• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians, why do you hate Gays?

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Yeah I'm fairly certain I never prayed as hard as when I wanted faith. Didn't get it.

Closest thing I've gotten to a message lately has most definitely not been from anyone named Yahweh.

Isn't faith a choice? I think maybe one can pray that the choice be easier but it still is something that you have to choose to do.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Well, good luck convincing most men to stop caring about a woman's purity for relationships and marriage. Ask 10 men if they'd prefer a woman with 3 partners or 300 for a wife, let me know your findings.

You'd be surprised just how many women don't mind being objectified (And seem to enjoy it) but that's for another thread, we're getting off topic.

Again, you were incredibly insulting and reduced women to objects. All women. Not a consenting partner who likes being treated in a certain way.

Never mind that your argument is stupid because of dildos and vibrators and other sex toys that are far larger than any actual penis. But the concept that women should have sex with other women until they find their one true man to save themselves for that one true man and protect their vaginas from "wear and tear" is disgusting.

And no, you brought it up in this thread so it's staying here.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Well, good luck convincing most men to stop caring about a woman's purity for relationships and marriage. Ask 10 men if they'd prefer a woman with 3 partners or 300 for a wife, let me know your findings.

You'd be surprised just how many women don't mind being objectified (And seem to enjoy it) but that's for another thread, we're getting off topic.

Ok, that is just disgusting. Where is this assumption that a woman would be with so many men???

Some women not minding being objectified is white different from making generalisations.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Isn't faith a choice? I think maybe one can pray that the choice be easier but it still is something that you have to choose to do.
Could you choose to stop believing?

I don't believe, I could pretend to believe but not choose it. It isn't a grocery store shelf "pick one." I could pretend the sun was green but I wouldn't believe it.

So I had faith, strong faith, I lost faith, I prayed for faith, I got nothing. Guess what, no faith.

Shermana

Heretic
That is the problem with the bible, so many translations and sometimes there are varying meanings to one verse. No wonder people are confused.

I would take Lay hold on, take, seize etc to mean the same thing. Force. Its all about interpretation, there are other verses that imply without stating.

But to assume that "Take" means "To seize by force" necessarily would mean ignoring all the places where it clearly doesn't imply such, it's just another example of people translating it how they want it to be translated, in this case in a way which seems to make it easiest to find offensive.

I do admit that most (not all) translations take the "seize by force" route, but I think it's rather clear that it's a repeat of Exodus 22:16, just like how the rest of Deuteronomy is mostly a repeat of earlier rulings.

romana03

Your attitude towards women is obnoxious. :facepalm:

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Also, I love how it's about the woman's purity. The guy doesn't need to avoid wear and tear, or keep his purity. He's going to have sex with the women and then call them sluts for it.

You know, business as usual, right? Since we're just making wild blanket assumptions.

Shermana

Heretic
Speak for yourself, bub.

Perhaps I should start a thread with a poll asking this question, it's rather hard to find studies on this issue without relying on anecdotal evidence or the sheer amount of websites discussing this, but perhaps you'd like to answer why so many women are said to lie about their partner counts to make them seem lower than they are.

I could just post things like:

http://www.hookingupsmart.com/2012/...es/the-sexual-double-standard-cuts-both-ways/

One of my core beliefs about mating is that the sexual double standard reflects the biological differences between the sexes. Generally speaking, men prefer women with less sexual experience than they have and women prefer men with more sexual experience than they have (Buss, The Evolution of Desire).
But I'm sure that wouldn't register as defacto evidence for many here.

And the appeal for Virgins is hardly limited to Judeo-Christian culture.

Truly, this deserves its own thread, we're getting too off topic. I was just talking about how I think Lesbianism is a major solution for problems affecting women. Especially the rash of women today who are trying to get married but can't.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

So... the only thing stopping you from being a Hindu (or an atheist, or a Pagan, or a Satanist) is an act of will on your part? Interesting.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Could you choose to stop believing?

I don't believe, I could pretend to believe but not choose it. It isn't a grocery store shelf "pick one." I could pretend the sun was green but I wouldn't believe it.

So I had faith, strong faith, I lost faith, I prayed for faith, I got nothing. Guess what, no faith.

Of course I could stop believing. I could simply embrace one of the other teachings going around. Teachings like "God isn't real, it's a figment of the imagination.", or "God is a dirt bag who cares nothing for his creation." I could probably find some events in my life, usually ones involving experiences of pain, that on the surface look as though they support such assertions.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
But to assume that "Take" means "To seize by force" necessarily would mean ignoring all the places where it clearly doesn't imply such, it's just another example of people translating it how they want it to be translated, in this case in a way which seems to make it easiest to find offensive.

I do admit that most (not all) translations take the "seize by force" route, but I think it's rather clear that it's a repeat of Exodus 22:16, just like how the rest of Deuteronomy is mostly a repeat of earlier rulings.

Well this is exactly the issue. You have different translations/version saying different things. I wonder what the differences would be if someone compared todays version to the original version.

Also, you make the assumption that it is a repeat of exodus.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Of course I could stop believing. I could simply embrace one of the other teachings going around. Teachings like "God isn't real, it's a figment of the imagination.", or "God is a dirt bag who cares nothing for his creation." I could probably find some events in my life, usually ones involving experiences of pain, that on the surface look as though they support such assertions.

Most people cant change their minds just because they want to.

Just letting you know.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Perhaps I should start a thread with a poll asking this question, it's rather hard to find studies on this issue without relying on anecdotal evidence or the sheer amount of websites discussing this, but perhaps you'd like to answer why so many women are said to lie about their partner counts to make them seem lower than they are.

I could just post things like:

The Sexual Double Standard Cuts Both Ways

But I'm sure that wouldn't register as defacto evidence for many here.
Yeah you're right, a hookup site is not evidence for jack.
It can't be a cultural thing at all, no, it can't be reflection of men controlling society and thus women for centuries, nope. It's just biological.

Funny thing, none of my multiple boyfriends gives a **** about my sexual experience whether it exceeds theirs or not.

Your misogyny is showing and it's really ******.

Of course I could stop believing. I could simply embrace one of the other teachings going around. Teachings like "God isn't real, it's a figment of the imagination.", or "God is a dirt bag who cares nothing for his creation." I could probably find some events in my life that one the surface look as though they support such assertions.
Interesting that you could choose not to believe in your god. I couldn't have when I had faith. Perhaps your definition of belief is different than mine.

Shermana

Heretic
Well this is exactly the issue. You have different translations/version saying different things. I wonder what the differences would be if someone compared todays version to the original version.

Also, you make the assumption that it is a repeat of exodus.

Of course I make that assumption, but the other translaitons are also making asumptions. We make an assumption that the text in Deuteronomy is the same as it was originally. I base my assumption on the fact that most of Deuteronomy is a repeat of earlier rulings, and that it can in fact be read basically the same as Exodus 22:16 with different wording, that "Take" does not necessarily mean "Take by force", just like in English.

Everyone's assuming something with every translation they make.

Now if those who say that the Bible condones marriage-by-rape would admit that this translation is also an assumption and not the defacto intended meaning, things would be a lot easier.

This subject too also deserves its own thread.

Regardless though, your original point that "lie with a woman" should be read necessarily as "Rape a woman" simply doesn't fly.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Most people cant change their minds just because they want to.

Just letting you know.

They can choose to change how they interpret the events that led to their disillusionment. For instance, most people who had faith choose to believe that God abandoned them, that he fell asleep at the wheel. They can also choose to believe that God was there even if they didn't feel his presence. Even Jesus cried out "my God my God why have you forsaken me."

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
They can choose to change how they interpret the events that led to their disillusionment. For instance, most people who had faith choose to believe that God abandoned them, that he fell asleep at the wheel. They can also choose to believe that God was there even if they didn't feel his presence. Even Jesus cried out "my God my God why have you forsaken me."

Or for example, the logic just didn't add up to me anymore. I studied under the Jesuits, they taught me to question, I just didn't come to the same conclusion they did. God might have abandoned me, but more likely he doesn't exist. Or if he does, and he's as narrow minded as some of his followers think (only some, many disagree with you) then I wouldn't go back to following him even if I believed in him. Amazing how it's not so black and white.

I could believe in your god and not follow him, but instead I do neither.

Shermana

Heretic
Yeah you're right, a hookup site is not evidence for jack.
It can't be a cultural thing at all, no, it can't be reflection of men controlling society and thus women for centuries, nope. It's just biological.

Funny thing, none of my multiple boyfriends gives a **** about my sexual experience whether it exceeds theirs or not.

Your misogyny is showing and it's really ******.

Interesting that you could choose not to believe in your god. I couldn't have when I had faith. Perhaps your definition of belief is different than mine.

I am not ashamed of my so-called "misogyny" whatsoever, many of my female friends are also misogynistic and can't stand the current state of their fellow fairer sex. I would bet a million dollars that if you took a poll of most men, they would rather have a less experienced woman than a more experienced one for a long-term partner and/or mother of their child. If you're going to bring up your own experiences here, were any of those boyfriends in for the long haul by chance? That's a major factor of course.

I don't see how it would be "Controlling women" exactly, other than controlling mentalities to avoid widespread STDs and unwanted pregnancies. What kind of "Control" are you thinking about exactly? This phenomenon is seen worldwide. You can call it just as natural as hunting and gathering.

But once again, this should probably be the subject of another thread, I was simply making the point originally that Lesbianism is not condemned in the Scripture and is a possibly good alternative for women who are thinking long term and not short.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

First off, the distance from "it's said that..." to rumour or old wive's tale is pretty damn short.

Second, if we're engaging in specious generalizations, how about this one: plenty of men are insecure about how they "measure up" in bed. If you think you're a below average lover compared to most men, then your odds of being seen favourably by your partner decrease as the number of men she can compare you against goes up. Women aren't dummies; they can pick up on this.

The worst lover in the world can still be the best man his partner's ever had if she's never been with anyone else. OTOH, he probably knows full well that if his partner's been with a hundred other men, then he ranks 100 out of 100.

OTOH, if a man is confident about his love-making, then the number of men his partner has been with before doesn't matter. He can approach things from the mindset of "you've tried the rest... now try the best."

IMO, this whole notion of "female purity" is just a repackaged version of male insecurity. IOW, it's a polished turd.