• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churches burn in East Texas

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Breaking News: Fire Reported At East Texas Church - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |

Fires Strike 2 More East Texas Churches : NPR

1_Texas_Church_Fires.sff_300.jpg

Since the first of the year, arsonists have burned ten churches in this area to the ground. Two were torched last night. Most of the churches are on main highways and are not small buildings. There are so many similarities between the fires that authorities are pretty sure that the same person or group is responsible.

There is a reward for information leading to the arrest of the arsonist(s). Please contact the authorities in Smith County, Texas if you have any information on this.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
That's not right...
I mean, what did the buildings ever do to them?

Seems to me that if you have something against what the people who gather in said building have to say or what they do, then take it out on them.
Leave the building out of it.

Oh course, anonymously burning down building is a rather cowardly way to go about anything.
Seems rather reminiscence to the way the KKK was so proud of what they believed in that they had to hide behind masks...
At least in my opinion.

MSizer

MSizer
Wow, I don't even know what to say. That is ridiculous. I wonder why they're targeting churches. Oh, so uplifting, isn't it?

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Looks like most of them were baptist churches. Of course my friends mom pointed out that there are a lot of baptist churches down there. She also just said that is was probably "skin-head satanists". She wasn't joking. Anyway that is pretty horrible. Especially since many of those congregations were smaller. It will be difficult to get the money to build new ones.

.lava

Veteran Member
does it happen sometimes? happened before? if not, why is it happening now?

sorry i am curious about a few things more...are churches closed at night? there's noone inside? how come there is not even one eye witness? it is so strange if there were not any. i don't know Texas though. but it is not wilderness, is it?

dust1n

Zindīq

sorry i am curious about a few things more...are churches closed at night? there's noone inside? how come there is not even one eye witness? it is so strange if there were not any. i don't know Texas though. but it is not wilderness, is it?

In that area, things can be few and far between. A lot of rural land still in Texas.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Most churches only hold services on certain days and at certain times, and so sit empty most of the time. Also the locations were likely farmland and countryside.

Kathryn

List of churches burned in the Tyler/Lindale/Athens area of East Texas since January 1,2010 (all arson and all within about 20 miles of each other):

Faith Church, Athens - non denominational
Lake Athens Baptist, Athens - Baptist
Grace Community Church, Athens - non denominational
Tyland Baptist Church, Tyler - Baptist
First Church of Christ, Scientist, Tyler - Church of Christ
Fellowship of Prairie Creek Church, Lindale - non denominational
Russell Memorial UMC, Wills Point - United Methodist
Dover Baptist Church, Tyler - Baptist
Clear Springs Missionary Baptist Church, Tyler - Baptist
One church in Houston that officials think may be by the same group or individual

ATF blames Texas church fires on serial arsonist - Yahoo! News

I know where several of these churches are - or rather, WERE. The ones in Tyler are not in isolated areas - but there are many, many churches around here. It would be very difficult for police to adequately patrol every church property. And as a pastor or church leader, I wouldn't feel comfortable asking parishoners (or myself for that matter) to stay in or around the church at night, considering that an arsonist is loose.

These fires have been started from WITHIN the churches from what I understand, so apparently the arsonists break in and then start the fires. Several of the churches have had security systems but the fires spread so quickly that the systems just haven't been effective.

Kathryn

Not sure what you mean by that comment - but all I know is that these structures are burning to the ground, on a weekly basis - actually more than one a week, sometimes two at one time.

It's really a shame.

dust1n

Zindīq
Not sure what you mean by that comment - but all I know is that these structures are burning to the ground, on a weekly basis - actually more than one a week, sometimes two at one time.

It's really a shame.

Heh, just saying they are obviously good at what they do. But I don't support it. A waste of building.

Kathryn

Not to mention a criminal act that negatively impacts a lot of people.