• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Christian Nationalism is Not Christianity"

Dao Hao Now

I guess you are talking about democrats? Because they were the ones pushing slavery to continue.
Actually, @Policy clearly referenced conservatives.

Before you trot out the old deceptive crap about the Republicans being the party who freed the slaves and the Democrats are the racists keeping them down, trying to equate it to the two parties in there current form;
I suggest you learn a little history…….

Do you mean democrats exemplified by the likes of Strom Thurmond?
Thurmond was a member of the Democratic Party until 1964, when he joined the Republican Party for the remainder of his legislative career. He also ran for president in 1948 as the Dixiecrat candidate, receiving over a million votes and winning four states.
Strom Thurmond - Wikipedia

The States' Rights Democratic Party (whose members are often called the Dixiecrats) was a short-lived segregationist political party in the United States, active primarily in the South. It arose due to a Southern regional split in opposition to the Democratic Party. After President Harry S. Truman, a member of the Democratic Party, ordered integration of the military in 1948 and other actions to address civil rights of African Americans, many Southern conservative white politicians who objected to this course organized themselves as a breakaway faction. The Dixiecrats wished to protect Southern states' rights to maintain racial segregation.
Party Ideology:
The main plank of the States' Rights Democratic Party was maintaining segregation and Jim Crow in the South. The Dixiecrats, failing to deny the Democrats the presidency in 1948, soon dissolved, but the split lingered. In the fall of 1964, Thurmond was one of the first conservative Southern Democrats to switch to the Republican Party just a couple months after Democratic President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act into law.
The Dixiecrats represented the weakening of the "Solid South". (This referred to the Southern Democratic Party's control of presidential elections in the South and most seats in Congress, partly through decades of disfranchisement of blacks entrenched by Southern state legislatures between 1890 and 1908.
Dixiecrat - Wikipedia

“The Southern Strategy”
In the early 1960s, leading Republicans including Senator Barry Goldwater began advocating for a plan they called the Southern Strategy, an effort to make Republicans gains in the Solid South, which had been pro-Democratic since the American Civil War. Under the Southern Strategy, Republicans would continue an earlier effort to make inroads in the South, Operation Dixie, by ending attempts to appeal to African American voters in the Northern states, and instead appeal to white conservative voters in the South.

Many states' rights Democrats were attracted to Goldwater's 1964 presidential campaign. Goldwater was notably more conservative than previous Republican nominees, such as President Eisenhower.

In the 1964 presidential election, Goldwater ran a conservative, hawkish campaign that broadly opposed strong action by the federal government.
Goldwater opposed the Civil Rights Act and championed this opposition during the campaign.

In the 1968 election, Richard Nixon saw the cracks in the Solid South as an opportunity to tap into a group of voters who had historically been beyond the reach of the Republican Party.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy?wprov=sfti1

With the aid of Harry Dent and South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond, who had switched to the Republican Party in 1964, Nixon ran his 1968 campaign on states' rights and "law and order".
This tactic was described as "dog-whistle politics".
Southern strategy - Wikipedia

Harry S Dent Sr.
Along with Clarke Reed of Mississippi and
Howard Callaway of Georgia, Dent is considered one of the architects of the Southern Strategy.
The elder Dent worked for Strom Thurmond, Barry M. Goldwater, and Richard M. Nixon during the realignment of the Democratic and Republican parties during the era of the Civil rights movement, and thereafter for Gerald R. Ford, Jr., Ronald W. Reagan, and George Herbert Walker Bush.
Harry S. Dent Sr. - Wikipedia

In the 1950s, Dent joined the staff of then-Democratic Senator Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, who had run for president as a segregationist Dixiecrat in 1948 against Harry Truman, Thomas Dewey and Henry A. Wallace.

Dent has been described as having helped to articulate the Southern Strategy. Its detractors called it "racism" cloaked in code words like "law and order."

Republican strategist Lee Atwater discussed the Southern Strategy in a 1981 interview later published in Southern Politics in the 1990s by Alexander P. Lamis.

Atwater:
As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [Reagan] doesn't have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 [...] and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...

Questioner:
But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the
Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater:
Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "N!&&£r, n!&&£r, ni&&£r." By 1968 you can't say "n!&&£r"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N!&&£f, n!&&£r."
Southern strategy - Wikipedia

PureX

Veteran Member
...not only do you fail to support your position on the topic,, but you don't even address the topic.
It's not my job nor my responsibility to overcome your ignorance and bias against religion. That's YOUR job, and your responsibility. The fact that you want to fight about it instead of ask questions and learn tells me that you aren't going to take on that responsibility. Religion is not the cause of it's abuse. Neither are politics or commerce. The cause of their abuse is human nature. And in fact, religion and politics were developed to try and mitigate that abuse. Though they often fail and become the instruments of it. If you don't want to see that then nothing I say will open your eyes.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'll assume you've never heard of Jonathan Edwards, and aren't too familiar with the American Great Revival around the mid-to-late 19th century.
No one is, because these are insignificant blips in U. S. history.
That event especially had tremendous influence on shaping Christianity in America into mess it is today (such as promoting Sola Scriptura, Biblical literalism, pre-Tribulation rapture, and superstitions of god punishing a nation for sin). If it weren't for these today there would be no controversy between science and Christianity, they wouldn't care about the gays and they'd wouldn't be so deluded as to think a plain reading of the Bible is all one needs in life, and they'd probably be less focused on hell, damnation and punishment.
That's not really true, though. "Sola Scriptura" began when Guttenburg invented the printing press and Christians were finally able to obtain and read the Bible for themselves. The "voice of God" moved from the priest's mouths to the printed text. And biblical literalism has been around ever since. Because the average uneducated Joe wasn't able to grasp the idea of metaphor, and symbolism, and cultural mythology going in within the texts they were reading. Just as they are still not able to grasp it, because our basic educational system in the U. S. is so pathetically weak. It's the main reason why the U.S. is currently still so given to the resentment of science and fear-driven superstitions compared to other nations. They simply offer their people a far better basic education than we do.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Are you sure it's wise of you to exalt these men as exemplary examples of the Christian faith and as a champion for freedom?

Nice attempt at a strawman.

We weren't talking about who owned slaves, who is the best example of christian faith or who championed for freedom but rather it was declared a Christian nation. Would you like to open a different thread?

It isn't like you or I are the standards either.

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
We can find all types of quotes:

"The general principles, on which the Fathers achieved independence, were the only Principles in which that beautiful Assembly of young Gentlemen could Unite, and these Principles only could be intended by them in their address, or by me in my answer. And what were these general Principles? I answer, the general Principles of Christianity, in which all these Sects were United: And the general Principles of English and American Liberty...

"Now I will avow, that I then believe, and now believe, that those general Principles of Christianity, are as eternal and immutable, as the Existence and Attributes of God; and that those Principles of Liberty, are as unalterable as human Nature and our terrestrial, mundane System."
-Adams wrote this on June 28, 1813, excerpt from a letter to Thomas Jefferson.

Founding father John Jay: “Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers”

“We have staked the whole future of American civilization not on the power of government, far from it. We have staked the whole of our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves according to the commandments of God. The future and success of America is not in this Constitution, but in the laws of God upon which this Constitution is founded.” ~ James Madison

“Before any man can be considered as a member of civil society, he must be considered as a subject of the Governor of the Universe. And to the same Divine Author of every good and perfect gift we are indebted for all those privileges and advantages, religious as well as civil, which are so richly enjoyed in this favored land.” ~ James Monroe

“Finally, it is my most fervent prayer to that Almighty Being before whom I now stand, and who has kept us in His hands from the infancy of our Republic unto the present day, that He will so overrule all my intentions and actions and inspire the hearts of my fellow-citizens that we may be preserved from dangers of all kinds and continue forever a united and happy people.” ~ Andrew Jackson

Very Christian IMV

We can find lots of quotes! But it comes down to the majority of the folks who formed our government voting on a system that excluded Christian language, excluded religious testing for the leaders, and set up a barrier in the 1st Amendment between church and state.

The quoted Principles of Christianity appear to refer to Principles that can be generally considered a part of many religious and philosophical systems. Nowhere is Christ invoked in our Constitution. The quote is from letters between him and Jefferson when they were having a bit of a lover's tiff, and even Jefferson appears to be arguing these Principles guided the Founding Fathers. Jefferson was clearly on the separation team, however. He is the one that originally coined "separation of church and state. "

So to circle back to original question, how do you define the folks who want an overtly Christian government in America? Those folks like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert who want to require religious tests and want the church to direct the government?

Christian nationalism makes sense to me as a term because it evokes a sense of identifying one's country primarily with a religious identity.

It's a dangerous notion. Time and again, when any religion mixes with politics, the results are bad.

Kenny

Premium Member
Non-believers burn in a lake of fire. Eternal torture.

How do you feel ISIS should be dealt with?

From my signature ISIS should be dealt with the same way God dealt with me. The preaching of the Gospel is the power to change a person's heart and giving the person the freedom to make their own personal choice.

Kenny

Premium Member
We can find lots of quotes! But it comes down to the majority of the folks who formed our government voting on a system that excluded Christian language, excluded religious testing for the leaders, and set up a barrier in the 1st Amendment between church and state.

The quoted Principles of Christianity appear to refer to Principles that can be generally considered a part of many religious and philosophical systems. Nowhere is Christ invoked in our Constitution. The quote is from letters between him and Jefferson when they were having a bit of a lover's tiff, and even Jefferson appears to be arguing these Principles guided the Founding Fathers. Jefferson was clearly on the separation team, however. He is the one that originally coined "separation of church and state. "

So to circle back to original question, how do you define the folks who want an overtly Christian government in America? Those folks like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert who want to require religious tests and want the church to direct the government?

Christian nationalism makes sense to me as a term be cause it evokes a sense of identifying one's country primarily with a religious identity.

It's a dangerous notion. Time and again, when any religion mixes with politics, the results are bad.
Yes, they wisely excluded religious testing
No, the barrier was the Government not establishing a certain sect of Christianity to be a national position because of experiences in England. It wasn't putting a barrier of Christians being involved in the Government.
No, the letter of Jefferson was to assure the Baptists that they would have the freedom to worship God as they dictated.
No, the government did not exclude God from its language. There is a plethora of Christian language throughout the government of the US including prayer before the Supreme Court and Congress meets.
Yes, there should not be the negative application of Christian Nationalism as a test for leaders though the people are free to have it as their personal test.
and No, I don't want that kind negative Christian Nationalism, but I do want the good kind. :)

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Oh my God!! That is the funniest excuse ever! You are not following this so you can't read it. Now that makes all kinds of sense:confused:o_O

Sorry, but your Christianity is just another religion. It is not much better or much worse than the rest of them.
You didn't understand what I said. The leaders of the Catholic church of that time had access to the written word... the people didn't. The leaders could then manipulate the people to do what they wanted, because the people didn't know what the scriptures actually said... Such as salvation by faith. The church even required indulgences be paid for getting the souls of relatives out of limbo, a place that is never mentioned in Scripture.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
That was in the past. And it was not accurate. The Democrats used to be the party of racial abuse and hatred. That is true. But for some odd reason things switched around in the 1960's. Perhaps it was the influence of JFK even after the died. He had a vision for America that included equality. And perhaps the Republicans abandoned there past support of civil rights because of that. It is hard to say why and how the Republicans went from being the good guys when it came to equality to the bad guys.
I don't see any Republicans advocating for segregation, just the opposite, that's the liberals.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You didn't understand what I said. The leaders of the Catholic church of that time had access to the written word... the people didn't. The leaders could then manipulate the people to do what they wanted, because the people didn't know what the scriptures actually said... Such as salvation by faith. The church even required indulgences be paid for getting the souls of relatives out of limbo, a place that is never mentioned in Scripture.
Actually you did not understand what you wrote. You might have meant to say that but you didn't.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Comparing the modern Democratic party to the one circa 1800's is dopey and disingenuous.

Do you think those that fly the Confederate flag today vote democrat? Why are most of the southern states 'red'?
Today's liberals are actually pushing for segregation again.

Cal State Los Angeles, the University of Connecticut, UC Davis, and UC Berkeley, among others, offer racially segregated housing for black students, in the name of diversity.
What kind of insanity is this, to suppose that reverse racism is a good thing?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Today's liberals are actually pushing for segregation again.

Cal State Los Angeles, the University of Connecticut, UC Davis, and UC Berkeley, among others, offer racially segregated housing for black students, in the name of diversity.
What kind of insanity is this, to suppose that reverse racism is a good thing?

Using racism to fight racism (or sexism to fight sexism, etc.) is an asinine double standard and I don't support it.

Reactions: ppp