• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classical Music Corner

Heyo

Veteran Member
I enjoy a wide range of music from classic to rock and especially rock classic crossover. Bohemian Rhapsody, Tull's version of Bach's bourreé and this one (appropriate for the season):

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's incredible just looking at how some of that music fits together. And what I think I like so much is that this section of classical music seemed to have no aversion to adding weird chords to the key, and seeming to switch modes. Right there in this piece, ravnenscroft has both dorian and aeolian six's dancing around each other, which is a venture probably only taken by avant garde jazz artists. The soprano voice ends the cycle in a startling major chord by hitting a major 3rd, which changes the piece from a minor sound to a major one. And to go into that major 3rd while coming off a bit with an aeolian 6... seems like a move by like a 90's rock musician

Isn't that just a Tierce de Picardie, though?

But certainly it seems we lost a lot when we gave up all the modes, other than the major and minor ones. I have read, I think, that the reason was these 2 modes lent themselves best to harmony, but I'm not good enough at music theory to know whether this is really the case.

Of the other Renaissance composers, I have a soft spot for Victoria. He seems to have a very Spanish gift for raw emotion. Here is one I've sung which can bring tears to the eyes:

Text:

O vos ómnes qui transítis per víam, atténdite et vidéte:
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Atténdite, univérsi pópuli, et vidéte dolórem méum.
Si est dólor símilis sícut dólor méus.
Translation

O all you who walk by on the road, pay attention and see:
if there be any sorrow like my sorrow.
Pay attention, all people, and look at my sorrow:
if there be any sorrow like my sorrow.

(I had the experience of singing this in a concert, 24hrs after learning my wife had cancer. I shall never forget it. )

Heyo

Veteran Member
Vivaldi on an electric violin

The violin is not my favourite instrument. Classical composer rely too much on it and the usual style to play it gives a sickly sweet tone to it. Vanessa Mae's style is completely different. She gives a serious edge to the instrument and not only the electrical version but also a Stradivari backed by a classical orchestra:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The violin is not my favourite instrument. Classical composer rely too much on it and the usual style to play it gives a sickly sweet tone to it. Vanessa Mae's style is completely different. She gives a serious edge to the instrument and not only the electrical version but also a Stradivari backed by a classical orchestra:

Have you heard any Licia Micaralli? She has a way with the violin that i think is unique.

exchemist

Veteran Member
But not always.....

Here is the master, Johann Sebastien, putting a string band to work without anything sickly about it:

I love the 3rd Brandenburg: Bach has such tremendous confidence and drive, and the whole thing is a beautiful piece of German precision engineering. The players obviously love it too, even though they are working so hard.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yes me too but they are a fairly recent 'discovery' for me.

I love the piano music. My favourite composer is Scriabin, but have recently discovered two more fabulous composers for the piano: Mosolov and Feinberg.

Here is a great performance by Yevgeny Sudbin of Scriabin's Sonata no.5.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
But not always.....

Here is the master, Johann Sebastien, putting a string band to work without anything sickly about it:

I love the 3rd Brandenburg: Bach has such tremendous confidence and drive, and the whole thing is a beautiful piece of German precision engineering. The players obviously love it too, even though they are working so hard.
It is less the music as written but the performance. Violinists are taught to be annoying and few, like Mae, can transcend that training. Talking about performance, here is a version of the Brandenburgische Konzerte I like better (the 3. starts at 31:05):
There is no secular piece written by JSB that I don't like.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My favorite classical music is program music, particularly movie scores.
When the movie & the score work together....great stuff.
RIP, Mr Horner.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Lately I've liked Chopin & Liszt.
Heard from one of them....
"I paid for the whole damn piano, so I'm gonna use all of it!"
I have a piano, and love playing the Liszt Concert Etudes -- especially Un Sospiro. I inherited very large hands from my father (a carpenter, not named Joseph), though not quite the extension that Liszt had (he could span a fourteenth, or about 2 octaves). There are fingerings that can overcome that deficiency.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
But my favourite piece just to play (and to wake my lover up with, because he loves it) is Claude Debussy's La Cathedrale Engloutie (the sunken or engulfed cathedral).

As you listen, picture a misty morning at a place called "the bay of the dead." Then imagine, as the mist clears on Easter morning, and bubbles start appearing on the surface, and soon an entire cathedrale rises aboves the waves. Then, with the bells sounding (using E octaves) the inhabitants of the bay of the dead come to mass. The service proceeds through the music and when it's done, the cathedral slowly sinks beneath the waves again, to await another year.

Quite glorious, if you give it some attention.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I enjoy a wide range of music from classic to rock and especially rock classic crossover. Bohemian Rhapsody, Tull's version of Bach's bourreé and this one (appropriate for the season):
You might like the Penguin Cafe Orchestra! Youtube has quite a bit of them. I might suggest "Now Nothing" or "1-4".

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
My youngest is a classical pianist and viola player so I hear a lot of Classical music

However I am a big fan of baroque composers, especially Bach. But I also like many form the classical period. Beyond that I like Chopin, Debussy, Russians: Scriabin, Tchaikovsky, and Schostakowitsch and going American, Gershwin