• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians..."Trinity"?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the case of Jesus, we're not necessarily talking about God, we're talking about a specific concept with ideas that rational thinking can address and discuss regarding textual examination, language construction, context analysis, and manuscript development.
Nope. We're talking about symbolism. We're talking about how people hear things, how they interpret them. Even laying out what you imagine is the most technical, scientific analysis of a piece of literature, you are going to be at best maybe within a neighboring galaxy's approximation of the reality of what it was for those living on the ground all those many, many years ago in a culture, far, far away. And even then, were you able to be part of that culture, you were not in that one person's mind, and at best are projecting yourself into them.

Objectivity, my ***. :)

With that said, I see no reason why a discussion on God must eschew logic and reason, many prominent historical philosophers would disagree with this notion that God and reason are not compatible.
Because at best you are describing a theological God, not God. (read my second signature line below)

Last edited:

Call_of_the_Wild

I am a Christian, but I reject the trinity doctrine. I have been told on more than one occasion by other so-called Christians that I can NOT be a Christian unless I accept the doctrine of trinity. Do you believe this is an accurate/fair stance to take?

I may be wrong (I doubt it), but the Trinity doctrine is not essential to salvation. Despite this, I think we owe it to our selves and to our God to want to seek the truth, and biblically speaking, Jesus is God.

captainbryce

And the world I am speaking of, is far less clear-cut than statistics (which themselves are disputable on many levels and for many reasons). Again, we're not talking about rocks and whatnot. We're talking about things that are highly subjective. It is an illusion that people actually agree 100% on anything. The illusion is created by finding general surface features that a particular group can mostly agree upon, and ignoring the millions of subtle differences, that given a chance to be looked at would splinter this illusion of unity of ideas.
I have no problem with the logic you are using here. But this isn't what you actually said! I'm merely pointing out the fallacy of your previous statement: "All truths are partial truths." That statement is factually incorrect, and it is not consistent with your explanation here.

captainbryce

I may be wrong (I doubt it), but the Trinity doctrine is not essential to salvation. Despite this, I think we owe it to our selves and to our God to want to seek the truth, and biblically speaking, Jesus is God.
Biblically speaking, he is 100% NOT God, and that is the truth! There, you see how easy it is to make a claim? This begs the question, which one of us can back the claim up using scripture and which one can't. And if you take the history of the various threads on this particular topic (on this forum alone), it is generally the people who favor trinity who have a hard time justifying their point of view without resorting to circular logic. The reason being, it is an inherently illogical concept. Furthermore, there is more in the bible that refutes the idea of a trinity than there is that supports it.

Having said all of that, I essentially agree with the first part of your statement.

Shermana

Heretic
Nope. We're talking about symbolism. We're talking about how people hear things, how they interpret them. Even laying out what you imagine is the most technical, scientific analysis of a piece of literature, you are going to be at best maybe within a neighboring galaxy's approximation of the reality of what it was for those living on the ground all those many, many years ago in a culture, far, far away. And even then, were you able to be part of that culture, you were not in that one person's mind, and at best are projecting yourself into them.

So you are saying that we can completely disregard all the historical basis and textual writings and language specifics behind the development of these doctrines, including the culture of the Israelites and how it was different from the gentile philosophies that later developed the Trinity doctrine. This essentially sounds like a lazy way of saying "We can't possibly understand so why bother". Who are you to say that we won't even be within a galaxy's proximity of the truth? That kind of bold assertion is what's galaxies away. We CAN know a basic idea of what they belived. Hyperbole will get you nowhere, and neither will completely throwing out the entire field of historical and biblical research.

Objectivity, my ***. :)

Or rather, you don't think objectivity is something to be considered for argument.

Because at best you are describing a theological God, not God. (read my second signature line below)

That makes absolutely no sense. Basically what you're doing is trying to say that it's impossible to have a coherent discussion on a particular view of God. So why do you even bother?

Last edited:

aka[DoW]

I am a Christian, but I reject the trinity doctrine. I have been told on more than one occasion by other so-called Christians that I can NOT be a Christian unless I accept the doctrine of trinity. Do you believe this is an accurate/fair stance to take?
Ive been looking over your posts and you seem to find the Trinity illogical for some reason... H2O can be liquid, a gas or a solid.. and its one of the easiest elements in existance to configure.. even we figured it out.. So ask yourself "How much greater is God than water?"

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word,
and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."
1 John 5:7

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
aka[DoW];3537861 said:
Ive been looking over your posts and you seem to find the Trinity illogical for some reason... H2O can be liquid, a gas or a solid.. and its one of the easiest elements in existance to configure.. even we figured it out.. So ask yourself "How much greater is God than water?"

1. The H20 argument is modalism, not Trinity. Many Christians fall for this unfortunately. Or fortunately for the anti-Trinitarians, since it makes it easier to point out how convoluted the argument is so that they end up falling for nonstop Modalist comparisons.

Many Trinitarians are actually Modalists | SharperIron
Modalism, Oneness, and T. D. Jakes | the Cripplegate

Orthodox Trinitarianism rejects modalism which believes that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are different names for the same God acting in different roles or manifestations (like the well-intentioned but misguided “water, vapor, ice” analogy).

2. Are you a KJV-onlyist? That's called the Comma Johanneum. If you look at other translations, you'll notice that verse is quite different. Because that version doesn't appear in any Greek manuscript until the 1500s. It's an historic example of Trinitarian tampering with the text to support their doctrine.

The Johannine Comma

Call_of_the_Wild

Biblically speaking, he is 100% NOT God, and that is the truth! There, you see how easy it is to make a claim?

It was as easy as the one that I made.

This begs the question, which one of us can back the claim up using scripture and which one can't.

Cool, well lets see which one can and which one cant.

And if you take the history of the various threads on this particular topic (on this forum alone), it is generally the people who favor trinity who have a hard time justifying their point of view without resorting to circular logic.

And if you take the history of the various threads that I particularly defended the Trinity doctrine against some of the best Anti-Trinitarians that this forum has to offer (shoutout to Sherm and Pegg :yes:), you would see that I didn't have a hard time justifying my point of view without resorting to circular logic.

The reason being, it is an inherently illogical concept. Furthermore, there is more in the bible that refutes the idea of a trinity than there is that supports it.

I would like for you to enlighten me on how the Trinity doctrine is an illogical concept.

Having said all of that, I essentially agree with the first part of your statement.

Wow. Talk about agreeing to disagree haha.

Shermana

Heretic
Yeah according to the phantom definite article, huh Sherm :D

It's not phantom. And its INDEFINITE when there's no definite.

Care to quote Acts 28:6?

Or do you want to cross out all the a's from your bible?

Or you could take the approach of Wallace, Goodspeed, and Moffatt and use "The word was Divine" (as in "A divine being".)

captainbryce

aka[DoW];3537861 said:
Your logic is what I generally like to refer to as bassackwards!

1) H2O can NOT be a liquid, a solid, and a gas AT THE SAME TIME. I can only be in ONE of those states at any given time. The trinity holds that Jesus was "fully man" and "fully God" at the same time. That is not logical!

2) As you rightfully point out (well, for the most part) H2O is a SIMPLE (not easy) chemical compound (not element). But God is not simply, he is infinitely complex, especially if you want to tie in the concept of trinity (which is so complex it cannot be logically explained). So it's a flawed analogy since the two things are so different in terms of complexity.

aka[DoW];3537861 said:
Sorry, but that's a false passage. It only exists in the King James Bible and has been removed from any other English translation of the scripture (with good reason).

Comma Johanneum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 John 5:7-8 (New International Version)
7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
*footnote: Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the fourteenth century)

1 John 5:7-8 (New Living Translation)
7 So we have these three witnesses— 8 the Spirit, the water, and the blood—and all three agree.
*footnote: A few very late manuscripts add in heaven—the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. And we have three witnesses on earth.

[youtube]JulqQ-cV8GQ[/youtube]
Should 1 John 5:7 be in the Bible? - YouTube

captainbryce

It was as easy as the one that I made.
Right, that's my point. :yes:

Cool, well lets see which one can and which one cant.
To be honest, that probably deserves it's own thread. But if you're so inclined, the burden of proof is on you. Show me in the bible where Jesus literally says he is God. 1 John 5:7 (the real translation from the manuscripts, not the King James forgery) does NOT say that.

And if you take the history of the various threads that I particularly defended the Trinity doctrine against some of the best Anti-Trinitarians that this forum has to offer (shoutout to Sherm and Pegg :yes:), you would see that I didn't have a hard time justifying my point of view without resorting to circular logic.
We'll see!

I would like for you to enlighten me on how the Trinity doctrine is an illogical concept.
It's illogical because one cannot be fully God and fully human at the same time. If one is fully human, then by definition they are NOT God, and vice-versa. Water is not liquid and solid at the same time. It can only be one or the other at any given time! Furthermore, it is also illogical to believe in a trinity when scripture (including Jesus' own words) emphatically rule that out as a possibility.

aka[DoW]

Your logic is what I generally like to refer to as bassackwards!

1) H2O can NOT be a liquid, a solid, and a gas AT THE SAME TIME. I can only be in ONE of those states at any given time. The trinity holds that Jesus was "fully man" and "fully God" at the same time. That is not logical!

2) As you rightfully point out (well, for the most part) H2O is a SIMPLE (not easy) chemical compound (not element). But God is not simply, he is infinitely complex, especially if you want to tie in the concept of trinity (which is so complex it cannot be logically explained). So it's a flawed analogy since the two things are so different in terms of complexity.

Sorry, but that's a false passage. It only exists in the King James Bible and has been removed from any other English translation of the scripture (with good reason).

1 John 5:7-8 (New International Version)
7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
*footnote: Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the fourteenth century)

1 John 5:7-8 (New Living Translation)
7 So we have these three witnesses— 8 the Spirit, the water, and the blood—and all three agree.
*footnote: A few very late manuscripts add in heaven—the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. And we have three witnesses on earth.

Very well.. you dont like the water imagery, then how about this.... Look at an orange, many different sections, each one has the same scent and taste as all the other sections of the orange. You and I could both be enjoying the same orange even though we may be nowhere close to one another. The difference with God is that He can reform Himself. Does that one suit your taste better?:D

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, you are incorrect. H20 can exist as liquid, solid, and gas at the same time. It's called the triple point of water:

"In thermodynamics, the triple point of a substance is the temperature and pressure at which the three phases (gas, liquid, and solid) of that substance coexist in thermodynamic equilibrium."

Triple point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But aside from that bit of science trivia, is it logical to try use logic to understanding something that is beyond the material realm, such as God? God, being the Ultimate of all that exists cannot be defined or limited to the boundaries of any manifestation. From this side, it doesn't fit how we think of the world. It goes beyond that. It becomes paradoxical. God is paradoxical, and therefore a contradiction to our mind actual would be consistent, and therefore logical in that it should be expected.

You are saying in here that God is a thing. That's your first problem. Secondly you say that this "thing", God, is infinitely complex. God is neither complex nor simple. God is not a thing with moving parts and whatnot. God Is.

The real objection to the Trinity doctrine I would have would be if it is taken in very concrete literal terms, which of course leads to the sorts of logical contradictions you wrestle with. If taken however as a loose manner of talking about aspects of knowing and relating to God, it has its use. But to try to use any theology whatsoever, be that the Trinity, modalism, or whatnot, is doing exactly the same thing that leads to these contradictions of the Trinity! They too fall into contradiction. Anything speaking of the Absolute in any sort of way that attempts to define it, and therefore limit it, will lead to contradiction.

Of course the Trinity doctrine is contradictory. All definitions of God become that. God is paradoxical. Everyone should stop trying to fit God into their minds. The second they attempt to do that, it's not God anymore.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So you are saying that we can completely disregard all the historical basis and textual writings and language specifics behind the development of these doctrines, including the culture of the Israelites and how it was different from the gentile philosophies that later developed the Trinity doctrine. This essentially sounds like a lazy way of saying "We can't possibly understand so why bother".
My god. Why is it always these extremes? I'm not saying you don't look at these things. All I am saying is quit being so absolutist in your pronouncements of them. I'm saying it is a fallacy we can claim to really understand something that by no means is overwhelming enough in evidence to proclaim anything approaching certitude regarding anything in recorded history.

The scholarship is fine, and it can be useful to help paint a general picture, but that picture should be held lightly, not with an iron fist. Every model we have should be taken as such, useful, but not infallible, not permanent, not fixed, not the "Truth!", not as "facts", etc. There are degrees of certitude, and history is not high up on that scale.

And to muddy the waters even further, those things that are higher on that scale are themselves only relatively true to our position of how we approach and filter understanding. The truth is realitive to us. We cannot as observers, be truly objective. The truth to a 5 year old, looks entirely different than it does to a 50 year old. Paragdim shifts radically alter what we call truth, and takes what we thought was certitude before and dissolves it. The set of eyes you look through, limit. And therefore certitude is not certain at all.

Who are you to say that we won't even be within a galaxy's proximity of the truth? That kind of bold assertion is what's galaxies away. We CAN know a basic idea of what they belived. Hyperbole will get you nowhere, and neither will completely throwing out the entire field of historical and biblical research.
"Completely throwing out". Extremes again.

I can say our certitudes are not so certain based upon the history of seeing how people believed things a certain way historically, and how that understanding is always moving and shifting. Based upon developmental studies, based upon psychology, based on epistemology, based on lots and lots of areas of research that shows the fuzziness of reality and knowing.

Or rather, you don't think objectivity is something to be considered for argument.
I don't think the claim of evidence is as much the trump card as most like to think it is. It's good to look at it and consider it. But its good to consider other points of view as well, because the nature of how we arrive at these truths has its place, but not as absolutes. And the models themselves can limit and blind us to possibilities as we try to fit everything within them. People mistake models of reality, or systems of knowledge, with some imaginary goal of absolute knowing. They are all best approached as tools of relative knowing. And those tools themselves should be held as limited as well, and therefore, only limited in results.

That makes absolutely no sense. Basically what you're doing is trying to say that it's impossible to have a coherent discussion on a particular view of God. So why do you even bother?
We can have a discussion about God, but to lay out sharply defined lines saying this is true and this is false, is a failure of discussion. We're not talking about God anymore, but your ideas or some beliefs. Ultimately God is apprehended spiritually, not comprehended mentally. There is a difference between apprehension and comprehension. There is a difference between mental concepts and spiritual knowledge.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member

Biblically speaking, Jesus is the Son of God, not Almighty God. (John 3:16-18) Jesus clearly showed that he was subordinate to Jehovah. He referred to Jehovah as “my God” and “the only true God.” (Matthew 27:46; John 17:3) Only a subordinate would use such expressions in referring to another. A worker who refers to his employer as “my boss” is clearly assuming an inferior position. The trinity doctrine obscures the identity of the true God Jehovah and the identity of his Son. Thus it obscures the truth, IMO, and leads people away from the true God.

captainbryce

aka[DoW];3539049 said:
Very well.. you dont like the water imagery, then how about this.... Look at an orange, many different sections, each one has the same scent and taste as all the other sections of the orange. You and I could both be enjoying the same orange even though we may be nowhere close to one another. The difference with God is that He can reform Himself. Does that one suit your taste better?:D
Actually it doesn't. But rather than sit here and break down all of the reasons why your orange example fails as well, it'd be best to just admit to each other that we have very different points of view on this topic, and agree to disagree. I do not believe that trinity can be explained rationally in ANY analogy. If it could, Jesus probably would have done (and much better). Suffice it to say, trinity is not a belief that is relevant to personal salvation in my opinion and it shouldn't define someone as being an adherent to Christianity.

captainbryce

But aside from that bit of science trivia, is it logical to try use logic to understanding something that is beyond the material realm, such as God?
Yes. :yes:

God, being the Ultimate of all that exists cannot be defined or limited to the boundaries of any manifestation.
Yes he can. He actually limits himself according to scripture. There are certain things that even God CAN'T do. And God can no more make 2+2=5 than he could make a triangle be a square at the same time. Those things are not logical.

From this side, it doesn't fit how we think of the world. It goes beyond that. It becomes paradoxical. God is paradoxical, and therefore a contradiction to our mind actual would be consistent, and therefore logical in that it should be expected.
I disagree. I don't believe that God is paradoxial. I believe that God is overwhelmingly logical, and that humans are overwhelmingly ignorant. Humans create paradoxes when they try to define God in illogical terms (ie: creating the trinity).

You are saying in here that God is a thing. That's your first problem.
I didn't say that God was a thing. That's a strawman argument.

Secondly you say that this "thing", God, is infinitely complex. God is neither complex nor simple.
That is not logical. Any concept known to man can be described as EITHER complex or simple (relative to any other concept).

God is not a thing with moving parts and whatnot. God Is. M theory is not a thing with moving parts either, but it is still "complex" relative to string theory.

Of course the Trinity doctrine is contradictory. All definitions of God become that. God is paradoxical. Everyone should stop trying to fit God into their minds. The second they attempt to do that, it's not God anymore.
Once again, I disagree with you. God can be defined (and is defined) in a nonparadoxial way. God = a supreme being! How is that paradoxial?

captainbryce

Biblically speaking, Jesus is the Son of God, not Almighty God. (John 3:16-18) Jesus clearly showed that he was subordinate to Jehovah. He referred to Jehovah as “my God” and “the only true God.” (Matthew 27:46; John 17:3) Only a subordinate would use such expressions in referring to another. A worker who refers to his employer as “my boss” is clearly assuming an inferior position. The trinity doctrine obscures the identity of the true God Jehovah and the identity of his Son. Thus it obscures the truth, IMO, and leads people away from the true God.

Well put.