• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic Abuse Scandal was Primarily Homosexual

Status
Not open for further replies.

GardenLady

Agreed, it is not 100% homosexual.

But the headline is that it's a homosexual problem. So, they just dismiss at least a quarter of victims who were not teen boys (if it were less than a quarter they would have said 75% not 70%)? The chosen headline looks "better" from the church's perspective? And let's focus on homosexuality to also divert attention from the systemic corruption that focused on protecting the institution rather than victims.

idea

Question Everything
The bigotry against the Catholic Church is rampant on these boards.

I don't plan to sugar coat the truth.

Thanks for your advice.

Anyone from any faith who refuses to admit faults in their organizations leadership seem to feel "persecured" when truth about imperfect leaders emerge.

In the Bible, the apostles and prophets had all manner of imperfections - couldn't walk on water, couldn't always heal, were constantly being corrected, denied Christ 3 times before cock crew, doubted, couldn't stay awake 1 hour, betrayed Chrst with a kiss...

it's ok - we are all imperfect humans. Best to face imperfections rather than deny, repent - the whole point, repent...

No one is being persecuted, just being asked to face imperfections and repent, and have equal sympathy for other imperfect groups.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's about homosexuals abusing others.

The perpetrators were homosexual in these cases.

No, most of the abuse was teen boys.

Ignoring the fact that 80% of the abuse was homosexual is worse.
If it only was that simple, plus we see a homophobic bias being reflected with the above as this is not the first time you've done that.

IMO, the problem that so angered my wife & I was the fact that all so many of the bishops did not report allegations to the civil authorities and also moved many of these priests to other parishes to sorta hide them. Now the USCCB requires bishops to do this, which they should have been doing all along, imo.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The National Review Board, recruiting a research team from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, released its initial report in 2004. The results were conclusive: This was not a "pedophile" scandal, but a homosexual scandal. Eighty percent of the alleged victims were male, and nearly 90 percent were post-pubescent, with "only a small percentage of priests receiving allegations of abusing young children."

I addition, almost all the abuse happened 20 years ago or more.

The Church has taken action to block actively gay men from becoming priests and instituted other safety measures which have virtually ended instances of abuse.

The victim's gender plays no role in the orientation of the pedo. It's about power, not sex. Also, boys can't get pregnant. Back in history, there were a lot of pregnant nuns.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I wonder if young Catholic men wrestling with homosexual
feelings see the priesthood as a way of coping with their
orientation...one which must be denied. By swearing off
sex, perhaps they imagine a way of resisting temptation,
purging their sinful desires, & practicing penance.
But many later discover their feelings are not so easily
denied, & become expressed in heinous ways because
normal relationships are impossible. Children are vulnerable,
offering the secrecy that adults wouldn't.

It probably keeps people from pressuring them to get married.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This was not a "pedophile" scandal, but a homosexual scandal.

You seem to think that that somehow vindicates the RCC. Also, you left out the main scandal - the cover up.

The Church has taken action to block actively gay men from becoming priests and instituted other safety measures which have virtually ended instances of abuse.

And we're to take their word for that? Or yours? It's a given that they would say that. What's not a given is that they have done anything effective, or that they even care about the matter apart from the way it hurts their reputation and bottom line.

The bigotry against the Catholic Church is rampant on these boards.

You probably also think that the Jan 6 committee is bigoted against Trump. But some people are actually opposed to crime, and being such doesn't make them bigoted against the criminals.

The Church made its bed and will now have to sleep in it for as long as people can remember the sex scandal and its criminal cover-up. We learned that it was not to be trusted in these matters twenty years ago, and that hasn't changed. Your task here is hopeless, assuming that you're trying to sanitize the Church's reputation. You've seen the reaction. Even the Catholics posting here are rejecting your argument. And there has not been a single word of bigotry from any of them.

Deal with the facts. You can dispute the conclusion(not rationally) but the facts are no disputed.

When dealing with a source that has the agenda and values of religious apologists, one needn't even look at what it says. Why? Because at a minimum, the source needs to be trusted. Find a disinterested news source that reports the same thing, and I'll look at that.

In case you want to call that the genetic fallacy, I would disagree. For starters, that occurs when one says the argument is wrong because of its source. That is not what I am saying. I am saying that I don't trust it and am unwilling to do the necessary fact checking to make an assessment of whether I buy the argument or not.

That came home to me when reading some creationist apologetics arguing that human evolution from the ancestors of other extant great apes was impossible, since the other apes all have 24 pairs of chromosomes and man only 23. The argument was that if these other apes had a common ancestor, it could not have been an ancestor of man, since no chromosome dropout mutation is survivable, much less selected for. I happen to have been aware of human chromosome 2, and could rapidly reject the argument, but what if I hadn't been? The argument presented was sound. The facts provided could be confirmed, and the subsequent reasoning flawless. Yet the conclusion was false anyway.

The problem was that I was dealing with a dishonest source, and it was not enough to check the factual claims and reasoning. I would have had to take the argument to somebody more knowledgeable than I in biology or do a survey of biology to discover the omitted fact. It is on this basis that I say that I reject anything from indoctrination sources, and insist that a mutually agreeable source be cited before being willing to consider the argument. And that's quite reasonable. Even indoctrination media can present truth if it thinks it supports their position, but if they have, they learned it from a reliable source. That's the one I'll read. If no other such source exists, then the apologetic are almost certainly dishonest.

It's the same argument for not going to a known or suspected dishonest investment counselor. He makes his presentation, and it seems like a good investment. The facts provided can be corroborated. If he were a trusted source of investment advice, you might take it based on that sound presentation. But this guy? Don't even listen to him. And that's not the genetic fallacy, either, since I'm not concluding that he is lying, just that I don't care to find out if he is or put him to the test.

Similarly, I'm certainly not interested in looking at anything from the Catholic church or any church advocate on the matter. Lets let Luther explain the ethics of apologetics: "What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church … a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them."

Do you think the apologists for your source agree? I think it very likely.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Among the extremely small percentage of Catholic priests who ever engaged in the sexual abuse of another human being… why is it they are almost exclusively homosexual?
One reason mentioned in the Irish enquiry was that homosexual males could avoid the (then much higher) social/cultural pressure to get married, by joining the clergy.

I don't suggest the proportion of abusers would be higher than anywhere else, simply that the male homosexual numbers would be higher.

But the thing that stays with me was Wojtyła's total failure to go anywhere near the problem, and Ratzinger was scarcely any better. The rot was built in.

PureX

Veteran Member
The National Review Board, recruiting a research team from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, released its initial report in 2004. The results were conclusive: This was not a "pedophile" scandal, but a homosexual scandal. Eighty percent of the alleged victims were male, and nearly 90 percent were post-pubescent, with "only a small percentage of priests receiving allegations of abusing young children."

I addition, almost all the abuse happened 20 years ago or more.

For these activities to be labeled "abuse", the victims either have to be under the age of consent, or they have to have been forced or coerced into sexual activity against their will. And since almost none of the victims in this instance were consenting adults, the offenses being committed were against minors. Landing them under the descriptive behavioral heading of 'pedophilia'.

Pedophilia as a behavior pattern has been studied in depth over the years, and it has been found that most pedophiles are opportunists. They seek the excitement of controlling and manipulating a child for their own sexual pleasure. And the gender of the child isn't of primary concern. They may prefer one gender or the other, but they will abuse either if the opportunity arises. Because pedophilia is not about gender. It's about the opportunity to control and manipulate their victims, sexually.

The reason most of the abuse perpetrated by priests was homosexual in nature is because the pedophile priests had far more and easier access to boys than they did to girls. And especially to boys between the ages of 12 and 16. As such interactions were the least likely to ever be questioned by parents or other adults. Had these pedophile priests had easier and more frequent access to girls, they would have abused them, as well, and just as often. And in as great a numbers. Pedophilia is not a gender attraction. It's about control and manipulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.