1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians in the military

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Meshak, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Reverend Rick

Reverend Rick Frubal Whore
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,198
    Perhaps you should take your own advice.

2. Meshak

Meshak Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    How am I misrepresenting Jesus?

3. Reverend Rick

Reverend Rick Frubal Whore
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,198
    When you say you follow him and blantantly judge others.

Are Christians suppose to judge one another?

You cherry pick verses while completely ignoring others that go against what you believe.

You have to follow everything he said not just the parts you agree with.

4. Meshak

Meshak Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    thats what Jesus says. Christianity is all about following Him.

His followers has responsibility to defend His teachings.

Pro-military is disregarding His command of "love your enemy" clearly.

Jesus says to obey His commandments faithfully, meaning everything He teaches.

This is about pro-military Christians. Please stay on the topic.

thanks.

5. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +4,085
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Not true. His apostles have the responsibility to defend his teachings.
    Fine. Sell your computer, give the proceeds to the poor, and then come talk to me.

6. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,328
    So your misrepresentations of Jesus and His words is what then?

7. Mestemia

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,328
    And yet he said not a single thing about the military...

By what authority do you feel you are qualified to speak for Jesus?

8. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,364
    Jesus never condemned those in the military nor did He tell anyone they must discontinue being soldiers in order to follow Him. On the other hand He did praise the centurion soldier for his great faith.

When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, “Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel! "Matthew 8:5-10

For a long time this was a confusing issue for me, Until I earnestly prayed seeking God's wisdom and realized that the answer was in rightly dividing the word of God...

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

I believe this means that the scriptures must be read, understood, and applied properly. This would apply to this issue or any other issue of life. I also believe the scriptures themselves along with the guidance of the Holy Spirit reveal the “proper” way to apply the scriptures to any given situation.

When Christians (and others) went over to Germany in WW2 to fight against Hitler on behalf of the Jews I am sure this was acceptable to Jesus. If a parent kills or harms a home invader who is about to hurt their child or someone comes to the defense of an elderly person being mugged on the street, I am also sure this is in line with Jesus' teaching of love your neighbor as yourself.

It is wrong according to the scriptures to fight, harm, or kill someone for your own selfish lusts, but it is not wrong to come to the defense of the lives of others. This can include military service, at least when the government is following its God ordained purpose to protect life.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Meshak

Meshak Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    1)Do you know the purposed of the military?

2)do you know massive destruction and killing are greatly involved?

3)Do you really thing that is of Jesus?

4)do you know that Jesus commands us to love your enemy?

5)Do you think you can love your enemy by killing them and destroying their country?

10. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +4,085
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    1. To protect life, liberty, property, family, etc.
    2. How much massive destruction and killing would be involved if we didn't fight back?
    3. Of course not. But neither is simply letting your friends and family get killed or hurt.
    4. Yes. Jesus also commands us to love our neighbor.
    5. Do you think you can love your neighbor by allowing them to be killed and having their country destroyed?

11. savagewind

savagewind Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Religion:
    An X-Jehovah's Witness
    I do not make it my habit to comment about opinion but I have been invited to comment and I have a few things to say that have not been addressed yet I think.

If Yehoshua was so against the military as Meshak insists, he would never have called John the Baptist I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; Matthew 11:11.... as John did not teach the military was to be avoided. Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?" He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely--be content with your pay." Luke 3:14

Did you ever see Mash the TV show? Can you imagine if there were no Christ-like people in the military? Would all military organizations resemble Germany's SS? I think so.

It is never OK to interpret Yehoshua's words to suit an agenda. It is impossible for anyone to say they know what he is thinking. Please.

I hate blanket rules. Are they not what Yehoshua condemned? If a person's conscious allows for the military God speed to her. I will sleep better knowing there are people who love God in the military.

Another thought. Yehoshua teaches be no part of the world. What does it mean? The world is passing away. So to be part of the world means to cling to that which is passing away. Conscientious people do not join the military to kill people or to destroy nations. They do it to assist peace (something not passing away) to be loyal (something not passing away) for justice (ditto), to learn self control and other things. They NEVER do it to kill their neighbor. Is God's arm too short to save? No. It is not.

#231 savagewind, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  12. Meshak

Meshak Active Member

Ratings:
    +12

John the baptist did not know Jesus' love fully.

that is fantasy program for easy for the American to see themselves as so wonderful.

I guess I have to bring Jesus' sermon of "love your enemy" and you still insist on killing your enemy harmonize with "loving your enemy".

If they know Jesus' word of "love your enemy" they will not be in the military, IMO. I am talking about Christians.

13. Meshak

Meshak Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I am bumping this up for you savage.

14. Meshak

Meshak Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Savage, please read the OP to see if killing your enemy harmonize with it.

15. savagewind

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Religion:
    An X-Jehovah's Witness
    Do you know what a blanket rule is? It is a rule that applies to everyone all the time.
    I agree that to know love "fully" is to become holy. Holiness is something to cultivate. It is not cultivated by obeying someone else's rules. Your critics are right when they say you have no right to interpret The Lord's words for someone else.

There is no direct order to refrain from the military. By the way, most people, I think, HATE the military but they serve anyway. Why? Why do they serve?

16. savagewind

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Religion:
    An X-Jehovah's Witness
    Everyone has asked please which scripture are you referring to that says "do not kill your enemy?" It is you who are twisting The Word that says "love your enemy" to mean "do not kill your enemy". If I was a madman on a rampage of killing it would be a kindness to stop me.

17. Mestemia

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,328
    I am bumping this up for you Meshak:

18. ChristineES

ChristineES Tiggerism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Religion:
    Disciple of Yeshua.
    I think people are missing the point that the whole military isn't violent. I served in the Navy and never did any violence whatsoever. I didn't even work with weapons. I fixed communication devices. The only gun I ever fired was at a target. I issued tools, fixed electrical equipment and voltage regulators and outdated telephones and things of that nature. The military is also about protection.

19. savagewind

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Religion:
    An X-Jehovah's Witness
    It is military personnel that risk life and limb to clean up mine fields so that children might play there again safely.

#239 savagewind, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  20. averageJOE

averageJOE zombie

Ratings:
    +577
    It has happened. When god himself used a military to have babies killed! (According to the story anyways)