future....they have been steady for about the last 18 years...

clip_image004.png
True. Nobody knows the weather patterns from the beginning of earths formation to now. We only have a small window to work with. Personally I think it's mainly natural causes with some influence by man. Not all.

Wirey

Fartist
If one looks at past natural climate variations based on proxy records, the future alternations between ice ages and interglacial epochs will continue...despite any and all very silly present human activity... We are about 11,000 years into this interglacial, so the next ice can begin anytime from now, it is inevitable and humanity can do nothing about it, ....awesome yes? But hopefully the climate change models can be improved to better predict this aspect of natural climate change...

400000yearslarge.gif

I love this graph. I've seen it before. But at the end, see that red line shooting straight up? That's us. The science says that the blue line will follow it.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I love this graph. I've seen it before. But at the end, see that red line shooting straight up? That's us. The science says that the blue line will follow it.
Be as frightened as you like....but I do not want to pay money to any stand over group to save me from the boogie man...

PS...That's where the IPCC climate models are failing....they predicted a sharp rise in temperatures as CO2 levels increased...but the temperature did not track it....indeed the temperature has been more or less flat over the last 18 years while CO2 climbed linearly. CO2 lags temperature, not lead...look at the graph... Iow, temperature increase causes release of natural CO2...

Last edited: