• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity as a Philosophy

Bill O'Reilly Confronts Atheist Leader And His 'Merry Band Of Fascists' - YouTube

This is a video of Bill O'reilly discussing his "war on christmas" with the President of American Atheists and that's not really what I want to get in to with this thread. Obviously there are plenty of other threads that have covered the topic, over the years, of secularization of the Holiday Season. Particularly in the United States. What I'd like to discuss is O'reilly's assertion that "Christianity is not a religion, it's a philosophy." (1:00)

Do any other Christians feel this way about their faith, that it's a philosophy and not a religion. I've heard it argued that xianity is not a religion, rather a relationship with Jesus, but I've never heard it referred to as a "philosophy".

(just for the sake of discussion I'd like to include some definitions:
the definition of Philosophy [the one I believe O'reilly is trying to refer to] is:
"a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs."
While the definition of a Religion is: "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.") < all according to Dictionary.com

What, if this is true, would that mean for adherents? What would that mean for Non-Believers?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I think Christianity, like any other religion, can be approached in a philosophical rather than religious way, but I've never actually seen it done. I'd be interested to hear how this would take place. But personally, I don't see why it can't be a philosophy and not a religion.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Bill O'Reilly Confronts Atheist Leader And His 'Merry Band Of Fascists' - YouTube

This is a video of Bill O'reilly discussing his "war on christmas" with the President of American Atheists and that's not really what I want to get in to with this thread. Obviously there are plenty of other threads that have covered the topic, over the years, of secularization of the Holiday Season. Particularly in the United States. What I'd like to discuss is O'reilly's assertion that "Christianity is not a religion, it's a philosophy." (1:00)

Do any other Christians feel this way about their faith, that it's a philosophy and not a religion. I've heard it argued that xianity is not a religion, rather a relationship with Jesus, but I've never heard it referred to as a "philosophy".

the definition of Philosophy [the one I believe O'reilly is trying to refer to] is:
While the definition of a Religion is: "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.") < all according to Dictionary.com

What, if this is true, would that mean for adherents? What would that mean for Non-Believers?

its a very strange idea to think Christianity is merely a philosophy. Even the definition 'a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs' does not fit. Christianity is about the worship of God. It is a method of approaching and devoting ones life to the Creator through the teaching of Jesus.

I cannot see how it is a philosophy.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Interesting question. The term that comes to mind, one that's been thrown around in various places but I'm not sure who coined it is "cultural Christian". All the trappings of what Christianity should represent without the divinity or religion aspect to it.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
wouldn't the word philosophy then mean that literal belief in the "history" of the new and old testaments wouldn't be necessary?

Yeah, but we're seeing that already with liberal and progressive forms of Christianity. It's not too big a leap, to me, to make that next step, namely, getting rid of the supernaturalism and superstition in Christianity, to make it more of a philosophy than a religion.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I could see people thinking of Jesus as just a philosopher but then there would be something missing like his theology which is sorta central to the message as well. Though I'm not really sure Jesus meant his sayings to become a religion but more of a way to connect to the higher power and our fellow humans.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I see Christianity as both a religion and a philosophy. I think any religion can be called a philosophy.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
I could see people thinking of Jesus as just a philosopher but then there would be something missing like his theology which is sorta central to the message as well. Though I'm not really sure Jesus meant his sayings to become a religion but more of a way to connect to the higher power and our fellow humans.

Can you see people thinking of Paul as a philosopher?

Man of Faith

What I would like to do is compare Christianity to being a friend with someone. When two people are friends then they can be said to have a relationship with each other. Can one of the friends point to the other and say "you are religious because you are my friend"? That is the heart of Christianity, a relationship with God through Jesus, not a set of religious tasks, works, or rituals. Now it does get somewhat complicated when certain Christian sects add in unnecessary rituals.

Let me compare Christianity to Islam as an example. Islam has five major pillars that should be completed in order to please God. Then they are required to follow a set of rules, such as the rules of Shari law. Basically it is a works based religion, where Christianity is based on faith and a relationship. A person could get a personal relationship on their death bead, but you can’t perform enough religious works hoping that they will weigh more than your bad works when you are on your death bed.

RJ50

Christianity is a religion, no superior to any other. It can be a force for good when operated by moderate Christians. However it can also be an evil force in the hands of extreme fundamentalists.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Call it what your want....

But if you aren't doing anything in the world with either label, can you really even say that it exist within you beyond being a dusty old book in the house of your heart?

Concepts don't get far on their own,
Actions set them free and give concepts meaning.

You have the breath of Life in you,
give your Bible a little CPR.

:namaste

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the closest one can come to calling Christianity a philosophy and not a religion is Jesuism.

Jesuism (Jesusism or Jesuanism) is the philosophy or teachings of Jesus of Nazareth and adherence to those teachings.[1] Jesuism is distinct from and sometimes opposed to mainstream Christianity.[2] In particular, the term is often contrasted with the theology attributed to Paul of Tarsus and modern Church dogma.[3][4] Jesuism is not necessarily opposed to the Christian Bible or Church doctrine, but rather it does not affirm their authority over the teachings of Jesus. As a philosophy, Owen Flanagan characterized Jesusism as naturalistic and rationalist, rejecting the conflict between faith and science.[5] Though not specifically associated with Jesuism, the red letter Bibles are one method of studying the teachings of Jesus.

This is something I can live with.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

It is definitely a religion - they fit that definition - and they applied for such legal status so they don't have to pay taxes.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As Polyhedral said, "According to the definition posted, Christianity is both."

However, while I can go along with the posted definition of religion, the posted definition of philosophy
is so bad it almost qualifies as wacky. A far better definition would be more along the lines of
"Philosophy is an academic discipline that exercises reason and logic in an attempt to understand reality and answer fundamental questions about knowledge, life, morality and human nature."
source
So, while Christianity is both under the given definitions, one of them is so self serving and unconventional as to be meaningless.

JoStories

its a very strange idea to think Christianity is merely a philosophy. Even the definition 'a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs' does not fit. Christianity is about the worship of God. It is a method of approaching and devoting ones life to the Creator through the teaching of Jesus.

I cannot see how it is a philosophy.

Only if you, as the one approaching, is, and no offense meant by this, but only if one is a Bible idolater. If you are a literalist and being one is fine, but if you are, then no, you could not have Christianity as a philosophy. If, OTOH, you accept the Teachings as wisdom much as one accepts the Teachings of The Buddha as wisdom, then yes. One can be a philosophical Christian, I know many Buddhist Christians. They are not mutually exclusive.

JoStories

What I would like to do is compare Christianity to being a friend with someone. When two people are friends then they can be said to have a relationship with each other. Can one of the friends point to the other and say "you are religious because you are my friend"? That is the heart of Christianity, a relationship with God through Jesus, not a set of religious tasks, works, or rituals. Now it does get somewhat complicated when certain Christian sects add in unnecessary rituals.

Let me compare Christianity to Islam as an example. Islam has five major pillars that should be completed in order to please God. Then they are required to follow a set of rules, such as the rules of Shari law. Basically it is a works based religion, where Christianity is based on faith and a relationship. A person could get a personal relationship on their death bead, but you can’t perform enough religious works hoping that they will weigh more than your bad works when you are on your death bed.

How little you know of the Muslim faith, or your own. For many the Christian faith is one of works. One of the best quotes I ever read said, what have you done to demonstrate your faith today? Have you lived the Words of God or simply mouthed the platitudes?