• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians in the military

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Not everyone is the battle field, my husband wan medical supplier and did not have to fight.

But I tell you, they are all trained to kill just in case.

Was he a Conscientious Objector? That is what some people did- Mohammed Ali (the boxer) did that during the Vietnam conflict. The military is for defense, not aggression (that's the way it is explained). And not all soldiers are trained to kill indiscriminately, like killing machines. You appear to have a narrow view of the military and what it's purpose is. And as I explained, it isn't only about war and killing- it is about security.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have never heard anyone say the military is right for every Christian. Seeing that there does not exist a direct order to refrain from the military and there are a few scriptures that seem to allow it, then it would be wrong to say people aren't real christians if they choose to join the military. It is between the person and YHVH. I believe it is sometimes wrong for some people to join. It is going beyond the things written to judge a Christian in the military.

A scenario, even though I believe the original poster is refusing to listen. What of the person who joins the military and then becomes Christian? Would it not be fine for that person to find other Christians there?

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have never heard anyone say the military is right for every Christian. Seeing that there does not exist a direct order to refrain from the military and there are a few scriptures that seem to allow it, then it would be wrong to say a person isn't a real christian if they choose to join the military. It is between the person and YHVH. I believe it is sometimes wrong for some people to join. It is going beyond the things written to judge a Christian in the military.

A scenario, even though I believe the original poster is refusing to listen. What of the person who joins the military and then becomes Christian? Would it not be fine for that person to find other Christians there?

I agree. If someone feels as though they shouldn't join the military, then they shouldn't. That doesn't mean we can dictate to others what they can do and can't or say that a person is not a true Christian for serving his/her country. That is condemnation- Jesus said not to condemn others.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You run into a problem, though, when there are conscription laws. What's a Christian supposed to do during the draft?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You run into a problem, though, when there are conscription laws. What's a Christian supposed to do during the draft?

If you are drafted and it is possible to serve in the army with love out of a pure heart (trusting in God that HE will not allow a place for you to shoot another dead-it is actually possible for God to lead you even in the army), a good conscience, and sincere faith, then do.

If you believe it is not possible, then object, and face the consequences.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Jesus said give unto Ceasar what is his. I went, I fought and I prayed to God for forgivness for what I had done.

By the grace of God go I.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Thanks people. :eek:

The truth is, I was too scared to run to Canada, don't think for a minute I did not consider it.

Meshak

Was he a Conscientious Objector?

No,he was not. He was in the air force and they get to fight too much.

And not all soldiers are trained to kill indiscriminately, like killing machines. You appear to have a narrow view of the military and what it's purpose is. And as I explained, it isn't only about war and killing- it is about security.

My husband is retired military, he knows how the military works, and he explained it to me. He told me all of them are trained to kill except conscientious objectors.

they are completely different from police, police try to capture criminals, at war you kill.

Meshak

I agree. If someone feels as though they shouldn't join the military, then they shouldn't. That doesn't mean we can dictate to others what they can do and can't or say that a person is not a true Christian for serving his/her country. That is condemnation- Jesus said not to condemn others.

I am only telling the world that was and the military is not of Jesus. Jesus deos not force you to be faithful to Him. But faithful ones will not kill their enemies.

Meshak

Readers,

I am evangelizing to Okinawan people. There are tons of American churches and some okinawan churches there but they dont know how to reach out to local people. So I am compelled to spread Jesus to them. It is just too bad that I have to go there from US to reach out to them because Christians cannot do it.

Anyway, I get question from local people that why Christians use God to fight. So I have to explain to them that the military is not Jesus' idea.

You see, this is how pro-military Christians are misrepresenting Jesus. It is so wrong.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am only telling the world that was and the military is not of Jesus. Jesus deos not force you to be faithful to Him. But faithful ones will not kill their enemies.

No one is claiming the military "is of Jesus". Nothing commercial is of Jesus. Many commercial products cause death. Might a Christian work in a pharmacological company? Might she work in a Twinkies factory? Is sudden death anti-christian, but long slow death pro-christian? Sometimes birth causes death. Should a Christian woman refuse to get pregnant she might die, or the baby might die? In a perfect world there is no war machine. So in a perfect world a Christian CAN'T join the military because there isn't a military. Your point of view seems to be that because Christians join, they are the CAUSE of war.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hebrews 11:32-40
New International Version (NIV)
32 And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets, 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35 Women received back their dead, raised to life again. There were others who were tortured, refusing to be released so that they might gain an even better resurrection. 36 Some faced jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were put to death by stoning;[a] they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38 the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in caves and in holes in the ground.

39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Are you preaching a new Good News Meshak? Is the writer of these words wrong?