• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*Christians* A choice to be made

Which of these two doctrines is most essential to the faith?

• Bibliology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soteriology

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

atpollard

Which of these two doctrines is most essential to the faith? Bibliology or Soteriology?
Just in case anyone else needed the exact definitions (I did) ...

Soteriology: theology dealing with salvation especially as effected by Jesus Christ
Bibliology: the study of the theological doctrine of the Bible

I voted "Soteriology" ... but just to clarify, it is not your personal belief on salvation that matters. Soteriology is the key to faith because both Faith and Salvation originate with God. So I believe that God gives you the Faith that allows you to be Saved.
YMMV
(in which case, take it up with God) ;)

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Soteriology. You can have different Bibles, yet have the same Faith. This was the reality for the first four hundred years of Christianity--different churches all had different books of the New Testament, and almost none of them even had the four Gospels, let alone all the epistles. The Ethiopian Orthodox to this day have a Bible with far more books than anyone else in Christianity (case in point, they have a 35-book New Testament), yet they share the same faith with the rest of the Oriental Orthodox churches who have the standard 27-book New Testament.

David1967

Premium Member
I have to agree. I grow in my faith with bible study (among other things), for example.

Yes, without study ( Bibliology ) we have little more than a faith based on feelings. And I must admit that my feelings tend to change once in a while, so I definitely don't want to rely on them as far as faith goes. I think it good to incorporate a little common sense into the mix. Otherwise we may end up sending our pay checks to some rhinestone wearing televangelist.:confused::rolleyes:

Deidre

Just in case anyone else needed the exact definitions (I did) ...

Soteriology: theology dealing with salvation especially as effected by Jesus Christ
Bibliology: the study of the theological doctrine of the Bible

I voted "Soteriology" ... but just to clarify, it is not your personal belief on salvation that matters. Soteriology is the key to faith because both Faith and Salvation originate with God. So I believe that God gives you the Faith that allows you to be Saved.
YMMV
(in which case, take it up with God) ;)

I somewhat agree with this, but God gives us the free will to have faith...or to not. He doesn't really give us faith...we still have to choose.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I somewhat agree with this, but God gives us the free will to have faith...or to not. He doesn't really give us faith...we still have to choose.

Yes, we all have the free-will choice to act responsibly toward God or Not - Deuteronomy 30:19, and we can pray for more faith, or for one's faith to be increased - Luke 17:5