• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classical Music Corner

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
A truly beautiful orchestral work, The Kingdom of Silence, by Victoria Borisova-Ollas. (She is Russian but has lived in Sweden for many years).

Yeah, true! But who is he? The text under the video mentions Karl Richter but he died decades ago so that's wrong.

Karl-Richter-Handel-Six-Organ-Concertos.jpg

Looks pretty old to me though, and based on the above image, the smug chap does seem to resemble him.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Karl-Richter-Handel-Six-Organ-Concertos.jpg

Looks pretty old to me though, and based on the above image, the smug chap does seem to resemble him.
You're right, it's him!

In fact, now that I look at it again, those are indeed not baroque bows but modern ones. And I've checked the pitch and it is close to modern "concert pitch" B flat, whereas a modern Baroque band would generally play at Baroque pitch - as indeed does the band whose version of the 3rd Brandenburg I posted earlier in the thread.

So that must be a pretty old video. What threw me was the YouTube date of 10yrs ago, but I should have realised that would be the date it was uploaded, not the date of the performance.

Ha.

VoidoftheSun

Necessary Heretical, Fundamentally Orthodox
I really dig Akira Nishimura:

Which is much in the vein of Scriabin:

Here's some Berg:

But Xenakis is still my favorite :cool:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Classical music on the radio is extremeley well served in the UK, with BBC Radio 3. What is it like in your country?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Classical music on the radio is extremeley well served in the UK, with BBC Radio 3. What is it like in your country?
We have DLF (Deutschland Funk) and in the North NDR Kultur. They both have the added bonus that they are also free of advertising.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Are they dedicated classical music stations?

How much variety of style is there? Contemporary, classical, romantic, baroque....?

Yes, adverts are the bane.