• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Firelight

Inactive member
My problem is why do Mormons call and advertise themselves as Christians - why is there even a need to do that? They are Mormons not Christians both faiths have different beliefs. If you didn't try to portray yourself as a Christian I would respect you. Mormon beliefs are not Christian beliefs.

Who are you to tell anyone they are not a Christian? Do you place yourself above God? God will decide who has the heart of a Christian, not you! A person will also decide for themselves whether or not they believe in Christ.

Can you name two Christian churches that have exactly the same beliefs? Why are there so many different Christian churches, all with varying beliefs?

You are saying to “Jane Doe,” “If you didn’t try to portray yourself as a Christian I would respect you.” That is something Satan would say. It’s like saying, “You need to please ME, not God.“ Why would “Jane Doe” want or need your respect?

Who are you to tell anyone they are not a Christian? Do you place yourself above God? God will decide who has the heart of a Christian, not you! A person will also decide for themselves whether or not they believe in Christ.

Can you name two Christian churches that have exactly the same beliefs? Why are there so many different Christian churches, all with varying beliefs?

You are saying to “Jane Doe,” “If you didn’t try to portray yourself as a Christian I would respect you.” That is something Satan would say. It’s like saying, “You need to please ME, not God.“ Why would “Jane Doe” want or need your respect?

Study the Mormon Faith it is not Christian

Does Christianity teach all can become like God? Mormonism does.

God live on a planet with a new family in Mormonism the star is called kolob - Satan is Jesus brother all thing that have nothing to do with the Christian faith - they are attempting to revise their theology over the years to align with Christianity Jane Doe is not a Christian her beliefs are different she is a Mormon who's theology is completely different.

I guess it close enough for you to call Mormonism the Christian faith.

Last edited:

Jane.Doe

Angels are created beings (Psalm 148:2, 5; Col. 1:16). They are non-human spirit beings (Heb. 1:14) and do not naturally possess flesh and bones. They cannot die (Luke 20:36), cannot be numbered (Heb. 12:22), are normally invisible but can manifest themselves to us (Num. 22:22-31). They have no gender (Matt. 22:30) and they do the will of God (Psalm 103:20). Angels guide believers (Gen. 24:7, 40), protect them (Psalm 34:7), and comfort them (Acts 27:24). There are also elect angels (1 Tim. 5:21). They were created without gender (because that is a biological function) but occasionally appear as males in Scripture (Genesis 19:12-13). There are also different kinds of angels: seraphim (Isaiah 6:3), cherubim (Ezekiel 41:18; Genesis 3:24; 1 Samuel 4:4), archangels (1 Thessalonians 4:16; Jude 9), rulers and powers (Ephesians 6:12), and fallen angels (Revelation 12:3-4).

Angels perform different functions as revealed in the Scriptures such as announce the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:20-21), deliver the law (Acts 7:53; Hebrews 2:2), gather the elect (Mark 13:27), gather the wicked at the end of the age (Matthew 13:39-41), guard the tree of life (Genesis 3:24), minister to people (Genesis 16:7-10), and return with Christ at his second coming (Matthew 25:31; Mark 8:38).

Some angels are good (Gen. 28:12; Psalm 91:11), and some are evil (2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6). The only angels mentioned by name are Gabriel (Dan. 8:16; 9:21), Michael (Dan. 10:13, 21; 12:1), and Lucifer (Luke 10:18). Michael is always mentioned in the context of battle (Dan. 10:13) and Gabriel as a messenger (Luke 1:26). Of course, Lucifer, who became Satan, is the one who opposes God.

God created for the purpose of serving and carrying out his will. The fallen angels rebelled and became evil angels. Satan is such an angel (Isaiah 14:12-16; Ezekiel 28:12-15). The first mention of an angel is in Gen. 16:7 where it is referred to an angel of the Lord: “Now the angel of the Lord found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, by the spring on the way to Shur.,” (Genesis 16:7). In the New Testament, the Greek word is ἄγγελος, angolos and it occurs 177 times.

This is what Christians believe. Satan will also return in human form as the antichrist and a leader. So yes he does get to be human at some point.
Does Michael have a different Father than you? No: there is only one Father in Heaven. He is your Father, my Father, Christ’s Father, Micheal’s Father, and was indeed Lucifer’s Father.

Now can you acknowledge that basic fact so we can actually move on to something meaningful? Like a person’s relationship with Christ.

Last edited:

Jane.Doe

Indeed.
Peter Stanley wants me and others to deny Christ. Do we need a crow somewhere to caw?

Historic Christianity:The one God is a Spirit who is the personal, eternal, infinite Creator of all that exists. He is the only God and necessary for all other things to exist. He exists eternally as a Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (see Deut. 6:4; Isa. 43:10; 44:6-8; Matt. 28:19; John 4:24; 17:3)

Mormonism : God (Heavenly Father) is an exalted man with a physical body of flesh and bone. LDS founder Joseph Smith said, “If the veil were rent today, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by his power, was to make himself visible-I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345). The trinity is denied with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost seen as three separate entities. “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us” (Doctrine and Covenants [D&C] 130:22).

Historical Christianity: Jesus Christ was the virgin born God incarnate who existed in all time with the Father and Holy Spirit in the eternal Trinity. As a man He possessed two natures -human and divine. He lived a sinless life and willingly died on the cross as a sacrifice for the sin of all humanity. (see John 1:1-18; 8:56-59; Phil. 2:6-11; Col. 1:13-22; Heb.1:3; 13:8)

Mormonism : Jesus was the spiritual “first born” Son of God in the preexistence. “Every person who was ever born on earth was our spirit brother or sister in heaven. The first spirit born to our heavenly parents was Jesus Christ, so he is literally our elder brother” (Gospel Principles [GP], p. 11).”And now, verily I say unto you, I was in the beginning with the Father, and am the Firstborn” (D&C 93:21). He is also the “only begotten” physical offspring of God by procreation on earth. “Jesus is the only person on earth to be born of a mortal mother and an immortal father. That is why he is called the Only Begotten Son” (GP, p. 64). His atonement (death and resurrection) provides immortality for all people regardless of their faith. “Christ thus overcame physical death. Because of his atonement, everyone born on this earth will be resurrected . . . This condition is called immortality. All people who ever lived will be resurrected, ‘both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous’ (The Book of Mormon [BOM], Alma 11:44)” (GP, p. 74). (See GP, pp. 11, 17-19, 61-77.)

Historical Christianity: The Bible (Old and New Testaments) is the unique, revealed, and inspired Word of God. It is the sole authority for faith and practice for Christians. (see 2 Tim. 3:15-17; 2 Pet. 1:19-21)
Mormonism:Recognizes the LDS Four Standard Works as authoritative. These include the Bible “as far as it is translated correctly” (Articles of Faith 1:8). It also includes The Book of Mormon (BOM) which Joseph Smith declared is “the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 194).

The church also regards The Doctrine and Covenants (D&C) as Scripture. It “is a collection of modern revelations . . . regarding The Church of Jesus Christ as it has been restored in these last days” (GP, p. 54).

The Pearl of the Great Price (PGP) is the fourth book believed to be inspired.
“It clarifies doctrines and teachings that were lost from the Bible and gives added information concerning the creation of the earth” (GP, p. 54).

The church’s president is regarded as “a seer, a revelator, a translator, and a prophet” (D&C 107:91-92).

I can gone further if you like

By a technicality some will can Mormonism Christianity for being followers of Christ but as I am pointing out the theology is completely different.

Jane.Doe

Historic Christianity:The one God is a Spirit who is the personal, eternal, infinite Creator of all that exists. He is the only God and necessary for all other things to exist. He exists eternally as a Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (see Deut. 6:4; Isa. 43:10; 44:6-8; Matt. 28:19; John 4:24; 17:3)

Mormonism : God (Heavenly Father) is an exalted man with a physical body of flesh and bone. LDS founder Joseph Smith said, “If the veil were rent today, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by his power, was to make himself visible-I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345). The trinity is denied with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost seen as three separate entities. “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us” (Doctrine and Covenants [D&C] 130:22).

Historical Christianity: Jesus Christ was the virgin born God incarnate who existed in all time with the Father and Holy Spirit in the eternal Trinity. As a man He possessed two natures -human and divine. He lived a sinless life and willingly died on the cross as a sacrifice for the sin of all humanity. (see John 1:1-18; 8:56-59; Phil. 2:6-11; Col. 1:13-22; Heb.1:3; 13:8)

Mormonism : Jesus was the spiritual “first born” Son of God in the preexistence. “Every person who was ever born on earth was our spirit brother or sister in heaven. The first spirit born to our heavenly parents was Jesus Christ, so he is literally our elder brother” (Gospel Principles [GP], p. 11).”And now, verily I say unto you, I was in the beginning with the Father, and am the Firstborn” (D&C 93:21). He is also the “only begotten” physical offspring of God by procreation on earth. “Jesus is the only person on earth to be born of a mortal mother and an immortal father. That is why he is called the Only Begotten Son” (GP, p. 64). His atonement (death and resurrection) provides immortality for all people regardless of their faith. “Christ thus overcame physical death. Because of his atonement, everyone born on this earth will be resurrected . . . This condition is called immortality. All people who ever lived will be resurrected, ‘both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous’ (The Book of Mormon [BOM], Alma 11:44)” (GP, p. 74). (See GP, pp. 11, 17-19, 61-77.)

Historical Christianity: The Bible (Old and New Testaments) is the unique, revealed, and inspired Word of God. It is the sole authority for faith and practice for Christians. (see 2 Tim. 3:15-17; 2 Pet. 1:19-21)
Mormonism:Recognizes the LDS Four Standard Works as authoritative. These include the Bible “as far as it is translated correctly” (Articles of Faith 1:8). It also includes The Book of Mormon (BOM) which Joseph Smith declared is “the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 194).

The church also regards The Doctrine and Covenants (D&C) as Scripture. It “is a collection of modern revelations . . . regarding The Church of Jesus Christ as it has been restored in these last days” (GP, p. 54).

The Pearl of the Great Price (PGP) is the fourth book believed to be inspired.
“It clarifies doctrines and teachings that were lost from the Bible and gives added information concerning the creation of the earth” (GP, p. 54).

The church’s president is regarded as “a seer, a revelator, a translator, and a prophet” (D&C 107:91-92).

By a technicality some will can Mormonism Christianity for being followers of Christ but as I am pointing out the theology is completely different.
You literally just copy/pasted that from an anti site (Comparison Chart - Mormonism and Christianity - Apologetics). Many other of your posts are also copy-paste.

Why should I respond to thoughts that aren't even your own?

How about instead: let's talk about a person's relationship with Christ?

Firelight

Inactive member
Study the Mormon Faith it is not Christian

Does Christianity teach all can become like God? Mormonism does.

God live on a planet with a new family in Mormonism the star is called kolob - Satan is Jesus brother all thing that have nothing to do with the Christian faith - they are attempting to revise their theology over the years to align with Christianity Jane Doe is not a Christian her beliefs are different she is a Mormon who's theology is completely different.

I guess it close enough for you to call Mormonism the Christian faith.

A Christian is someone who believes in Christ as Savior. Everything else varies amongst the Christian religions.

Jesus taught many things and gave us commandments. In Matthew 5:48, Jesus said, “be ye therefore perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect.”

Why did Jesus give us Commandments? What does this scripture in Matthew tell us? Sounds like Jesus is telling us to become like our Father in Heaven, who is God. Jesus tells us to become like God. Who else do you think Christians are supposed to become like if it isn’t God?

Firelight

Inactive member

Mormonism : God (Heavenly Father) is an exalted man with a physical body of flesh and bone. The trinity is denied with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost seen as three separate entities. “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us” (Doctrine and Covenants [D&C] 130:22).

Mormonism:Recognizes the LDS Four Standard Works as authoritative. These include the Bible “as far as it is translated correctly” (Articles of Faith 1:8)

Here’s a definition of Trinity:
Trinity [N]
a word not found in Scripture, but used to express the doctrine of the unity of God as subsisting in three distinct Persons. The propositions involved in the doctrine are these: 1. That God is one, and that there is but one God ( Deuteronomy 6:4 ; 1 Kings 8:60 ; Isaiah 44:6 ; Mark 12:29 Mark 12:32 ; John 10:30 ). 2 . That the Father is a distinct divine Person, distinct from the Son and the Holy Spirit. 3. That Jesus Christ was truly God, and yet was a Person distinct from the Father and the Holy Spirit. 4. That the Holy Spirit is also a distinct divine Person.

I see that Mormonism believes in all three members of the Trinity. They believe in the death and resurrection of Christ. They believe in the Bible. All this is Christian.

You have presented nothing that excludes them from being Christians. Christians believe that Christ is the Savior. Do Mormons deny that Christ is the Savior?

So I can rewrite the Christian faith like Joseph Smith to how I would like it to be and as long as I have Jesus as the savior its Christianity the rest doesn't matter

Jane.Doe

So I can rewrite the Christian faith like Joseph Smith to how I would like it to be and as long as I have Jesus as the savior its Christianity the rest doesn't matter
The singular most important thing is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. That is for salvation. That’s what makes a person a Christian.

Other things can be important, but less than a person’s relationship with Christ.

Firelight

Inactive member

Yes. You may start your own Christian church or any other church if you please. How do you think there got to be so many different Christian churches? It’s because people disagreed with teachings in a larger Christian church and branched off.

Technically no matter how far I veer off Mormonism or Christianity if I rewrite the faiths as long as Jesus is the Savior I can call it Christianity

Jane.Doe

Technically no matter how far I veer off Mormonism or Christianity if I rewrite the faiths as long as Jesus is the Savior I can call it Christianity
Does a person acknowledge Jesus Christ as thier Lord and Savior, then they are a Christian.

That doesn’t mean thier actions aren’t sinful. And yes many Christians have very unbiblical beliefs. That doesn’t mean that they aren’t Christians: it means that they still need to learn and grow. We all continually need our Savior.

Firelight

Inactive member

Yes. Why not? Other people who branch off from a larger church didn’t take the exact same written doctrine into their own church, they wrote their own. They didn’t even take the same Bible. Some changed parts of the Bible. Do you know how many different Bibles there are in English? Do you know how many different bibles were available to translate into English?

My whole point why can a Mormon just call themselves Mormons its the reason why they are called Mormons because of their belief is different but I guess it would be alright if it was to taint Christianity by some of their beliefs rubbing off into Christianity as long as Jesus is the Savior.

Jane.Doe

My whole point why can a Mormon just call themselves Mormons its the reason why they are called Mormons because of their belief is different but I guess it would be alright if it was to taint Christianity by some of their beliefs rubbing off into Christianity as long as Jesus is the Savior.
Why do you so down play and dismiss a person’s relationship with Christ?

Firelight

Inactive member

They don’t call themselves “Mormons.” The name of their church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Firelight

Inactive member
@Peter Stanley

Why are you choosing to bully a person and tear down their religion? Do you work for the devil? Go worry about your own soul rather than a church you don’t believe in.

Last edited:
What I am seeing here is theology is irrelevant the origin of the faith can be different as long as the faith has Jesus as the Savior and it can be called Christianity