• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Christie's Culture Of Intimidation...?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I notice the subject hasn't come up as of yet on the forum so I want to get a discussion started that deals with the recent trouble Chris Christie's administration is facing in the wake of information surrounding the bridge lane closure that appears to have been done in retaliation toward a Democrat mayor that wouldn't endorse Christie's re-election campaign efforts.

Christie stuck in a jam over GWB lane closings : page 2 - NorthJersey.com
A cache of private messages linking Governor Christie’s office to vindictive lane closures at the George Washington Bridge in September plunged the administration into a deep crisis on Wednesday, threatening Christie’s national profile as a straight-talker and feeding criticism that his administration has used its power to bully political enemies.

The explosive e-mails and text messages, obtained and first reported by The Record, sparked a political firestorm that extended far beyond New Jersey and Fort Lee — which was gridlocked for days as a result of the closures — and appeared destined to stretch into the foreseeable future. They also pushed Christie to expand on his previous claims that his office had no involvement in the closures and forced him to join the chorus of outraged officials at all levels of government condemning the messages exchanged between one of his deputy aides and his two executives at the Port Authority

“Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” Bridget Anne Kelly, one of three deputy chiefs of staff for Christie, wrote on Aug. 13. The recipient of the e-mail was David Wildstein, a longtime political operative who went to high school with the governor and was hired to be the governor’s eyes and ears at the Port Authority. Wildstein, who ordered the closures three weeks after the message and resigned last month amid the escalating scandal, wrote back: “Got it".

Wildstein supplied the records that surfaced Wednesday in response to a committee investigating the unannounced closures, which paralyzed Fort Lee during morning rush-hour for four days

“Is it wrong that I’m smiling,” the recipient of the text message responded to Wildstein. The person’s identity is not clear because the documents are partially redacted for unknown reasons.

“No,” Wildstein wrote in response

“I feel badly about the kids,” the person replied to Wildstein. “I guess.”

“They are the children of Buono voters,” Wildstein wrote, making a reference to Barbara Buono.....

The story is so vast that it continues for another three pages. So far that I'm aware of there have been two dozen documents turned over to be examined which revealed some of the comments in the article. They, as the article indicates, have been partially redacted by unknown persons for unknown reasons at this point. There are more documents to come (about a thousand more to be turned over).

Let's discuss......

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
As a New Jerseian, our politics has long been corupt. Christie was no different. The only reason he was reelected is because of Sandy.

Christie has been bullying groups all through his service, his staff had to assume bullying is OK.

If Christie did not know what his own staff was doing I don't want him in office of the governor, let alone the president.

If Christie did authorize his people to do what they did I want him impeached and sued for delaying the Cops and Emergency personal and possibly locked up.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The only reason he was reelected is because of Sandy.

Bingo! Remember the campaign ads with a shot of one of the amusement piers behind him? And sitting at a beach with a group of people saying "we're stronger than the storm"? :facepalm:

freethinker44

If Christie did authorize his people to do what they did I want him impeached and sued for delaying the Cops and Emergency personal and possibly locked up.

Oh, that's a good one. I wonder if he can be charged with manslaughter or something if anyone died as a result of delayed emergency vehicles.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What happened is disgusting & worthy of prosecution.
Investigate, & let the chips fall where they will.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
This has to be one of the dumbest reasons I have ever seen to jeopardize your career in politics. Its obviously disgusting. However it is not too surprising. I'm very interested in how he will get out of this mess.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This has to be one of the dumbest reasons I have ever seen to jeopardize your career in politics. Its obviously disgusting. However it is not too surprising. I'm very interested in how he will get out of this mess.
Politicians get out of messes all the time. Did he order it, or did
a subordinate do it independently? This matters. Time will tell.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Even after this is all said and done, he'll still be the best chance republicans have in 2016. But selfservatives won't let that happen.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Having now become politically active and an awakening of the dangers of obese government (I now cannot stand Obama, Hillary and most Democrats), I may not be as versed on all aspects of the political debate but now identifying with the Rand Paul's, Huckabees in US politics, I was certainly NOT a fan of this New Jersey guy (how do you spell his name?).

So, speaking of obese, yes I was joining in on the "So just how fat is Chris Christie?" jokes you hear on the conservative radio talk shows ("Chris Christie is so fat that ..." yadda yadda).

But now from what I am gathering so far on this affair, I think this is actually bullying by the media against Christie to try and help Hillary, and is a bunch over over-exaggerated crap, and having heard Christie in today's News Conference over satellite radio in the car, I am so impressed with his quality of communication and his convincing delivery I am now reconsidering my opposition to him and may even support him for President.

But of course, I only heard him on the radio, and will have to see him on video to see if his fatness will still be a factoid in the game. But I believe him, he didn't know the full story and I am very impressed with his actions taken unlike Hillary who is involved in a scandal way bigger than a bridge closing.

I think he is going to turn this thing around.

Om Namah Sivaya

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Rand Paul just stuck his own foot in his mouth again several days ago, so he's on much the same kind of roll that Christie is.

freethinker44

What is Christie's culpability?

I find it hard to believe that Christie had no idea his senior staff plotted against another politician on Christie's behalf. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not feeling it. Whether or not it can be proven, I don't know, probably not.

I do think that whether he is shown to be involved or not, the outcome isn't going to be good for his political career. He is either involved and guilty of abusing his power, or he is not involved and he's an idiot for being so dense he didn't know what his senior staff was doing, although if history is any indication, being an idiot doesn't hurt your chances of being a successful politician*.

*George W Bush

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I find it hard to believe that Christie had no idea his senior staff plotted against another politician on Christie's behalf. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not feeling it. Whether or not it can be proven, I don't know, probably not.

NJ still has the stink of McGreevey's boyfriend's no-show job, and McGreevey pleading ignorance of the whole thing. NJ is a nice little state, but politically, it's corrupt and rotten to the core, regardless of the party. I don't put anything past anyone here.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I find it hard to believe that Christie had no idea his senior staff plotted against another politician on Christie's behalf.
Which is irrelevant. If he is shown to have done something wrong, let's address it. Short of that, I see nothing ethical about being part of some feeding frenzy …
… and I'm an Obama / Hillary Clinton supporter.​

Last edited:

freethinker44

Which is irrelevant. If he is shown to have dome something wrong, let's address it. Short of that, I see nothing ethical about being part of some feeding frenzy …
… and I'm an Obama / Hillary Clinton supporter.​

:shrug: Hitler never officially ordered the extermination of the Jews, and yet no one has a problem holding him responsible, including myself.