• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians, why do you hate Gays?

R34L1TY

Neurology Nerd.
I know not all of them do and there are many other religions that are the same. I am just wondering why a minority of Christians hate gays?

I heard this song by macklemore last week and I thought it was beautifully written and a great example as to what I am asking;

[youtube]hlVBg7_08n0[/youtube]
YouTube

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I know not all of them do and there are many other religions that are the same. I am just wondering why a majority of Christians hate gays?
In my experience, "a majority" doesn't. Just an extremely loud and hysterical minority.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am a Christian and I don't hate gays.

But if you were to ask a Christian who believes homosexuality to be a sin, they will they "hate the sin, love the sinner". I am not saying anything is a sin or not a sin, I am just saying what they say. Most of the Christians I know think like that- and they hate no one.
What you are listening to are the loudest ones, not the majority, as Storm said.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experience, "a majority" doesn't. Just an extremely loud and hysterical minority.

^ This. And a very, very small minority at that. My family and almost everyone I know is Christian. I haven't been the target of any hatred, verbal or physical. I won't deny that I've perceived some people avoiding me, but I have no proof it's because I'm gay. That may be in my own mind.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I know not all of them do and there are many other religions that are the same. I am just wondering why a majority of Christians hate gays?

This, this, this.

Never met a Christian who does, personally, either. I hope it stays that way. There was some commotion at my kid's school, because one of the teachers was gay, some parents were concerned because of it. Some offensive remarks made about how they could be paedophiles, etc, were made by them.

The ones who defended his right to be a teacher, and called them up on their ignorance? Yours truly and my wife. Both religious. They weren't. This doesn't mean that most irreligious people "hate gays", either. It means some people are jerks, regardless of religion or lack of. :)

Onkara

I guess it is related to homosexuality being a sin in the NT?
I can't see how any Christian can get around what Paul teaches?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I guess it is related to homosexuality being a sin in the NT?
I can't see how any Christian can get around what Paul teaches?

Actually, there are quite a lot of Christians who now don't really pay as much attention to Paul. It has been established by some that Paul's works were not supposed to be included in the Bible and that some of them were not even written by Paul. This really has nothing to do with the discussion, however.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Where did Jesus say anything about hating gays?

The real reason people hate others is because it makes them feel better about themselves. If you can put down an entire group of people in your mind then it raises your own level of self esteem.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Where did Jesus say anything about hating gays?

The real reason people hate others is because it makes them feel better about themselves. If you can put down an entire group of people in your mind then it raises your own level of self esteem.

I agree with this^

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Some Christians believe Homosexuality is a sin, they tend to be Bible literalists.
A very rare breed over here who tend to have Gender and sexual issues all round.
Most, however, accept what ever sexuality people have assigned to them by God.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Don't know about Christians hating gays, but . . .
"A new survey conducted by LifeWay Research finds that 44 percent of Americans [not only Christians] believe homosexuality is a sin. Meanwhile, 43 percent believe it is not, and 13 percent are not sure.

Among evangelical, fundamentalist or born again Christians, 82 percent say homosexuality is a sin while only 14 percent say it is not a sin. This is compared to the 29 percent of those from other religions who say homosexuality is sinful.

"While we find 44 percent believe homosexuality is a 'sin,' Gallup reports 56 percent of Americans consider gay and lesbian relations morally acceptable," McConnell said."
source
This translates into 69% of Christian Americans (not simply Americans in general) believe homosexuality is a 'sin,'

Last edited:

Lady B

noob
I am one of those who do see the Bible is against homosexuality. However I do not hate anyone and recently had a very close relative tell me she is a lezbian and I am trying my best to understand and show her support without defying my beliefs in God's word. It is easy to be condemning of a lifestyle when it does not exist in your own personal space,But when it touches us, it becomes a hard stand to take.....

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A suggestion: either present evidence that a majority of Christians hate gays or apologize for your bigoted distortion.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Here is the problem as I see it anyway. I agree with Storm and others who say that it is a minority that actually hate gays, and I would even emphasize this by saying that it is very tiny minority that actually hates. But the problem is that it is a much larger percentage of Christians, approaching half I would say, that acts in a way that is hateful. I am talking about discrimination and the denial of basic human rights. Their motivation is not hate, they act out of confusion and ignorance. But regardless of motivation, the results are the same.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't know about Christians hating gays, but . . .
"A new survey conducted by LifeWay Research finds that 44 percent of Americans believe homosexuality is a sin. Meanwhile, 43 percent believe it is not, and 13 percent are not sure.

Among evangelical, fundamentalist or born again Christians, 82 percent say homosexuality is a sin while only 14 percent say it is not a sin. This is compared to the 29 percent of those from other religions who say homosexuality is sinful.

"While we find 44 percent believe homosexuality is a 'sin,' Gallup reports 56 percent of Americans consider gay and lesbian relations morally acceptable," McConnell said."
source

These sort of reports (survey results) fail to word it as it should be: "A new survey conducted by LifeWay Research finds that 44 percent of Americans surveyed [in geographic and demographic areas] believe homosexuality is a sin." All 300 million Americans cannot have been polled to give their opinions. This is why I dismiss survey results.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
fantôme profane;3135646 said:
Here is the problem as I see it anyway.
And here is the problem as I see it: you don't fight flawed and bigoted attitudes by promulgating outlandishly flawed and bigoted attitudes.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
fantôme profane;3135646 said:
Here is the problem as I see it anyway. I agree with Storm and others who say that it is a minority that actually hate gays, and I would even emphasize this by saying that it is very tiny minority that actually hates. But the problem is that it is a much larger percentage of Christians, approaching half I would say, that acts in a way that is hateful. I am talking about discrimination and the denial of basic human rights. Their motivation is not hate, they act out of confusion and ignorance. But regardless of motivation, the results are the same.
Granted.