• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas: the tyranny of the majority

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So, here I am at work, where both factory and office are blessed with non-stop Christmas music courtesy of a Chicago radio station: some benign, some inane, and some intensely doctrinal. Short of alienating their management and coworkers alike, the atheists, Jews, Hindus, and Muslims can do little other than grit their teeth in the face of wave after wave of Christian sermon piped into the workplace. I long for New Years ... :(

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I know what you mean.
I stop listening to the radio altogether this time of year.

tomspug

Absorbant
You could... move out of the country. Christmas is kind of an American tradition, not just a religious holiday.

Also... Jingle Bells? Are you offended?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think the courteous thing for any workplace is to mix it up with all kinds of music. In order to encourage diversity where I work, we play everything from Rock to Jazz to Reggae to Latin. I was surprised what different types of music I could get into.

Random

I know what you mean. If only it were possible for people to simply enjoy the festive season for the orgiastic consumer-frenzy it really is. >Sigh<

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So, here I am at work, where both factory and office are blessed with non-stop Christmas music courtesy of a Chicago radio station: some benign, some inane, and some intensely doctrinal. Short of alienating their management and coworkers alike, the atheists, Jews, Hindus, and Muslims can do little other than grit their teeth in the face of wave after wave of Christian sermon piped into the workplace. I long for New Years ... :(
I feel for ya Jay. I utterly detest so-called Christmas music as a rule, but with special emphasis on modernized "classics". Today I heard some inane classic that had been redone in a Jass fusion way -- and rather badly, to boot. The result was nothing less than a sonic horror.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I feel for ya Jay. I utterly detest so-called Christmas music as a rule, but with special emphasis on modernized "classics". Today I heard some inane classic that had been redone in a Jass fusion way -- and rather badly, to boot. The result was nothing less than a sonic horror.

Shows how relative musical taste really is. :D I rather enjoy a lot of the classics for their musical value.

Rolling_Stone

Jeez. And people accuse me of being hypersensitive and venting.

:Singing: Merry Christmas, Jay!

standing_alone

I feel for ya Jay. I utterly detest so-called Christmas music as a rule, but with special emphasis on modernized "classics".

Maybe it's the musician in me, but I appreciate some Christmas music, mostly the religious, in fact, but I got to agree with you on this "modernized classics" point. When I think of the "modern Christmas music" I loathe, I tend to automatically think of the Great Musical Satan that is Leroy Anderson (my personal opinion, of course). Anyone who has played in an orchestra knows how nearly impossible it is to go a "Christmas Season" without playing either his "Christmas Festival" or, perhaps, the worst of them all, "Sleigh Ride." Pity on the orchestra that plays them both in the same concert :( like mine last weekend. :( :( Why must crappy Christmas music deprive orchestras from playing symphonies and other pieces crafted by true musical geniuses? :( :( :(:sad4:

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I don't like Christmas music ether myself, don't know why just can't stand it. Hear the same song over and over 5 times a day and all that. Good thing the radio station I listen to doesn't play any really. They do play the 12 day of Christmas play by Taking Back Sunday
YouTube - Taking Back Sunday - 12 Days of Christmas

I love this song.

blackout

Violet.
I try to always remember to bring my mp3 player with me to the store this time of year...
to drown out the piped in christmas music. Radio hop scotch also becomes more prevalent.
After 10 years as a church pianist I'm burned out on christmas music enough for 3 lifetimes.

The only exception really in my house is "Nightmare Before Christmas".
Really love "sandy claws".;)

I also don't like that people are "expected" to do xmass.
I say only do a thing IF YOU really WANT to.
and then do it the WAY you want to.
Or else ... why bother?
(and who cares how other people do it anyway?!)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I usually like Christmas music... during the Christmas season of course. I went to the mall a week BEFORE Thanksgiving, and it was playing over the loudspeaker. I refused to acknowledge that it existed.

The thing that really gets me about Christmas is how my brother has turned gift giving into a competition. He's making a lot more money than I am, and can afford to go a little overboard. But when I show up with my one thoughtful present to everyone, he glares at me with that "you cheap *****" look.

One thing that I find very humorous though, is for the past 2 years my mom has given me something Pagan-y, when she doesn't accept that I'm Pagan in the first place!

BucephalusBB

ABACABB

Jay, it's about 3 weeks a year... Get over it!! :slap:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

Could be worse Jay...

173627.jpg