• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: What is God?

Yes Man

Premium Member
The age old question. I would like some input on what people actually think (or know) is the nature of God. Or is this question not answerable? Is God really impossible to comprehend? I'm sure many of you have answered this question so what's one more time?

kadzbiz

Why don't you read Jack Miles' "God: A Biography"? Might answer some questions.

ayani

i believe that we can not know God in His entirety- it would be like one man in a little rowboat trying to understand the entirety of the sea and what is in it. in my faith, God is manifest through a Verse, and can be understood a little through remembrance of that Verse, as well as through other texts or writers who have been inspired. i believe that some of God's attributes which we should seek to emulate and grow stronger in are compassion, mercy, patience, and unity / harmony.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
What is God?

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.
"Say: He is Allah, the One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; And there is none like unto Him." (Quran; 112:1-4)

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
The LDS point of view:
God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are 3 separate beings.
They are totally united in purpose, which explains their "oneness".
We pray to the Father only and in the name of Jesus Christ.
The Father and Jesus both have tangible bodies of flesh and bone.
The Holy Ghost does not have a body, but is a spirit. His job is to testify of truth.
God communicates to us through the Holy Ghost.
Jesus Christ is our savior. He paid for our sins so that through repentence we can be made perfect. We are totally dependent on his mercy.
God the Father is our father. We are his spirit children. He knows and loves each of us.
He is all-knowing and all-powerful.

To me, this is comprehendable.

Francine

The Father and Jesus both have tangible bodies of flesh and bone. The Holy Ghost does not have a body, but is a spirit.

God the Father is a spirit and he does not have a body.

John.4:[24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
God the Father is a spirit and he does not have a body.

John.4:[24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
But this verse doesn't say, "God the Father is a spirit," does it? How do you know that it's God the Father this verse is speaking of? You believe that Jesus Christ has a body, don't you? Does that mean you don't believe He is God?

What do you believe it means to worship God "in spirit"?

Francine

But this verse doesn't say, "God the Father is a spirit," does it? How do you know that it's God the Father this verse is speaking of?

Every time Jesus spoke of God, he meant his Father, and when he spoke of the Holy Spirit, he called him the Comforter.

Random

It is easier to first consider what God is not. Start with the Old-Man in the Sky, or Zeus, for examples...

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
The age old question. I would like some input on what people actually think (or know) is the nature of God. Or is this question not answerable? Is God really impossible to comprehend? I'm sure many of you have answered this question so what's one more time?
God is the explanation. Creation is theophany.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
From the way the thread started, it didn't appear to be a debate. Just asking what the different beliefs are. So no need to correct anyone.

gnomon

I'm God.

What? You didn't hear the recent election outcomes in Madascagar? My recent campaign initiatives payed off and I won by a landslide. Of course, the Americans and Europeans were left out of this recent election. They were to stuck upon themselves to participate.

Of course, if you want a more meaningful answer I suggest reaching beyond modern Western philosophy and wondering how is it cargo cults developed? And also, why is it certain African cultures believe that white skins were immune from demonic influence that the natives believed in?

In there, combined with the modern monotheistic cultures, you will find a definition of God. Which is varied.

But I am still accepting frubals for my clever initial answer.:D

That's my point, nobody is really sure. I mean, the replys you have received. I am not sure the way I am to go about this, but the truth is we haven't yet come to understanding our Judeo/Christian Bible, and beside that it has a really bad name, almost evil. That is on account of ignorance and the doing of God, as the Babel Account claims. I have two postings up in this forum, and I should have number them one and two. The first part is entitled What does it mean, and by that I mean the western Bible. I am arguing, and will put up continuums as time goes by and as I learn more about publishing. The second part is called God loves you. God is partly your body, and other partly your mind, and lastly your imagination, and these are explained in the Book of Genesis. Genesis is a myth and is looked upon if not a lie then confusing and no body knows. That is the lie, and we all know; but we have been grossly distracted and no body trusts the living body and anyway I try to lead my readers into seeing what those first stories say and mean. Good luck to finding God, because for you to find will be God is for you to live fully your life. Paul Thomas

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
God is beyond comprehension, much less explanation. Of course, that's never stopped me. ;)