• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiristianity can be harmful to children.

PruePhillip

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-secular-life/201408/does-christianity-harm-children

Is it a good idea to expose young impressionable children to depictions of violence and cruelty?

The articles interesting because I remember when I was a kid and first saw the crucifixion that scene pretty much haunted me for many years joining the proverbial monster under the bed and the Boogeyman in the closet.

Do religions such as Christianity in this case have a responsibility to not terrorize their children prior to their understanding of what death, execution, and human brutality is.

While I do think it's unhealthy to unrealistically cloister children in a protective shell away from things like this, I do think there should be a discernment of when something is introduced too fast and too soon before kids have a proper understanding of what they're seeing and hearing.

What do you think? Should children be exposed right away to the fact that the real world is not a nice and kind place? Or should people wait till they develop an understanding first, so they're not unduly traumatized with something they don't completely understand yet?

It does strike me as a bit strange when you have children sing about Jesus loves me and all that and then walk into a room where all they see is their object of affection nailed to a cross with blood and thorns and a spear wound all with blood streaming out of it.

For all people exposed to Christianity as children, what did the crucifixion do to you at a young age when you first saw it?

In most Western societies half of all the children today come
from broken homes. They lived in a highly sexualized world,
replete with violence, nihilism and narcissism.
Saying they are somehow damaged by a crucifixion sounds
like someone is evading the issue of how important faith and
meaning is to people's lives. And telling them to go watch TV
instead.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Right, I saw that coming.:D

Do you have kids?
At 62, your kids could be somewhere in the age of 41-31
How are they doing?
How did you teach them what is wrong and what is right?
Nope, no kids. But why do you think the Bible would help? You almost certainly have better morals than are found in the Bible.

MJFlores

Nope, no kids. But why do you think the Bible would help? You almost certainly have better morals than are found in the Bible.

As I have posted, I learned about the Bible after college [20 y.o.]

But of course, my upbringing and education is Catholic
I hear the priests say "blah blah blah" during Mass
Whatever they are saying sometimes comes from the Bible
But I haven't really read the book, up close

We are formed by our parents, friends and relatives
They taught us what to do and not to do
I guess they learned that someway or another from their religiosity
and their own parents, friends and relatives

The topic starter says Christianity can be harmful to children
Almost like the label in a pack of cigarettes which say
Second hand smoke can be harmful to children

I think it should be reworded to
Catholic Priest can be harmful to children

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As I have posted, I learned about the Bible after college [20 y.o.]

But of course, my upbringing and education is Catholic
I hear the priests say "blah blah blah" during Mass
Whatever they are saying sometimes comes from the Bible
But I haven't really read the book, up close

We are formed by our parents, friends and relatives
They taught us what to do and not to do
I guess they learned that someway or another from their religiosity
and their own parents, friends and relatives

The topic starter says Christianity can be harmful to children
Almost like the label in a pack of cigarettes which say
Second hand smoke can be harmful to children

I think it should be reworded to
Catholic Priest can be harmful to children

The Catholics are not the only guilty ones.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-secular-life/201408/does-christianity-harm-children

Is it a good idea to expose young impressionable children to depictions of violence and cruelty?

The articles interesting because I remember when I was a kid and first saw the crucifixion that scene pretty much haunted me for many years joining the proverbial monster under the bed and the Boogeyman in the closet.

Do religions such as Christianity in this case have a responsibility to not terrorize their children prior to their understanding of what death, execution, and human brutality is.

While I do think it's unhealthy to unrealistically cloister children in a protective shell away from things like this, I do think there should be a discernment of when something is introduced too fast and too soon before kids have a proper understanding of what they're seeing and hearing.

What do you think? Should children be exposed right away to the fact that the real world is not a nice and kind place? Or should people wait till they develop an understanding first, so they're not unduly traumatized with something they don't completely understand yet?

It does strike me as a bit strange when you have children sing about Jesus loves me and all that and then walk into a room where all they see is their object of affection nailed to a cross with blood and thorns and a spear wound all with blood streaming out of it.

For all people exposed to Christianity as children, what did the crucifixion do to you at a young age when you first saw it?

As a devout catholic my impression of Jesus was always about love. I learnt how to love others and put others before myself. That is what always stood out to me and has stayed with me all of my life. His example of love for others is an example to humanity.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Christianity teaches children to forgo their critical thinking skills to belief in the irrational and that bad.
That was definitely my experience.
As a devout catholic my impression of Jesus was always about love. I learnt how to love others and put others before myself. That is what always stood out to me and has stayed with me all of my life. His example of love for others is an example to humanity.
What of those who are taught of Jesus' love, but find only torment? My ex was bullied and emotionally abused in Catholic school, and while it was going on she had got to see images of Jesus all around her, images of the faith, and that it happened without end she came to the conclusion Jesus isn't real.
Her experience isn't that unusual.

Prestor John

I'm an LDS Christian and we don't use the cross or any depictions of the Lord on the cross.

That being said, children being taught about the Crucifixion of their Savior doesn't bother me at all.

Vee

Premium Member

I don't think the problem here is Christianity. The problem is irresponsible parents and adults in general. Children should be introduced to things that are appropriate for their age and their level of understanding. Kinda like food. You don't give a steak to a 1 year old. You give children food that they can digest and nourishes their body. As they grow older you start introducing other things.
Images and information are food for the brain and should be managed properly to avoid giving the children traumatic memories and an unhealthy view of life.
Unfortunately today kids are exposed to things that they aren't old enough to understand. That goes for violence, but also for other things like sex, publicity, etc. This is a big problem, but it has nothing to do with Christianity.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
That was definitely my experience.

What of those who are taught of Jesus' love, but find only torment? My ex was bullied and emotionally abused in Catholic school, and while it was going on she had got to see images of Jesus all around her, images of the faith, and that it happened without end she came to the conclusion Jesus isn't real.
Her experience isn't that unusual.

I guess I was fortunate to receive the love of Jesus as it is taught by Him. If any person acts contrary to Jesus law of love they are not Christian no matter they claim to be for a Christian will be known by how he reflects the teachings of Jesus in his deeds.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Right, I saw that coming.:D

Do you have kids?
At 62, your kids could be somewhere in the age of 41-31
How are they doing?
How did you teach them what is wrong and what is right?

If you use the bible to teach from, how do YOU know which parts to use and which parts to include in your teaching? How does a pastor know the difference.

You and the pastor both have a better moral compass than what's in the bible.

MJFlores

If you use the bible to teach from, how do YOU know which parts to use and which parts to include in your teaching? How does a pastor know the difference.

You and the pastor both have a better moral compass than what's in the bible.

Yes, the minister knows and reads it from the pages.
If it is not there, then it is not there.

It is useful in our daily lives.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
Does Christianity Harm Children?

The much watered down image of the crucifixion today is not much in comparison to what kids see today on the T.V. or internet. An accurate representation of a crucifixion would be very disturbing for anybody. It's also part of the story of Jesus Christ, so if the child is old enough to understand Jesus, salvation, and discipleship, they probably will not be bothered by the image of the cross because of its meaning. Its the act of Christ to save the lost.