• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians in the military

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Totally different subjects. Going out without money has nothing to do with a person about to run you through with a sword. Besides, it's commonly argued that he was talking about a one time event, in which the Disciples were miraculously blessed with everything they'd need as they went out preaching. So by this logic, you'd have to assume that Jesus would be saying that they never would actually be run through or their families assaulted. Simply doesn't work, comparing apples to carrots.

Now with that said, it's quite obvious that Jesus was referring to petty slaps, insults, and lawsuits, not danger of being violently assaulted/killed. Besides, the context is "You have heard it said eye for an eye", it can also be said he was talking about not taking revenge on petty issues. But the idea that he was saying to just sit there and get assaulted/let your family get assaulted defies any logic, the ancients weren't THAT stupid.

How is it a matter of stupidity? Why wouldn't someone who believes that death is merely the transition from this life to an afterlife in Paradise think that death was no bigger a deal than being harrassed or insulted?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
True Christians dont live by OT practice. They follow Jesus' teachings and commands.

Jesus is Christ. That's why Jesus' followers are called "Christians".
No True Scotsman fallacy. Some Christians do live by OT practice. They're called "Christian Jews." And they are true Christians.

sojourner

Everyone,

The title of this thread is about "Christians in the military".

This is not about the military itself. Christians have no right to interfere with political matters. that is another reason for Christians should not get involve with the military.

Jesus says that His followers are not of this world. His followers have no business butting into the political issues. The military is political matter.
1. Jesus said, "Follow me."
2. Jesus certainly butted into political issues.
3. When we follow Jesus, we butt into political issues, as well. It's inevitable.

sojourner

But you insist on to follow OT law.
No. I don't.
Nope, He did not. give us reference.
Jesus was crucified by the State on a capital offense. I'd say that pretty much entails "butting into politics." He refuted the authority of the Sanhedrin. That's "butting into politics." His escapade riding into Jerusalem and being received as the one "who comes in the name of the Lord" also entails "butting into politics."

sojourner

He did not force them to kill Him.
Doesn't matter. Crucifixion is a capital punishment for a capital crime. In this case, sedition, which is political in nature. The fact is, Jesus engaged the political system.

Shermana

Heretic
Not all of them. He upgraded OT practice.

No, he followed all of it, and what he upgraded was Pharisee misunderstanding of the original Law and explained what he considered the original interpretation and all the in betweens that the later generations forgot about. When he said things like "You have heard it is said" he was implying that they had developed incorrect understandings of what was originally conveyed.

There are numerous misconceptions of what Jesus meant regarding things like the Sabbath and dietary Laws, which he didn't break or teach to break but explained the way that various things were being misunderstood, like the idea of helping a donkey out of a ditch on Sabbath and how one could save somebody's life on it.

If Jesus violated the OT, he'd have a legitimate reason to get his skull crushed by rocks.

Shermana

Heretic
How is it a matter of stupidity? Why wouldn't someone who believes that death is merely the transition from this life to an afterlife in Paradise think that death was no bigger a deal than being harrassed or insulted?

Well for starters, it's not just death to worry about. You could also be brutally maimed or worst of all, sexually assaulted. Besides the fact that this interpretation of Jesus teaching to not "resist" (which means "oppose" but not in the physical sense) does not make sense in the meaning of the language, context of the passage, and is contradicted by Jesus teaching others to obey the full Mosaic Law, take up swords as they travel (that its better to sell your shirt than not have a weapon), it also implies you are to surrender your children and family to suffer violence when the time comes as well.

So at the first step, it fails the Stupidity test in that it leaves your family to be endangered. At the second step, it means that one person could slaughter/maim/assault an entire Christian congregation and prevent the message from being spread. At the third step, it violates what Jesus says elsewhere. At the fourth step, it's simply the incorrect understanding of the word translated as "resist" and the context of the passage of 'eye for an eye".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Doesn't matter. Crucifixion is a capital punishment for a capital crime. In this case, sedition, which is political in nature. The fact is, Jesus engaged the political system.

... although always as an outsider. When I read the Gospels, the Jesus I see depicted is one who promotes an extreme point of view, and one who expects his ideas to be on the fringe.

I think it would be fair to say that Jesus rejected being part of the establishment. I think it's also fair to say that a nation's army is an expression of the establishment.

I could kinda see it as in keeping with Jesus' teachings (if we ignore Matthew 6, that is) to be part of some group of rebels fighting for a cause, but I can't see the Jesus of the Gospels thinking that it's a good idea to align yourself with some human government and to be part of one of the more extreme tools that the establishment has to enforce its will.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well for starters, it's not just death to worry about. You could also be brutally maimed or worst of all, sexually assaulted.
And by enduring this, you would earn reward in Heaven, no?

Besides the fact that this interpretation of Jesus teaching to not "resist" (which means "oppose" but not in the physical sense) does not make sense in the meaning of the language, context of the passage, and is contradicted by Jesus teaching others to obey the full Mosaic Law, take up swords as they travel (that its better to sell your shirt than not have a weapon), it also implies you are to surrender your children and family to suffer violence when the time comes as well.

So at the first step, it fails the Stupidity test in that it leaves your family to be endangered. At the second step, it means that one person could slaughter/maim/assault an entire Christian congregation and prevent the message from being spread.
They could try, but there's nothing in what Jesus says that prevents a person from trying to stay below the radar. He says not to resist an evil person, but he doesn't forbid avoiding evil people.

At the third step, it violates what Jesus says elsewhere.
Where?

At the fourth step, it's simply the incorrect understanding of the word translated as "resist" and the context of the passage of 'eye for an eye".
Do you think that the actions of Christians during, say, the persecutions by Diocletian would shed light on how the early Christians understood what they were supposed to do in the face of violence? How did they understand the term?

Christians had a very hard time in their early years. When we look at history, which do we see?

- lots and lots of Christians being physically harmed and killed, or
- Christians rising up in rebellion against their oppressors

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Just remember, this topic is about "christians" in the military.

No ****, so answer my question, I was drafted, do you believe I am going to hell?

My question could not be more on topic. If you keep ignoring questions you should stay out of debate threads. Your not posting in good faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

he was accused falsely of such charges. They brought false witnesses against him.

He had no plans to engage the political system nor did he ever attempt to.