• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classical Music Corner

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
only problem with that response was it is not classical music and has no place in the classical corner..like this piece does....

Classical music evolves.
Herrmann is no less "classical" than Bach.
And the former surpasses the latter in variety & raw power.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Classical music evolves.
Herrmann is no less "classical" than Bach.
And the former surpasses the latter in variety & raw power.

OK it's classical, but not more powerful IMO, actually IMO it is rather wimpy, and to say the latter is more powerful is a generalization, and generalizations rarely work well, that and I can't stand them, they make for weak arguments that show little experience. IMO, the former is much more powerful than most, not all, that came later. However to argue that point would be ridiculous sense it is a matter of opinion....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OK it's classical, but not more powerful IMO, actually IMO it is rather wimpy, and to say the latter is more powerful is a generalization, and generalizations rarely work well, that and I can't stand them, they make for weak arguments that show little experience. IMO, the former is much more powerful than most, not all, that came later. However to argue that point would be ridiculous sense it is a matter of opinion....

Wimpy, eh.
Psycho at 5:50 is anything but.

I have no experience. I know nothing about music. No training.
But at least I'm not mired in a limited view what classical music is.
Btw, I like that video you linked....it's from A Clockwork Orange.

Modern composers have a great advantage in having history
to sample, greater variety to inspire, more instruments to use,
& technology to be more efficient. So it's no surprise that
modern classical music is also different & great.
Another favorite...

Last edited:

Wu Wei

Wimpy, eh.
Psycho at 5:50 is anything but.

I have no experience. I know nothing about music. No training.
But at least I'm not mired in a limited view what classical music is.
Btw, I like that video you linked....it's from A Clockwork Orange.

Modern composers have a great advantage in having history
to sample, greater variety to inspire, more instruments to use,
& technology to be more efficient. So it's no surprise that
modern classical music is also different & great.
Another favorite...

I have noticed, since being on RF, there are days you lie to pick fights.....please go pick one with someone else, I'm not interested....

Heyo

Veteran Member

There are contemporary composers who still imitate classical music - with variations. Sir Jon's "Sarabande" is a collection of dances in the style of baroque composers. You may scoff about the unorthodox instrumentation but it is classical.
(My favourite, the Bourrée, starts at 26:45.)

Wu Wei

There are contemporary composers who still imitate classical music - with variations. Sir Jon's "Sarabande" is a collection of dances in the style of baroque composers. You may scoff about the unorthodox instrumentation but it is classical.
(My favourite, the Bourrée, starts at 26:45.)

Yes, I know, I grew up playing the guitar, mostly electric, and I liked playing classical bits and pieces on it......but the word you used is "contemporary"....think about it with reference to the thread title

Wu Wei

I am always truthful....except when playing Devil's advocate.
This is not one of those times.....classical music snob!!!!

Well I could call you a plebeian...would that make you feel better.....and feed into your need to argue...you need room 12A....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well I could call you a plebeian...would that make you feel better.....and feed into your need to argue...you need room 12A....

I'm more of a Group W type than Room 12A.
But I notice....
Those who accuse other of being argumentative
are the one's holding up half of the argument.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Yes, I know, I grew up playing the guitar, mostly electric, and I liked playing classical bits and pieces on it......but the word you used is "contemporary"....think about it with reference to the thread title
What is "classical" music to you? For me it is a style, based on traditional western music with chromatic keys and an upbeat rhythm.

Wu Wei

I'm more of a Group W type than Room 12A.
But I notice....
Those who accuse other of being argumentative
are the one's holding up half of the argument.

please take your attempts to goad me into an argument elsewhere, I will not respond to this line of posts with you further

Wu Wei

What is "classical" music to you? For me it is a style, based on traditional western music with chromatic keys and an upbeat rhythm.

The major time divisions of classical music up to 1900 are the Early music period, which includes Medieval (500–1400) and Renaissance (1400–1600) eras, and the Common practice period, which includes the Baroque (1600–1750), Classical (1750–1820), and Romantic (1810–1910) eras. The current period encompasses the 20th century and the 21st-century to date and includes the Modernist musical era and the Contemporary or Postmodern musical era, the dates of which are often disputed.

I tend towards excepted definitions, especially in things like web forums.

Here is the place for all things classical music. Anything and everything about it, whether you already enjoy it or are maybe just curious. I discovered I liked it quite by accident a year or three ago and now my CD collection has swung from being virtually 100% popular music (mostly rock) to probably about 80% classical.

Enjoy!

(I searched for a thread such as this but couldn't find a general, all-encompassing one. If there is and I missed it please feel free to merge it or whatever).

:musicalnote::musicalnote::musicalnote::musicalnote::musicalnote:

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I started this thread for a place to share enjoyment of classical music. I should possibly have specified Western, but that is hopefully implied, if only because the language of this forum is English.
No definition is likely to be perfect in encompassing and delineating the music from other forms, but I think I would say that Western classical music is an art music which is based upon staff notation as the methodology for its composition.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
iu

Well, now he's dead.
But classical music thrives.

New compositions....

New interpretations of old works....

I have a Wendy Carlos album - nice. :cool: (and I assume Zappa was joking)

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've heard he's no longer granting interviews.
Who talks about an interview? It's just one question. And it was your idea to ask him. You can ask away even if you don't get an answer. But you may, after all ...
Zappa's not dead - he just smells funny.