• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church offers lower payouts to black abuse victims

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
As long as I live I will always bring up the subject of race until America acknowledges that we still have a continuing problem regarding race relations. Now, the current video here focuses on a Catholic religious order in the state of Mississippi that settled with two survivors of sexual abuse paying them $15,000 each which is significantly lower than what other victims have been paid.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
According to the New York Times:

"In one case, the Rev. James G. Gannon, leader of a group of Wisconsin-based Franciscan Friars, settled an abuse claim made by La Jarvis D. Love against another friar for $15,000, during a meeting at an IHOP restaurant where Gannon met with La Jarvis, his wife and their three small children.

"He said if I wanted more, I would have to get a lawyer and have my lawyer call his lawyer," La Jarvis Love, 36, told the Associated Press. "Well, we don't have lawyers. We felt like we had to take what we could."

La Jarvis's cousin, Joshua K. Love, 36, also settled his abuse claim for $15,000 — something he now regrets.

"They felt they could treat us that way because we're poor and we're black," Joshua Love said of the settlements he and La Jarvis received.

Across the United States, settlements have ranged much higher. In 2006, the Catholic Diocese of Jackson, which includes Greenwood, settled lawsuits involving 19 victims— 17 of whom were white— for $5 million, with an average payment of more than $250,000 per victim.

In 2018, the St. Paul-Minneapolis archdiocese agreed to pay an average of nearly $500,000 each to clergy abuse survivors.

Across the United States, settlements have ranged much higher. In 2006, the Catholic Diocese of Jackson, which includes Greenwood, settled lawsuits involving 19 victims— 17 of whom were white— for $5 million, with an average payment of more than $250,000 per victim.

In 2018, the St. Paul-Minneapolis archdiocese agreed to pay an average of nearly $500,000 each to clergy abuse survivors.

Source: In Mississippi Delta, Catholic Abuse Cases Settled on Cheap

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Across the United States, settlements have ranged much higher.

A settlement is an agreement between both parties for money that the victim will accept in lieu of seeking a lawsuit. If black victims are getting less, they need to better lawyers that won't settle for lower amounts of money in settlements. Personally I wouldn't settle, I'd sue for every penny they had.

MikeDwight

Black Catholics don't exist just like the rest of the racist Churches with histories. .1% Presbyterian or 1% Catholic or .1% Lutheran? How'd I git in this buildin' somebody let me out o' here.
The Man (black) has been up to his tricks again on April 29th, 1992

Blacks see one black get roughed up a little , when he was fighting arrest and High I think, anybody look into Rodney King? He's dead now from drowning in his swimming pool? Thanks Oprah.
$300 million damages to only Korean businesses by only Black LA residents is $300 to every Korean American, 50 died it said. Terrorized people resorted to Korean Radio stations for news while the police ran for it. Who knows what blacks do to victims anyway? Nobody likes to speak up like the Comfort Women. Obviously, the most entitled racist in-group and dominant people in America.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
According to the New York Times:

"In one case, the Rev. James G. Gannon, leader of a group of Wisconsin-based Franciscan Friars, settled an abuse claim made by La Jarvis D. Love against another friar for $15,000, during a meeting at an IHOP restaurant where Gannon met with La Jarvis, his wife and their three small children.

"He said if I wanted more, I would have to get a lawyer and have my lawyer call his lawyer," La Jarvis Love, 36, told the Associated Press. "Well, we don't have lawyers. We felt like we had to take what we could."

La Jarvis's cousin, Joshua K. Love, 36, also settled his abuse claim for $15,000 — something he now regrets.

"They felt they could treat us that way because we're poor and we're black," Joshua Love said of the settlements he and La Jarvis received.

Source: In Mississippi Delta, Catholic Abuse Cases Settled on Cheap

Well.... to be honest with you.......

Eventhough I am with you all the way concerning how low and unethical discrimination is (be it based on race or other things), I also feel like people are quite...eum... "tempted" at times to play the race card a bit too quickly at times....

Not every bad thing that happens to a black person, can be traced back to being black.

Like in this case. It seems to me that they themselves settled on the deal. They could have refused, but they didn't. Now, you can come up with all kinds of reasons (valid or otherwise) about them being poor and therefor difficulty of getting quality legal advice etc.... But that's entirely different then "because I am black!"

No. Rather: because you are poor.

Any person or organization that did something wrong and tries to settle for some sum of money, is always going to try to get away with paying less rather then more. If you are happy with 50k, they won't be giving you 100k. If they think you'ld settle for 10k, their offer (or at least their strategy) will reflect that.

Eventhough I haven't read the backstory, I doubt that there are elements in there that will demonstrate that in fact was a race issue. If there was, I'm sure you would have mentioned it in the OP, but you didn't.

The only thing I'm seeing in the OP that points it towards the race issue, is the victim himself saying "because I'm black".

It seems to me that a far more plausible answer here, is "because you're poor". The lawyers in charge of getting him to settle, know this. They know that 15k will sound like a lot of money. They know that the financial status will not be such that the dude will be able to get quality legal advice. So that's what they took advantage off.

I'm not seeing any reasoning or evidence that points it towards "we're not going to pay him much because he's black"

MikeDwight

Well its a stone-throw from the youtube guy who claimed, Africa never had homosexuality and the slavemaster invented homosexuality, right?? I'm not done Toby! Oh no!

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Sooo...you're saying it's not so much a racial issue but an ignorance issue. They didn't know that they had options. Seems like some black lawyers would have jumped all over these cases, even after the facts.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Not every bad thing that happens to a black person, can be traced back to being black.

I agree. However the story is fishy considering the circumstances surrounding these victims.

It seems to me that they themselves settled on the deal.

True, which is why I supplied both the video and the New York Times report. Why were other non-black victims paid much more? Why was these victims met in secret? These are questions I have.

Now, you can come up with all kinds of reasons (valid or otherwise) about them being poor and therefor difficulty of getting quality legal advice etc.... But that's entirely different then "because I am black!"

Poverty is a given but again, when comparing sexual abuse with other non-black victims why were these people paid significantly less? Because they didn't have lawyers? If that is the case why were they met in secret? Why didn't the settling party have a lawyer present?

Any person or organization that did something wrong and tries to settle for some sum of money, is always going to try to get away with paying less rather then more. If you are happy with 50k, they won't be giving you 100k.

That is, if you have a good lawyer that will squeeze them.

Eventhough I haven't read the backstory,

Protip: Never make an uninformed opinion about a story without reading on it. Because even though you may not see any racial implications in a story there very well could be something in effect racial going on. Because admitting to haven't read the backstory yet want to make a judgment call means you're taking shots in the dark without actually knowing what's going on.

You would have been better off reading my post #2

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Well its a stone-throw from the youtube guy who claimed, Africa never had homosexuality and the slavemaster invented homosexuality, right?? I'm not done Toby! Oh no!

13771ad3b717b83c37ffae3459d581fa.jpg

MikeDwight

Nobody has a link about this sorry, comparably you're better sourced story, it was a yotube user's feed anyway.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If the Church had so many victims of sexual assault that their numbers
can be examined statistically, that certainly indicates a huge problem.
And it's not a racial problem....it's that the Church enabled clergy to
rape children on a massive scale. Note also that government allowed
this to occur.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I still don't see where this has much to do with race, and is about degree of sophistication.
Are you saying that no white people settled for peanuts, when they could have gotten more had they been more savvy? I know for a fact that many did.
Tom

pearl

I still don't see where this has much to do with race, and is about degree of sophistication.
Are you saying that no white people settled for peanuts, when they could have gotten more had they been more savvy? I know for a fact that many did.
Tom

I think its the individual diocese that is sued, and they are not all financially equal. Lawyers and insurance companies will always offer the least you will accept. And if one could really use the money they're tempted to take it.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I agree. However the story is fishy considering the circumstances surrounding these victims.

What circumstances? Fishy in what way?

True, which is why I supplied both the video and the New York Times report. Why were other non-black victims paid much more? Why was these victims met in secret? These are questions I have.

Correlation doesn't imply causation. All I'm seeing here is assumptions of racist accusation, while it seems to me that there is a far more plausible answer.

Poverty is a given but again, when comparing sexual abuse with other non-black victims why were these people paid significantly less? Because they didn't have lawyers?

Errrr...... yes?
When negotiating a settlement with big filthy rich organizations that don't have just one lawyer, but teams of lawyers, without having lawyer yourself... it's safe to say that they will be walking all over you using all the tricks of the trade.

This is literally what lawyers are for: they get you a better deal.

Seems kind of obvious!

If that is the case why were they met in secret? Why didn't the settling party have a lawyer present?

Strategy.

If *I* were on the team tasked with settling for the lowest amount possible and I knew I'ld be dealing with a poor person that has no access to quality legal advice.... the last thing I would want to do is put a big public light on the case as that would obviously compromise your negotation goals.

So, in context of a goal of having to pay the least possible, that makes perfect sense. We can question the ethical value thereof till the cows come home - and we'll probably agree on how unethical it is...
But that's not the point being discussed.

Again, I see no reason to pull the race card here. Or perhaps better put: nothing you've said tells me that it's about race.

That is, if you have a good lawyer that will squeeze them.

Sure. And no matter what the color of your skin is - which is irrelevant for that

Protip: Never make an uninformed opinion about a story without reading on it

I wasn't uninformed. You informed me in the OP.
The stuff you said in the OP however, make no mention of any elements that deal with racism. And yet the subject of your OP is an accusation of racism, or at least: different treatement as a direct result of racial elements.

But your OP contains NO ELEMENTS at all that suggest this is the case.

I'ld think that if you would create an OP based on a case described in some article, to point out the racism involved, that your OP would at least mention the case elements that suggest racism.

The fact that you didn't (or at least: that the elements you did bring up weren't sufficient for me to conclude racism), tells me that there are no such elements.

If there were, surely you would have mentioned them.

Instead, you talked about poverty, the victim being ignorant about his legal options, due to being poor being unable to hire a good lawyer, etc.

There's nothing there about race, except for the (seemingly trivial) fact that the victim happens to be black.

This is why I started my post with "not every bad thing that happens to a black person is related to that person's skin color".

[qutoe]Because even though you may not see any racial implications in a story there very well could be something in effect racial going on.[/quote]

Sure. There "could" be. It "could" also be that he's a democrat and the others republicans that it's political discrimination. Or, it "could" be that the most plausible explanation is correct and the only reason they only paid 15k is because they knew they could get away with it - regardless of skin color.

See, there are entirely not enough details here...
We don't even know the nature of the cases. Perhaps the one with 500k was gangraped by 10 priests while the one with 15k only had a prostate exam that went on for longer then it needed.
What about the defense of the ones with 500k? Did they do have good lawyers? Were they rich already? Perhaps a parent that's famous one way or the other or a big chief somewhere? Perhaps those other case had loads more media attention, meaning that there already was a public spotlight on them - which will automatically make wallets open up wider?

There are so many elements missing here that from what I can see, your argument amounts to not more then this at this point:

P1: poor black man without lawyer agrees with 15k settlement over undefined sexual abuse case
P2: white person with unknown financial status, unknown legal assistance, gets 500k over underfined sexual abuse case

Conclusion: therefor, racism.

It's not sounding very convincing to me.

Because admitting to haven't read the backstory yet want to make a judgment call

Excuse me..... YOU are the one making the judgement call.
I'm merely questioning your judgement call, based on the evidence that you did not present.

Once again, if there were clear elements in this case pointing to racism, I'ld expect you to mention them in the OP, since that's what your entire OP is about: accusations of racism.

Since you didn't, I assume that there are no such elements. If there were, why wouldn't you mention them, as presenting that would actually make the point you are trying to make.....

means you're taking shots in the dark without actually knowing what's going on.

I'm shooting in the amount of light that your OP is shining on the case.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think its the individual diocese that is sued, and they are not all financially equal. Lawyers and insurance companies will always offer the least you will accept. And if one could really use the money they're tempted to take it.
Also when.
The church had a lot more clout 20 years ago. Lawyers were a lot less ready to take them on.
Things have changed hugely in the past few decades.
Tom

pearl

Also when.
The church had a lot more clout 20 years ago. Lawyers were a lot less ready to take them on.
Things have changed hugely in the past few decades.
Tom

Absolutely, I live in Massachusetts where the whole abuse thing blew up with defiant Cardinal Law. One of the options we had to force the issue was to withhold weekly offerings, which we gave to Catholic Charities instead of the local Churches. One more instance from which we ought to appreciate our freedom of the press.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Then that's not equality that is the fault of the people involved. There are plenty of black lawyers out there who could take these cases pro bono to help out those within their own community.