• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Hebdo Muslim hypocrisy still not cured

Jedster

To be fair, you don't hear much of people being radicalised in the Society of Friends :D

Yes it does appear that way

maxresdefault.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But a good Christian would IMO

I could give an astounded expletive to that but will just say, i don't think so, o have never met a christian who will admit Christian terrorists exist. So reel of a list of Christian terror groups, their reply is usually along the lines og "they are not christians "

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Sorry if I am belittling your religion but when we look at Communist regimes we do do millions murdered for that particular religion.
"Communism: political and economic doctrine that aims to replace private property and a profit-based economy with public ownership and communal control of at least the major means of production (e.g., mines, mills, and factories) and the natural resources of a society."
- communism | Definition, History, Varieties, & Facts

I'm sure you knew that and are simply being provocative.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
No brother. It doesn't work that way. Its a good assumption, but its the logical fallacy of division.

Thats why I asked you about Pirabakaran. If you are not aware of him and his group, do a little bit of research. Just that they are not much in the news now.

Peace.
I just said "Of course it is a fact that most terrorists are religious (I assume ca. 84%)."

So, most terrorists are religious. I did not research the exact number, so I wrote in brackets "I assume ca. 84%"; knowing it was the wrong number. IF I wanted to know the exact number, I would have gone around the world and ask anyone personally. That would create a problem, because once I would have counted all, new ones would have been born, and I might have died before finishing. And with the corona thing going, and staying in quarantine I would even face more problems.

Realizing this fact, I decided for myself to assume that over the millions of years of human life on earth, probably it will be a human thing to be violent, and a certain number will make it into the group of terrorists, and from these, over all the millions of years....well you get it I think ... at best we can assume, because we can't go back a million of years (let alone 2 million or more). Nothing more, nothing less was in my mind.

stvdv

To be fair, you don't hear much of people being radicalised in the Society of Friends :D
But still, if 84% of the world population calls themselves religious, I can't believe that from the 16% come most of the terrorists. Are Atheists that bad?

stvdv

There have been a lot of wars in the name of religion and most terrorism is religion based. Would there have been less violence, almost certainly.

But there is more to fight about than religion.
I am not sure yet, if there would be less violence; but you might be right:
a) All humans are humans; some of which like to play "Risk: Global Domination"
b) Religious people have 1 extra motive to kill, and that is in the name of their God/Religion
c) Religious people have 1 extra motive to kill NOT, and that is in the name of their God/Religion
So, it depends which percentage is higher "To Kill or not to Kill" in Religious people compared to Atheists

I also don't think that religious people only fight "in name of Religion".
And probably I should call them "religious in name" ONLY; those raping++

ChristineM

Premium Member
People will go to war for anything. It's the way nature has us.

• The pig war
  • The Nika Riot
  • The war of The Stray Dog
  • The War of Jenkens' Ear
  • The Toledo War
  • The Pastry War
  • Etc.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/news/6-wars-fought-for-ridiculous-reasons

Sorry if I am belittling your religion but when we look at Communist regimes we do do millions murdered for that particular religion.

People will go to war for anything. It's the way nature has us.

• The pig war
  • The Nika Riot
  • The war of The Stray Dog
  • The War of Jenkens' Ear
  • The Toledo War
  • The Pastry War
  • Etc.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/news/6-wars-fought-for-ridiculous-reasons

True, and people will go to war for religious readons, see beloe

You rain on nothing, i am aware that millions were killed in the ussr, but to say it was driven by atheism is wrong. It was driven by nationalism. If you want to discuss the difference feel free to begin a one on one thread.

Germany? Nope, both Hittler and his masses were predominantly Christian

North korea... Pol pot was a Buddhist educated by catholics.

So China.. well mao zedong was raised Buddhist but as far as i know is the only one to renounce his religion. But again you are confusing nationalism with atheism.

But... Assume all those murders were caused by atheism, it still has a long, very long way to go to catch up to the deaths caused through history by religion.

Here are some of the conflicts (some with estimated death figures) in which one side or both were killing for their religious belief

Albigensian Crusade, 1208-49
Algeria, 1992-
Baha'is, 1848-54
Bosnia, 1992-95
Boxer Rebellion, 1899-1901
Christian Romans, 30-313 CE
Croatia, 1991-92
English Civil War, 1642-46
Holocaust, 1938-45
Huguenot Wars, 1562-1598
India, 1992-2002
India: Suttee & Thugs
Indo-Pakistani Partition, 1947
Iran, Islamic Republic, 1979-
Iraq, Shiites, 1991-92
Jews, 1348
Jonestown, 1978
Lebanon 1860 / 1975-92
Molucca Is., 1999-
Mongolia, 1937-39
Northern Ireland, 1974-98
Russian pogroms 1905-06 / 1917-22
St. Bartholemew Massacre, 1572
Shang China, ca. 1300-1050 BCE
Shimabara Revolt, Japan 1637-38
Sikh uprising, India, 1984-91
Spanish Inquisition, 1478-1834
Taiping Rebellion, 1850-64
Thirty Years War, 1618-48 - 11,500,000
Tudor England
Vietnam, 1800s
Witch Hunts, 1400-1800
Xhosa, 1857
Arab Outbreak, 7th Century CE
Arab-Israeli Wars, 1948-
Al Qaeda, 1993-
Crusades, 1095-1291 - 6,000,000
Dutch Revolt, 1566-1609
Nigeria, 1990s, 2000s

stvdv

I could give an astounded expletive to that but will just say, i don't think so, o have never met a christian who will admit Christian terrorists exist. So reel of a list of Christian terror groups, their reply is usually along the lines og "they are not christians "
A good Christian would also not lie, not kill, and marriage till death do us part, not desire women.....Their reply if they do "they are not christians?"

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am not sure yet, if there would be less violence; but you might be right:
a) All humans are humans; some of which like to play "Risk: Global Domination"
b) Religious people have 1 extra motive to kill, and that is in the name of their God/Religion
c) Religious people have 1 extra motive to kill NOT, and that is in the name of their God/Religion
So, it depends which percentage is higher "To Kill or not to Kill" in Religious people compared to Atheists

I also don't think that religious people only fight "in name of Religion".
And probably I should call them "religious in name" ONLY; those raping++

See my post #71

ChristineM

Premium Member
A good Christian would also not lie, not kill, and marriage till death do us part, not desire women.....Their reply if they do "they are not christians?"

I assume you don't know many christians?

ChristineM

Premium Member
The actual term atheism emerged first in the 16th century. So Atheism can't be that bad as Theism.

As far as i am aware the root emerged in ancient greece with the term a-theos meaning without god.

But the general ethos was understood in the East as early as 6th century BCE.

But the label "atheisme" first appeared in france around 1550 but was soon bastardised by the English to mean without morals.. those pius religious who used it as an insult have a lot to answer for

stvdv

But the label "atheisme" first appeared in france around 1550 but was soon bastardised by the English to mean without morals.. those pius religious who used it as an insult have a lot to answer for
This proves that Atheism was not even there around 1550, because they had a definition that has nothing to do with Atheism

When was the "real" definition of Atheism given, that would be the real start of Atheism