• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiristianity can be harmful to children.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I figured as much. You have nothing than a belief and cite nothing to support your claims. If you had rosters commonly being that aggressive, there was something very wrong and it was very likely the conditions they lived in.

There was nothing wrong. They were just being roosters. Your dream world doesn't allow you to believe anything other than your dreams. The animal world is not all fuzzy kindness to each other. It is nothing but cruelty and survival.

Good-Ole-Rebel

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
There was nothing wrong. They were just being roosters. Your dream world doesn't allow you to believe anything other than your dreams. The animal world is not all fuzzy kindness to each other. It is nothing but cruelty and survival.

Good-Ole-Rebel
They might have just been roosters with overactive hormones causing them to fight. And yes, could have been bred that way. Roosters apparently do not reason things out. Are you going to say they might think about peaceful conditions or pray, so they can understand the world around them? (I hope not.)

Jacob Samuelson

Is it a good idea to expose young impressionable children to depictions of violence and cruelty?

The articles interesting because I remember when I was a kid and first saw the crucifixion that scene pretty much haunted me for many years joining the proverbial monster under the bed and the Boogeyman in the closet.

Do religions such as Christianity in this case have a responsibility to not terrorize their children prior to their understanding of what death, execution, and human brutality is.

While I do think it's unhealthy to unrealistically cloister children in a protective shell away from things like this, I do think there should be a discernment of when something is introduced too fast and too soon before kids have a proper understanding of what they're seeing and hearing.

What do you think? Should children be exposed right away to the fact that the real world is not a nice and kind place? Or should people wait till they develop an understanding first, so they're not unduly traumatized with something they don't completely understand yet?

It does strike me as a bit strange when you have children sing about Jesus loves me and all that and then walk into a room where all they see is their object of affection nailed to a cross with blood and thorns and a spear wound all with blood streaming out of it.

For all people exposed to Christianity as children, what did the crucifixion do to you at a young age when you first saw it?

I don't hold to the icon of the crucifix as part of my faith, yet I'm a Christian. The idea of the crucifix may seem gruesome as a symbol that portrays death, but I understand where it comes from. It is a reminder that someone died for us. Not just someone, the greatest of all. There should be a definite reverence for that, just like when you visit a grave site for a dear close friend. Sure, graveyards and tombstones denote a type of spookiness as does the cross, but it is just a reminder that we had someone special in our life. What really turns that reverence off for me, is when it is exploited by sales people or used as a tool for fear as portrayed in the movies. That really ruins the purpose of the symbol. I guess as a child, Hollywood really does a good job ruining a lot of things for us. The true symbol of Christianity, in my opinion, shouldn't be the cross, but the resurrected Savior, who rose from the tomb. He is not dead, but is Risen. Happy Easter!

We Never Know

No Slack
For many people, it is self-evident. Justification abounds as well.
Is it wickedness to...
-take money from the poor by promising them things you can't deliver?
-live like a king in your mansion while so many brethren are homeless?
-to judge others because they live differently than you?
-to throw away left overs while so many starve?
-is it wickedness to...etc etc.

-

Good-Ole-Rebel

They might have just been roosters with overactive hormones causing them to fight. And yes, could have been bred that way. Roosters apparently do not reason things out. Are you going to say they might think about peaceful conditions or pray, so they can understand the world around them? (I hope not.)

Was this reply meant for me?

No I wasn't going to say that. What I said is roosters will fight and kill each other anyway whether you are fighting them for money or not. They do it because they are roosters. It is their nature.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Can you not define the wickedness you speak of or are affraid to define it?

As a Christian, wickedness at present is a life lived and and operated without God. This can be on an individual scale or a community, city, state, national, and international scale.

The affect of this wickedness will be largely stopped during the Kingdom reign of Jesus Christ on earth as satan will be imprisoned for that time period. (Rev. 20;1-4) Christ will rule as Sole Authority over the earth. Of course that will be hell for the ungodly.

Good-Ole-Rebel

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Does Christianity Harm Children?

Is it a good idea to expose young impressionable children to depictions of violence and cruelty?

The articles interesting because I remember when I was a kid and first saw the crucifixion that scene pretty much haunted me for many years joining the proverbial monster under the bed and the Boogeyman in the closet.

Do religions such as Christianity in this case have a responsibility to not terrorize their children prior to their understanding of what death, execution, and human brutality is.

While I do think it's unhealthy to unrealistically cloister children in a protective shell away from things like this, I do think there should be a discernment of when something is introduced too fast and too soon before kids have a proper understanding of what they're seeing and hearing.

What do you think? Should children be exposed right away to the fact that the real world is not a nice and kind place? Or should people wait till they develop an understanding first, so they're not unduly traumatized with something they don't completely understand yet?

It does strike me as a bit strange when you have children sing about Jesus loves me and all that and then walk into a room where all they see is their object of affection nailed to a cross with blood and thorns and a spear wound all with blood streaming out of it.

For all people exposed to Christianity as children, what did the crucifixion do to you at a young age when you first saw it?
I think there is such a thing as being too protective of children.

For one thing, children are comforted by violence when it is a superhero violently overpowering a bad guy. I think that if handled properly, things like the crucifixion can be placed into that sort of context. And its not like you have to go into the gorey details of it with the youngest ones. An emotionally mature Christian adult is going to have some common sense about this--they won't be making popcorn and sitting down with their four year old to watch Mel Gibson's The Passion.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You gotta love those ultra-gory crucifixes you sometimes find in Catholic churches:
A Gory Crucifix at Basilica of Bom Jesus | Photo

Yeah, it's not really the most positive thing. But I get told that my positive, life-affirming gods are false and demons. Go figure.
My mom used to say that Catholics seemed to like the gore, the gorier the better LOL.

But in fairness, an actual scourging and crucifixion would have been a truly gory thing, so Catholic are simply refusing to sweep reality under the rug, eh? If they are going to meditate "on what Jesus did for them," then at least they have a better picture of it, literally.

YoursTrue

I was a bit bemused by the OP actually....young ones are raised with the most graphic and gratuitous violence in their entertainment these days. Video games and computer games, movies and TV shows...even cartoons contain more than a fair share of violence. I grew up with the Road Runner and Coyote doing dreadful things to one another. Disney had a real dark side to their cartoon stories as well. So what's with picking on depictions of Christ's death? At least it had a noble purpose. o_O
Right. Though cartoon characters, they were always batting one another or tripping one another up. I really didn't laugh as a young child and now that you're bringing that up, I'm thinking back to my reaction. Which was, in general, what?? That's not nice.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Right. Though cartoon characters, they were always batting one another or tripping one another up. I really didn't laugh as a young child and now that you're bringing that up, I'm thinking back to my reaction. Which was, in general, what?? That's not nice.

I can remember being severely disturbed by portions of Disney's "Fantasia"...especially the part called "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". I remember having nightmares about that. :eek:

YoursTrue

I can remember being severely disturbed by portions of Disney's "Fantasia"...especially the part called "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". I remember having nightmares about that. :eek:
Yes, so weird.