• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity vs Islam

bamarcci

bamarcci
Anyone care to discuss Islam's fundamental opposition to Christianity? Just to begin, I believe the historical controversy between the two religions is centered theologically on the concept of God. I would most like to hear from someone of the Islamic faith.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
A major differences is the nature of God and how Muslims (incorrectly) view the Trinity.

A majority of Muslims believe that Christians believe in the Trinity as three different gods besides God: Father, Son and Mary. This is, as you know, incorrect, all Trinitarian Christians without a shadow of a doubt will say that their God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit - and they are one. Muslims cannot get their head around such a concept such as the Trinity.

Nessa

Color Me Happy
Anyone care to discuss Islam's fundamental opposition to Christianity?

Couldn't I change your sentence to , " Anyone care to discuss Christianities fundamental opposition to ( insert a number of religions here ) ? And still be asking the same question?

No*s

Captain Obvious
I think you are starting something too big for a thread for two reasons:

1). Most Muslims and Christians do not understand much about what the other believes or their terminology. When we use words, we will just talk past each other. If we can't talk very easily, we can't very well debate very easily.

2). There's going to be a lot in this category. It's too broad for anyone to discuss coherently. Someone would speak about perichoresis, the next would ask what he meant and go on about works-based salvation, while the next would insist that the real issue at heart is $INSERT_DOCTRINE.

This can't possibly work.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Anyone care to discuss Islam's fundamental opposition to Christianity? Just to begin, I believe the historical controversy between the two religions is centered theologically on the concept of God. I would most like to hear from someone of the Islamic faith.

The basis for all misinformation is the lies of Iblis (The Devil) which people mistake for the truth. Secondly there is the sin of pride which casues people to want to see their religion as better than other people's. There is one better of course but that is only understood by an objective comparison.

Secondly there is the sin of pride which casues people to want to see their religion as better than other people's. There is one better of course but that is only understood by an objective comparison.

I literally laughed out loud.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A major differences is the nature of God and how Muslims (incorrectly) view the Trinity.

A majority of Muslims believe that Christians believe in the Trinity as three different gods besides God: Father, Son and Mary. This is, as you know, incorrect, all Trinitarian Christians without a shadow of a doubt will say that their God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit - and they are one. Muslims cannot get their head around such a concept such as the Trinity.

Christians think of them as three different gods who would make one perfect God. If Christians themselves are confused about the concept of trinity then don't blame Muslims.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Christians think of them as three different gods who would make one perfect God. If Christians themselves are confused about the concept of trinity then don't blame Muslims.
Your answer is deceitful, to the extreme, TashaN. Surely you can do better than this drivel. In my short 53 years on the planet, I have yet to meet a Christian who claims that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spook are different gods. They are relative aspects of the same being. This is exactly the same as the 99 names of Allah, in that each name represents a different aspect of the "creator". I am sure you understand this though. :flirt:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Epic fail.

Christians only believe in one God, no Christian would say "three gods" making one God. This is a deceitful misrepresentation of what Christians believe.

Sui

It is true that Christians worship the One God. Yet there's the concept of the Trinity that divides God into three separate entities...I've seen that the word Triunity is sometimes preferred to Trinity. In any case, the confusion of this 3-in-1 concept is rampant even in Christianity itself. Although, no doubt it is difficult to have a concrete explanation for something that wasn't even attempted to be fully defined until over 300 years after the death of Jesus himself (pbuh).

As a Muslim (and former Christian), I just don't understand why something as simple as "God is One" has been turned into such a needlessly complex idea.

And Odion - This is a common misunderstanding. Muslims don't believe that Mary is part of the Trinity, nor is this stated in the Quran. It simply condemns trinitarianism, as well as the worship of Jesus and Mary...it never says that the Trinity consists of this, this, and this.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
It is true that Christians worship the One God. Yet there's the concept of the Trinity that divides God into three separate entities...I've seen that the word Triunity is sometimes preferred to Trinity. In any case, the confusion of this 3-in-1 concept is rampant even in Christianity itself. Although, no doubt it is difficult to have a concrete explanation for something that wasn't even attempted to be fully defined until over 300 years after the death of Jesus himself (pbuh).

As a Muslim (and former Christian), I just don't understand why something as simple as "God is One" has been turned into such a needlessly complex idea.

And Odion - This is a common misunderstanding. Muslims don't believe that Mary is part of the Trinity, nor is this stated in the Quran. It simply condemns trinitarianism, as well as the worship of Jesus and Mary...it never says that the Trinity consists of this, this, and this.

Why ever would you want to brand yourself a Muslim, can't people simply thank The Only God? instead of emmersing themselfs in cult culture.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
TashaN said:

You are gravely mistaken. The Father, Son and Holy Ghost in Christianity are more akin to modes or aspects than separate beings. Some view the Son as the humanistic form of God. Jesus is, then, the mode of God that bridges the gap between the temporal and the ethereal. The Holy Ghost is the mode of God that permeates all existence and infuses itself within the believers heart. The Father is the central node of the Godhead or the mind. The members of the Trinity are separate, yet connected. Think of the arms of a starfish. Together they make up one being, but cut apart, they are still quite functional as their own entities.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have been told numerous times in this forum that the trinity are three real gods who would make one perfect God, so don't blame me. I'm not making this up. But at the same time, others would claim they are just attributes of the same God, that's why i said even Christians themselves are confused about this concept because they don't have one universal concept of God unlike Muslims.

If they are really some attributes of God then why call it trinity? why to make up this concept which has absolutely no mention in the scriptures?

Why not to say we worship God, one God? is it that difficult to talk about one God once and for all?

I know why they had initiate the concept of the trinity, not one God--full stop--but i guess many of you know of it already and the circumstances involved in the birth of the concept of trinity.

The Trinity is a Christian doctrine, stating that God exists as three persons, or in the Greek hypostases, but is one being.[1][2] The persons are understood to exist as God the Father, God the Son (incarnate as Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit, each of them having the one identical essence or nature, not merely similar natures. Since the beginning of the third century[3] the doctrine of the Trinity has been stated as "that the one God exists in three Persons and one substance, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."[4] Trinitarianism, belief in the Trinity, is a mark of Oriental and Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism and all the mainstream traditions arising from the Protestant Reformation, such as Anglicanism, Lutheranism and Presbyterianism; and the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church describes the Trinity as "the central dogma of Christian theology".[4]

This doctrine is in contrast to Nontrinitarian positions which include Binitarianism (one deity/two persons), Unitarianism (one deity/one person), the Oneness belief held by certain Pentecostal groups, Modalism, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' view of the Godhead as three separate beings who are one in purpose rather than essence.

Trinity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So why not ALL Christians in the quote above have one universal meaning of God?

You got my point now?

If you asked any Muslim about God, the answer would be very simple and straight forward.

Ask him, who is God?

He will tell you ...

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

[1] Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;

[2] Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

[3] He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

[4] And there is none like unto Him. (Quran 112:1)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are gravely mistaken. The Father, Son and Holy Ghost in Christianity are more akin to modes or aspects than separate beings. Some view the Son as the humanistic form of God. Jesus is, then, the mode of God that bridges the gap between the temporal and the ethereal. The Holy Ghost is the mode of God that permeates all existence and infuses itself within the believers heart. The Father is the central node of the Godhead or the mind. The members of the Trinity are separate, yet connected. Think of the arms of a starfish. Together they make up one being, but cut apart, they are still quite functional as their own entities.

If they are the same person, not three different persons as the quote states in the link i provided above, then if one of them died, doesn't that mean the rest are dead too?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Your answer is deceitful, to the extreme, TashaN. Surely you can do better than this drivel. In my short 53 years on the planet, I have yet to meet a Christian who claims that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spook are different gods. They are relative aspects of the same being.
*cough* Mormons *cough*

Darkness said:
Oh dear no, that would be the heresy of modalism there my friend. ;)