• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Class Warfare

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Historically, high taxes seem to correspond with high prosperity, and vice versa.

Sententia

Another good question would be, what if the rich quit renting to the poor?

I got to thinking about this all out war thing. Poor people have nothing to lose where rich folks do.

Conversely, when you kill a rich person, someone else inherits. Wealthy people are kinda like zombies.

OK, lets roll with this one. The poor for the most part buy cheap Chinese goods, not much opportunity there.

The middle class is a dying breed, so they fight tooth and nail to find value. When I give you value, my expenses go up and my profit margin goes down. The middle class don't build much commercial real estate but they do at times build houses which is twice the work for half the money in my line of work. Thats why I don't wire houses, there is no money in it.

The rich however do spend money, they are my life blood of capital and the only people who enable me to make money doing things for them. Keeping them happy is not so much about price and more about substance and time lines.

Is this sarcasm I am missing or are you two trying to be serious? How deeply do you misunderstand the america you are living in. Enlighten me.

Requia

Building for the future becomes a strong motivator once out in the working world.

What future? A future where a college graduate has no realistic hope of ever making more than 15$ an hour? One where the median wage sinks year after year?

Tellurian

Like the gospel stories about the biblical Jesus, the conservative Republican memories of the Reagan years and Reagnomics are also more fantasy than fact.

From The Economy in the 1980s

"The nation endured a deep recession throughout 1982. Business bankruptcies rose 50 percent over the previous year. Farmers were especially hard hit, as agricultural exports declined, crop prices fell, and interest rates rose.

Reagan (1981-1989) based his economic program on the theory of supply-side economics, which advocated reducing tax rates so people could keep more of what they earned. The theory was that lower tax rates would induce people to work harder and longer, and that this in turn would lead to more saving and investment, resulting in more production and stimulating overall economic growth. While the Reagan-inspired tax cuts served mainly to benefit wealthier Americans, the economic theory behind the cuts argued that benefits would extend to lower-income people as well because higher investment would lead new job opportunities and higher wages.
"

(The old "trickle down" failure is being pushed again today even though Reaganomics did not live up to its hype)

"The central theme of Reagan's national agenda, however, was his belief that the federal government had become too big and intrusive. In the early 1980s, while he was cutting taxes, Reagan was also slashing social programs. Reagan also undertook a campaign throughout his tenure to reduce or eliminate government regulations affecting the consumer, the workplace, and the environment. At the same time, however, he feared that the United States had neglected its military in the wake of the Vietnam War, so he successfully pushed for big increases in defense spending.
The combination of tax cuts and higher military spending overwhelmed more modest reductions in spending on domestic programs. As a result, the federal budget deficit swelled even beyond the levels it had reached during the recession of the early 1980s. From $74,000 million in 1980, the federal budget deficit rose to $221,000 million in 1986. It fell back to $150,000 million in 1987, but then started growing again. Some economists worried that heavy spending and borrowing by the federal government would re-ignite inflation, but the Federal Reserve remained vigilant about controlling price increases, moving quickly to raise interest rates any time it seemed a threat. Under chairman Paul Volcker and his successor, Alan Greenspan, the Federal Reserve retained the central role of economic traffic cop, eclipsing Congress and the president in guiding the nation's economy.
"

That description seems to also explain the failed economic policies of the Bush administration that led us into the Bush recession of 2008. It also describes what some of the conservative Republican presidential candidates want to return to despite the problems caused by our previous experiences with that short sighted thinking.

Requia

Really? What happened to the economy during Regan's reign, when the top rate fell drematically?

The economy tanked so hard that we never recovered pre 1981 employment levels, wages stagnated, and an entire generation had their lives ruined because they weren't able to get careers started.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The economy tanked so hard that we never recovered pre 1981 employment levels, wages stagnated, and an entire generation had their lives ruined because they weren't able to get careers started.
I recall it being great while he was in office. We recovered from the Jimmy Carter "malaise".
I would've noticed if it tanked.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Really? What happened to the economy during Regan's reign, when the top rate fell drematically?
Started going South and he had to raise taxes again -- six or seven times, I believe.

He finally hit on the stagflation cure -- borrow, borrow, borrow. Live on credit.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Apparently, reports are just coming in that a regiment of men dressed in tennis outfits with sweaters tied around their shoulders are laying seige to some housing projects with mortars and .50 caliber machine guns. The class war can no longer be denied.

I guess we can tell the different regiments by the different pastel colors of their sweaters.

Alceste

Vagabond
I think it be worth mentioning that the middle class by 1960's standards would be looked upon as living in poverty today.

Back in the 1960's someone who lives the middle class life style today would be looked upon as rich by their standards back then.

It all comes down to the fact that poor folks do not create jobs.

If we do not have rich folks investing, there will be no additional jobs.

It is the belief that the government has the ability to create jobs and not the private sector that is the problem right now.

My biggest concern is that 51% of the people are fine with paying no federal income tax and want to be supported by the other 49%.

This is no different from three wolves and one sheep voting on what is for dinner.

If you rich folks were actually investing your income in job creation, as you're so fond of pretending, you'd have no cause to worry about increased income tax. It would be taxed at a corporate or business tax rate.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you rich folks were actually investing your income in job creation, as you're so fond of pretending, you'd have no cause to worry about increased income tax. It would be taxed at a corporate or business tax rate.
That's one of the reasons high taxes historically raised all boats.
America's "golden age" occurred during a 91% top tax rate period. Employers re-invested in their own companies rather than parking their money in Swiss banks, investing in the stock market, or buying corporate jets and mansions.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Have you ever been hired by a poor person?
The rich create better jobs. Let'm win.

The rich are almost always born to a life of privilege. If most people had the opportunities Bill Gates or Warren Buffet had, they too would be job creators.

Let's stop fooling ourselves. Capital is a lot more important in this world than a good idea or hard work.

Alceste

Vagabond
I have been hired by a lot of relatively poor people. The super-rich don't create any jobs where I live.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The super rich create -- or outsource -- jobs to areas with a large workpool, cheap wages, lax regulation, &c.
Henry Ford once doubled the wages in one of his factories so his workers could afford the products they were making. Both sales and workers benefited.

Today, however, with a worldwide free market and no more tariffs (in the US, anyway) manufacturers can maintain a virtual slave labor force and simply ship the goods to where there's a market for them.