• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas: the tyranny of the majority

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
As a christian, who celebrates Christmas as a religious holiday...I agree 100% with what Jay said. Several reasons for that agreement. I don't care what the religious belief may be, hearing the same tune over and over again for about 30 days would drive anyone postal. Also, how fair is it that people in a work environment should have to hear music of a religious tone that they don't agree with? I would have a problem with it if it where me.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So, here I am at work, where both factory and office are blessed with non-stop Christmas music courtesy of a Chicago radio station: some benign, some inane, and some intensely doctrinal. Short of alienating their management and coworkers alike, the atheists, Jews, Hindus, and Muslims can do little other than grit their teeth in the face of wave after wave of Christian sermon piped into the workplace. I long for New Years ... :(
Happy New Year, Jay! :kissbette And may you recover quickly!

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
So, here I am at work, where both factory and office are blessed with non-stop Christmas music courtesy of a Chicago radio station: some benign, some inane, and some intensely doctrinal. Short of alienating their management and coworkers alike, the atheists, Jews, Hindus, and Muslims can do little other than grit their teeth in the face of wave after wave of Christian sermon piped into the workplace. I long for New Years ... :(

I suppose I am a dichotomy of sorts...a rude emplacement of self within an otherwise scurrilous lot of heathenish atheists/skeptics/unbelievers.

I embrace the secular/pluralistic ideals of Christmas-time.

I would prefer that compassion, charity, and empathy be the driving motivations of humanistic interactions on a daily basis...but I'll settle for a distinct focus upon those traits/values for at least 30 or so days out of 365.

If one relies upon/requires a religiously-held perspective to propagate such humanistic traits, then...fine. I'll accept that. If care for the indigent, the ignorant, the homeless, or the forgotten---inspires--even temporarily...an inspired sense of contribution and care to restore humanistic hopes of regained dignity, self-worth, and relevance...within a culture that measures "success" by monetary wealth; or notoriety; or influential power/authority...then...perhaps, "the Holidays" will come to mean something more than giving/receiving PlayStation 3s and Plasma HDTVs...or midnight devotionals of religious subscriptions.

...maybe, just maybe, people will devote just a moment's time to fulfill their fleeting efforts in the here and now...and not upon securing some hopeful wish of an "everlasting" slot within some "eternal hereafter".

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
--Mahatma Gandhi

Merry Christmas...to all.

;-)

Mr. Peanut

I enjoy Christmas music. Brings in warm memories of Christmases past and the birth of the Blessed Saviour. I was singing as I worked last week and we all were saying how we wished they would play some Christmas music for us, but they do not allow any music on the factory floor.

Mr. Peanut

What you enjoy is entirely irrelevant to the question of what you should be allowed to impose. Whether it's a question of polluting a work environment or polluting a thread, it's pollution nonetheless.
No Christmas music anywhere public to appease black-hearted atheists like Jay! There is a lot of great Christmas music by magnificent composers throughout history that we have enjoyed for centuries and will continue to do so until the Lord returns. The only pollution is atheists who come along and want to forbid what we have done traditionally for many hundreds of years, be it by radio or caroling or what have you. In this country, at least so far up to now, we have freedom OF religion, not from it. If you hate it so much, get another job.

Mr. Peanut

*points to "discussion" forum*

No debating y'all. :)

Peace,
Mystic
My appologies. I understand how some feel, actually. Nobody should have music of a religion forced on them at work or in public. And people should be free to enjoy their music as well. Christmas is a Christian holiday but also a secular and even pagan holiday as well. While I do not believe in Santa and reindeer, etc. I still enjoy the 'secular' songs as well as the sacred. I enjoy the sights, sounds, tastes, etc. of the season. I think people may go to far on both sides, of disallowing and allowing Christmas music of any kind to be heard. And that is as "discussive forum" as I can get, so slfn.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I love celebrations Christian or otherwise. If I saw Pagans celebrating that would make me smile. If they were playing music, that would be joyous!

A Jewish wedding and music would make me smile.

Hearing Christmas music and being upset not only shows intolerance, it is borderline bigotry.

Kidblop

black friday and the entire December month should be considered "national holidays" for the sake of the workers and their diminishing paychecks.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense

poor thing.

I can't help but think how many of the hearing impaired would love to have this kind of problem (sorry)

Bishka

Veteran Member

What would be nice would be Jewish, Muslim, and other religious music played during this season. This is not just the "Christmas Season," it is a season of celebration for many faiths. If one religion gets preference, the others should have some say in the matter.

nutshell

Jay, have you considered reminding management of the company's non-harassment policy I'm almost certain is in the employee handbook?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Jay,

I could see many jobs where having to listen to such music would be mandatory. Malls and other retail establishments use Christmas music as a means of attracting their clientèle. The local Wallymart was on the news as they have roving carolers singing in their store today. Such is the price of working in retail!

In fact, unless you work for the government, there is little you can do, other than to make your displeasure known to your supervisor. However, I would suggest that it's a callous and narrow minded employer that would foist unwanted music on it's workers. Why alienate a good worker by being insensitive? The converse is also true though: why spoil someone else's party, just because you can?

For the first time ever I sought out Hanukkah music, though I didn't find much. XM had a channel devoted to it, and I found it rather folksy in nature. It's good to expand your horizons and listen to things that would normally not interest you. To that end, I sometimes find myself tuning into listening to someone like Rush Limbaugh. Sometimes I laugh at him and quite often I cry at his meanness and ego. While I would never want to censor him, I would be APPALLED if any place I worked for piped him in for all to listen to. In fact, I would probably leave if they didn't listen to reason.