• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Church Denied 8-Year-Old First Communion Because He’s Autistic"

Skwim

Veteran Member

"A New Jersey couple said their 8-year-old son is being denied the chance to make his First Communion by their church because he is autistic, NBC News reports.

"Jimmy LaCugna said in a Facebook post that he and his wife were informed Tuesday by Rev. John Bambrick at Saint Aloysius Church that their son, Anthony, won't be able to participate in the religious ceremony because he feels the boy is "unable to determine right from wrong due to his disability."

LaCugna said they were told Anthony, who is non-verbal, is not at the "benchmark required to make his communion."

The church released a statement Wednesday on Facebook saying it follows the Code of Canon Law, which states that a Catholic cannot be denied the sacraments as long as they are properly prepared and are ready to receive the sacraments." [I assume being "properly prepared" includes knowing right from wrong].
source

Not that I put any credence in communion, first or otherwise, but this seems a rather odd requirement,. especially after having looked into Catholic Communion a bit, some of which said:

"The main purpose of holy Communion, is to bring those of us who receive it to eternal life with our Lord in heaven."

"The word Communion comes from Latin: Con means “with” and unio means “union.” Communio means “union with.” Catholics believe that Communion allows the believer to be united with Christ by sharing His body and blood. The priest and deacon, sometimes with the assistance of extraordinary ministers (nonclerics who have been given the authority to assist the priest), distribute Holy Communion to the faithful."

"only those who are united in the same beliefs — the seven sacraments, the authority of the pope, and the teachings in the Catechism of the Catholic Church — are allowed to receive Holy Communion."
Of course I may have missed the benchmark that said a person must know right from wrong, but I don't believe so.
In any case good RF people here, especially Catholics, is the lack of being able to determine right from wrong really a reasonable requirement for denying communion?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I think it was on this forum where I read about the story of another autistic child being denied communion because the child would refuse to swallow the wafer after it was put in his mouth. The father offered to eat the wafer after it had been put in the child's mouth, but the kid was refused communion anyway.

I left Catholicism but to a practicing Catholic, receiving the communion is the very heart of religious life, so they made a lot of rules and requirements about it. Some of these rules can be traced back to the Bible. When I attended Lutheran services for a while, I noticed there's a difference between Catholics and Protestants. Lutherans consider them self "a community of sinners", whereas Catholics consider themselves a "community of saints". Differing from Protestants, Catholics also believe in permanent real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, so the wafer is actually Christ all the time.That's why ideally only priests are to touch it and some traditionalists are against communion in the hand. I consider this a form of magic now, but as said before Catholics consider themselves a "community of saints", and there are requirements to fulfill if you want to be a "saint". For example, before communion you "must" have gone to confession or else you're unworthy for communion, calling the terrible wrath of God upon your head if you go.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, not Catholic, but...
It kinda makes sense to me. I mean, if the child is severely autistic, what is it that the communion is supposed to be doing?
Does the child believe in God and Catholic beliefs?

Far be it from me to defend the Church, but...?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

"A New Jersey couple said their 8-year-old son is being denied the chance to make his First Communion by their church because he is autistic, NBC News reports.
In any case good RF people here, especially Catholics, is the lack of being able to determine right from wrong really a reasonable requirement for denying communion?

I think the priest does have a point.
People should not confirm to a faith so young as 8 years of age, nor should they take communion, imo.

Many religions think that 13-15 years old is the youngest age to declare for a faith or religion, or take any kind of communion, so, yeah, think the priest is right. As for Autism, no two cases are exactly similar, are they, so it's all about Age first, and then Awareness second. How does that sound?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Sorry, not Catholic, but...
It kinda makes sense to me. I mean, if the child is severely autistic, what is it that the communion is supposed to be doing?
Does the child believe in God and Catholic beliefs?

Far be it from me to defend the Church, but...?

Yes...... and you can imagine what detractors would say if churches were enrolling, confirming or giving communion to infants.

And Autism is so varied in nature, so I reckon its down to age.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I say that it's essential for the Catholic Church to conduct its ceremonies
in a manner which pleases us atheists & other secular folk.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Not that I put any credence in communion, first or otherwise, but this seems a rather odd requirement,.
This is the problem. You don't understand sacred ritual.

This was not a denial. It was a postponement. And it was a judgement call. Unless the boy truly understands what's happening, it would be a bit sacrilegious. If he's "nonverbal" it's hard to say what's going on inside his mind. But it matters, a lot.

The priest did what he thought right. It's the parents who are misbehaving. Perhaps they don't really get the concept of "sacraments".
Tom

pearl

The church released a statement Wednesday on Facebook saying it follows the Code of Canon Law, which states that a Catholic cannot be denied the sacraments as long as they are properly prepared and are ready to receive the sacraments." [I assume being "properly prepared" includes knowing right from wrong].

Its interesting that the sacrament of Reconciliation is not mentioned as it is a perquisite for receiving Eucharist, and is the sacrament that requires knowing 'right from wrong'. It may mean that the child will be able to receive when older and having had the benefit of special education programs.
Some of the Orthodox churches administer baptism. Eucharist and confirmation at once.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Its interesting that the sacrament of Reconciliation is not mentioned as it is a perquisite for receiving Eucharist, and is the sacrament that requires knowing 'right from wrong'. It may mean that the child will be able to receive when older and having had the benefit of special education programs.
Some of the Orthodox churches administer baptism. Eucharist and confirmation at once.

The church involved in the sciences that causes that child by atmospheric environmental irradiation to inherit autism ought to rethink its own teachings.

For you adult self are the owner/teacher of knowing right from wrong your own self.

The child, an innocent is learning and cannot wilfully ever be considered anything other than a child of the spirit and in the presence of his Holy Father's rights and teachings, who always said.....
Proverbs 6:16-17
There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

James 1:27
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Romans 13:1-14
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. .

Micah 6:8
He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Psalm 127:3
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward

Galatians 5:14
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

How is that child not the same as your own self?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Its interesting that the sacrament of Reconciliation is not mentioned as it is a perquisite for receiving Eucharist,
I started to bring this up, but it seemed too esoteric for a Skwim thread.
How does a "nonverbal" 8y/o meet that expectation?
Tom

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

In the Catholic Church, at least when I was active, before the sacrament of First Holy Communion, there is Reconciliation, also known as confession, in which the parishioner must confess one's sins.

If one is unable to determine what behaviors are classified as sins, then technically, one cannot confess, and then cannot receive penance, perform said penance, and be absolved of their sins, and thereby would not be able to receive communion.

PureX

Veteran Member
All religions have their rules and dogmas. If we don't agree with them, we should probably not engage in the practice of them.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, it's Catholicism. They're rather anal with their legalism and don't put people first. One of the reasons why I dumped it. I prefer the openness of the Anglicans when it comes to Communion - anyone is welcome and they don't guilt trip you about being in a state of grace. I always thought turning people away from Communion was very offensive, arrogant and un-Christlike.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It allows us to stick our noses into the question: "What is communion for?" At first this decision sounds to me like superstition in the ministry, like they they're making separate churches for people with separate IQ levels. Another thought is instead of that the minister could be thinking that its important that people who take communion can uphold some duty or have some ability associated with it. The parents think that it should be a technicality that the child can't fulfill any duty, either because they think apparently that their child needs this or that they need for their child to have it. Perhaps it is difficult for the child to attend service with them and not partake when everyone else does? Why are the parents attending? What do they think communion does for them that is being denied to their child? Its clearly not what the minister thinks that it is.

Maximus

the Confessor
All religions have their rules and dogmas. If we don't agree with them, we should probably not engage in the practice of them.

That is not enough for @Skwim nor does he care either way. His posts are simply a way to lash out at Christians. He is a hater.

PureX

Veteran Member
That is not enough for @Skwim nor does he care either way. His posts are simply a way to lash out at Christians. He is a hater.
Maybe. But the media loves to stir up this stuff, to keep people looking at the advertisements. And people do seem to really enjoy passing judgments on other people and circumstances that they know nothing about. It's become an American obsession, almost.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Well, it's Catholicism. They're rather anal with their legalism and don't put people first. One of the reasons why I dumped it. I prefer the openness of the Anglicans when it comes to Communion - anyone is welcome and they don't guilt trip you about being in a state of grace. I always thought turning people away from Communion was very offensive, arrogant and un-Christlike.
Catholicism is not as controlling now as it has been in the past. But you're right, it does tend toward control, and top-down authoritarianism. But some people like that. Need that, even, I suppose.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member

"Jimmy LaCugna said in a Facebook post that he and his wife were informed Tuesday by Rev. John Bambrick at Saint Aloysius Church that their son, Anthony, won't be able to participate in the religious ceremony because he feels the boy is "unable to determine right from wrong due to his disability."

LaCugna said they were told Anthony, who is non-verbal, is not at the "benchmark required to make his communion."

source

Not that I put any credence in communion, first or otherwise, but this seems a rather odd requirement,. especially after having looked into Catholic Communion a bit, some of which said:

"The main purpose of holy Communion, is to bring those of us who receive it to eternal life with our Lord in heaven."

"The word Communion comes from Latin: Con means “with” and unio means “union.” Communio means “union with.” Catholics believe that Communion allows the believer to be united with Christ by sharing His body and blood. The priest and deacon, sometimes with the assistance of extraordinary ministers (nonclerics who have been given the authority to assist the priest), distribute Holy Communion to the faithful."

"only those who are united in the same beliefs — the seven sacraments, the authority of the pope, and the teachings in the Catechism of the Catholic Church — are allowed to receive Holy Communion."
Of course I may have missed the benchmark that said a person must know right from wrong, but I don't believe so.

The Canon laws can be hard and cold, and often are. But these are the Laws of men, in the Church, which no Catholic should deny..!

I would be willing to carry on a friendly debate with another Catholic on the topic, and this in no way hinders my faith in the Catholic Church, BTW, since Christ admitted that he would authorize the Church with the "keys" to "bind and loosen", which is exactly what the Canon Laws are -the binding and loosening.