• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiristianity can be harmful to children.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Well I can list morally bad ideas in the faith. You could list morally good ideas and we could compare the size of our lists. My claim is that there are more bad ideas than good ones.
Well, then I guess you believe that the over 1 billion people worldwide must be ignorant plus ignoring the fact that the Catholic Church is the world's largest non-governmental charitable organization.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Healthy deliberate and responsible exposure to reality

I don't think there is a healthy version of "original sin" that can be taught to children of any age, without having harmfull psychological impact.

Even for adults, it isn't healthy. Luckily though, by the time you become an adult and then are confronted with that nonsense for the first time, you more then likely will just raise an eyebrow or two, shrug your shoulders and say "ya, owkay...." and move on.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
We have different cultures and manner of raising our children.
We have different laws governing child-parent relations, as well as gun laws.

School shooting - Wikipedia

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia

If a child knows what is right and wrong with discipline with care, probably all of these would be avoidable.

Maybe you should ask yourself why the vast majority of such tragedies in the west are happing in the country that has both the most guns / least gun control as well as the highest rate of religiocity.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
How did you teach them what is wrong and what is right?

For the most part, morality naturally comes to my kid.
And for those cases where it doesn't, mostly all I need to do is flip the roles. "how would you feel like if i did that to you?" with perhaps some extra explanation if it concerns something a bit more complex / indirect.

Morality isn't that hard.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
That being said, children being taught about the Crucifixion of their Savior doesn't bother me at all.

How about explaining to them why they supposedly require saving in the first place?
Doesn't it bother you to have to tell your innocent cute children that they are actually rotten and broken and require "fixing" and that this "fixing" has been done by nailing a jew to the cross some 2000 years ago when ancient Rome was still a thing?

It would bother me immensly. I'm thankfull that I don't have to defend / explain such ridiculous things.

shmogie

I don't think there is a healthy version of "original sin" that can be taught to children of any age, without having harmfull psychological impact.

Even for adults, it isn't healthy. Luckily though, by the time you become an adult and then are confronted with that nonsense for the first time, you more then likely will just raise an eyebrow or two, shrug your shoulders and say "ya, owkay...." and move on.
So, you take the position that no one ever does anything wrong, and humans are all pure and good ?

All so called original sin means is that none of us achieves perfection by Gods standards.

Why should that cause you psychological damage ?

As a child, I never perfectly kept my parents standards, nor did my children meet mine. As far as I can tell, none of us have psychological problems, as a result.

Were you damaged by not meeting your parents behavior standards, or did you not get out of line ?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
So, you take the position that no one ever does anything wrong, and humans are all pure and good ?

No. I take the position that humans don't deserve to punished just for being human.
Or require any saving from the mere fact of being human.

Why should that cause you psychological damage ?

Because it makes them believe that there is something inherently wrong with them.

As a child, I never perfectly kept my parents standards, nor did my children meet mine

Yet I'm sure that your parents never called you unworthy, just for being "you".
And if they did, I'ld call that terrible parenting.

As far as I can tell, none of us have psychological problems, as a result.

Again, because they never treated you like that.
Those who were treated like that, DO have psychological problems.

Were you damaged by not meeting your parents behavior standards, or did you not get out of line ?
Again, not the same thing as being called unworthy just for being you - regardless of any good or bad you did or do.

MJFlores

Maybe you should ask yourself why the vast majority of such tragedies in the west are happing in the country that has both the most guns / least gun control as well as the highest rate of religiocity.

We are loosing our orbit on the topic: Christianity can be harmful to children.
anyways, it was thoroughly discussed - children would rather play gadgets like cellphones, laptops, PS and XBox than Bibles. That is my opinion.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
We are loosing our orbit on the topic: Christianity can be harmful to children.
anyways, it was thoroughly discussed - children would rather play gadgets like cellphones, laptops, PS and XBox than Bibles. That is my opinion.

My kid would rather eat candy then to play with electronics.

I don't see how either is relevant to how indoctrinating children into christianity, is psychologically harmfull to them.

shmogie

No. I take the position that humans don't deserve to punished just for being human.
Or require any saving from the mere fact of being human.

Because it makes them believe that there is something inherently wrong with them.

Yet I'm sure that your parents never called you unworthy, just for being "you".
And if they did, I'ld call that terrible parenting.

Again, because they never treated you like that.
Those who were treated like that, DO have psychological problems.

Again, not the same thing as being called unworthy just for being you - regardless of any good or bad you did or do.
One is only ¨ unworthy ¨ by the standard, the entire NT is about how loved and worthy a person is.

Maybe this is a Catholic thing, I don´t know, I am a Protestant, and we emphasize the love of God and the value of EVERY person in His eye´s.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Tell me which the things they skip, give me one

A minister or a priest or a pastor not sent is a phony one
This kind of people will read one verse, stop there and tell you a story instead 2 Peter 2:3
The true ones, don't do that 2 Peter 1:16

One thing ministers have to skip or spin is the idea that Christianity promotes scape-goating (in the form of sacrificing jesus). Scape-goating, when separated from Christianity, is usually viewed as morally reprehensible.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Well, then I guess you believe that the over 1 billion people worldwide must be ignorant plus ignoring the fact that the Catholic Church is the world's largest non-governmental charitable organization.

I believe that those 1 billion people are all saddled with a scripture that gets harder and harder to make relevant and morally solid as time goes by.

What do you think the bible's main "good moral teachings" are? Can you list the top 5 or so?

syo

For all people exposed to Christianity as children, what did the crucifixion do to you at a young age when you first saw it?
God loves us and we caused him pain. we should be ashamed of our bad behaviour. We should love one another.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Only in your wildest dreams. :p
Great. 'Cause I never had a wild dream before, so maybe it's the green I see every time you mention "JWs".
The simple solution for that is, ...........................................Join us.
animated-smileys-hug-011.gif

metis

What do you think the bible's main "good moral teachings" are? Can you list the top 5 or so?
1.the "Golden Rule".

2.charity for those in need.

3.limitations on war.

4.no human sacrifices.

5.to love one another.

Now it's your turn, so give us five "good moral teachings" that have no basis whatsoever in any religion and are in their entirety secular.

metis

Great. 'Cause I never had a wild dream before, so maybe it's the green I see every time you mention "JWs".
The simple solution for that is, ...........................................Join us.
animated-smileys-hug-011.gif
I've lived next to two sets of JW families for over 40 years now, and even though they're generally nice people, I have no interest whatsoever if buying into the cult they've belong to. Matter of fact, a few years ago one of them left the JW's because of scandal.

And over these years I had discussed various issues with the one couple, especially since the husband was an elder at their kingdom hall. If it's all fine & dandy for you to be with them, fine, but it ain't for me as I well know much of what their teach that's simply erroneous. On top of that, I simply cannot stand their "my way or the highway" approach whereas there's an institutional arrogance matched with quite a bit of dishonesty in how they tend to portray other denominations.

One of the JW's here, for example, repeatedly has said that Catholics worship the sun, and yet I showed here through multiple Catholic sources that this simply in not at all true and is actually forbidden under Catholic theology, and yet she kept coming back and repeating it over and over again.