• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churches burn in East Texas

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Attacks against military targets are by default more moral than attacks against civilians.
Ennnnh... I've got to disagree.

If we're talking about tactical or strategic targets in an actual war, then sure: it's reasonable to attack your enemy's ability to fight.

However, if your objective isn't your enemy's war-fighting ability but instead your aim is to spread fear in the citizenry, then I don't think the fact that the target is military excuses the action.

In the case of the Weather Underground placing a bomb in a Pentagon bathroom, I don't think their attack could reasonably be thought to have anything to do with limiting the US ability to wage war aganist either the Viet Cong or the Weather Underground itself.

dust1n

Zindīq
Ennnnh... I've got to disagree.

If we're talking about tactical or strategic targets in an actual war, then sure: it's reasonable to attack your enemy's ability to fight.

However, if your objective isn't your enemy's war-fighting ability but instead your aim is to spread fear in the citizenry, then I don't think the fact that the target is military excuses the action.

In the case of the Weather Underground placing a bomb in a Pentagon bathroom, I don't think their attack could reasonably be thought to have anything to do with limiting the US ability to wage war against either the Viet Cong or the Weather Underground itself.

Yeah, I don't really think the Weather Underground had quite the arm power to pull something like that off...

Last edited:
I don't see the big deal. They are just churches. No one was harmed. Unlike abortion clinic bombings.
Arson is a serious crime. It's destruction of property. It could get someone hurt or killed. Furthermore, any crime that is (apparently) motivated by prejudice and bigotry, besides being inherently disgusting, has the potential to spark violence between groups of people. Of course serial violence/intimidation against a certain group of people is a big deal, what's the matter with you? :slap:

Seriously, who let the trolls out? I'm appalled by some of the responses.

Last edited:

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Burning a church is a crime, and it should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me if the arsonist(s) were caught in the fire they had just started. I don't embrace organized religion, but those that do deserve the full protection of the law. The fact that some anti-abortionists are willing to kill or maim abortion clinics does not (in any way) justify these arson attacks against churches.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Burning a church is a crime, and it should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me if the arsonist(s) were caught in the fire they had just started. I don't embrace organized religion, but those that do deserve the full protection of the law. The fact that some anti-abortionists are willing to kill or maim abortion clinics does not (in any way) justify these arson attacks against churches.
If you intentionally burn down a church it should be treated for what it is: a Hate Crime.
Same thing with attacking abortion clinics or abortion doctors.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The East Texas church fires are now gaining national media attention:
East Texas church arsons getting national media attention - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |
ABC is in town gathering info for a Nightline report on the topic.

The number of churches burned to the ground by arsonists is now at nine since the beginning of the year.

Meanwhile, there are three sketches of "persons of interest" that have been released - so hopefully they'll soon be caught. I hope they are caught before anyone gets hurt.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Its quite surprising that they got so far, with the number of targeted churches. and I'm more surprised that the different congregations in Texas have not taken measures to secure their Churches after the trend was recognized.
Its also troubling to see members in this thread having such an incoherent world view about these events.

Kathryn

Well, I am surprised that every church in town doesn't have a video system installed in the church parking lot by now - but I think this rampage caught everyone off guard, and some of these churches are so small that I am sure their budgets are really tight.

We haven't had a church burn in over a week now (that's a change since the first of the year - the burnings were happening at least once a week till now), so maybe the arsonists realize that churches have begun patrolling their perimeters during the night. Also, our area law enforcement is literally up in arms over this, so maybe that's helping.

I too cannot believe some of the responses to this issue. Apparently the word "church" really brings out the troll blood in some people.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
We haven't had a church burn in over a week now (that's a change since the first of the year - the burnings were happening at least once a week till now), so maybe the arsonists realize that churches have begun patrolling their perimeters during the night. Also, our area law enforcement is literally up in arms over this, so maybe that's helping.
*nods* what are the known procedures that the law enforcement services are taking regarding this?

I too cannot believe some of the responses to this issue. Apparently the word "church" really brings out the troll blood in some people.
Yes. makes you wonder if they themselves have a coherent understanding of whatever world view they claim to adhere to.

Kathryn

I know that law enforcement departments have committed to stepping up their night patrols, but there's literally a church on every corner around here so not sure how effective that will be. I'm just hoping the arsonists are caught soon. They think there are three of them, so it's just a matter of time. Someone will talk.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I know that law enforcement departments have committed to stepping up their night patrols, but there's literally a church on every corner around here so not sure how effective that will be. I'm just hoping the arsonists are caught soon. They think there are three of them, so it's just a matter of time. Someone will talk.
Well, lets hope they will be caught before hurting someone or before hurting themselves.

It's worth considering how many churches there are in Texas, compared to the 9 that have been burned. Anyone who has driven around in the Midwest knows there can be 9 churches in a single very small town.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
(CNN) -- Two arrests have been made in a string of deliberately set church fires in east Texas, a fire official said Sunday.
Neal Franklin, fire chief of Tyler, Texas, would not divulge further details. A news conference was scheduled for later Sunday afternoon.
Ten church fires have happened in east Texas this year. Nine of them have been ruled arson.

No clear theme links the fires, which have struck churches of different denominations, including Baptist, Methodist and Church of Christ Scientist, at different times of the day and on different days of the week, authorities have said. While the churches are in small towns, not all of them are in remote locations.

Investigators are not sure whether an 11th church fire, also ruled arson, in Temple, Texas, is related to the others, said Tom Crowley, spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Temple is about 150 miles from the area where the other blazes have been concentrated, in an area east of Dallas, Texas.
Two arrested in connection with Texas church fires - CNN.com

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Investigators have seized books on demons and atheism as well as rifles and knives from a home linked to one of the men charged with setting an East Texas church on fire and suspected in a string of similar blazes.
Investigators searching a home Sunday in rural Grand Saline, where Bourque's girlfriend and family live, discovered paperback books titled "Demon Possession" and "The Atheist's Way," according to an affidavit filed this week by Texas Ranger Sgt. Brent Davis. Also found at the mobile home were four rifles, three knives and a GPS device, the affidavit said.

Bourque left graffiti in a bathroom stall at a farm and ranch supply store in Tyler that links him to another one of the fires, the affidavit said. Bourque was under surveillance Feb. 13 when he and his father went into the store, and security video footage shows him entering the men's bathroom, according to the affidavit.

A day later, investigators discovered a carving on a bathroom stall of an upside-down cross with flames and the words "Little Hope was arson," the affidavit said.

The Little Hope Baptist Church in Canton burned Jan. 1, but the cause of the fire hadn't been stated publicly at the time of the surveillance, according to the affidavit.

Investigators determined that the carving wasn't present when the bathroom was cleaned Feb. 12, according to the affidavit.
Weapons, atheist books linked to arson suspects

:rolleyes: What idiots. Atheists who believe in demons? That would be almost funny if they hadn't acted out their stupidity.

KatNotKathy

Welp, they had their fun, but if you're dumb enough to carve information like that you really deserve to get caught.