• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can you convert me?

Dybbuk_Seraphim

The Son Of God
I am new here, and I was wondering what to do for my first post, to get to know people, and have a stimulated intellectual discussion. My mother was a methodist, and my father was an athiest. While living in Asia I driffted towards shinto Budddhism. After coming back, I pursued skepticism, in between actually trying to pursue ritualistic shammanism through altering my concious. I have had espidoes threw out my life that have convinced me there is something more.

So, what do you believe in? Tell me with the passion of someone who would try to sell it to me. I have an open mind and woulkd entertain bidders for my soul on the behalf of their beliefs.:areyoucra

rojse

RF Addict
Why would you come here to be converted? You obviously have the intellect to make up your own mind here, so why blindly follow what others believe?

rageoftyrael

Veritas
He doesn't expect to be converted. He explained it in his post, this is just a way for him to meet people here of RF, and probably get a feel for their beliefs as well. I'm all for it! I'll try to convert you!

Basically, i believe that it about the only way you can prove that a higher diety exists to me is if that diety came to me directly and told me they existed. I'm agnostic, i don't believe in a god or gods, but i don't disbelieve in him/her/them. Basically, i don't actually believe they exist, but i don't BELIEVE that they don't. I say that there is no proof for either the existence or nonexistence of a god/gods/dieties, so i won't make a decision. My religion is waitandseeism. In my religion, if any higher being(or lower being, whatever your preference, lol) proves themselves to me, i will change my religion to ibelieveism. Mainly, as my religion says, i'm waiting for proof, till then, we ain't doing much about gods or dieties.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Dybbuk,
The day you drop all beliefs; shall convince you that there is Nothing that one should hold on to.
Love & rgds

Last edited:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
So, what do you believe in? Tell me with the passion of someone who would try to sell it to me. I have an open mind and woulkd entertain bidders for my soul on the behalf of their beliefs.:areyoucra

Hey there Dybbuk!

Welcome to the forums :) For the sake of your inquiry, I'll answer as best I can. I imagine that you mostly want to get to know people, so hopefully we'll get to know each other better through this discussion. I want to let you know that I'm not posting to get you to come to my side, but I do believe strongly in my faith. On the other hand, I'm not out for your soul, and I don't think you're going to any sort of physical hell if you don't follow me. :D

I'm Gnostic. I used to be Christian. My mother was Episcopalian, so I still have a lot of respect for the Anglican church in general. I also respect Orthodox Christianity because I feel that it is the Christianity that comes closest to my beliefs - it still has the sacred, and still hints at a divine feminine while retaining some mystery.

First off. Gnosticism is historically a brand of Christianity that started with Mystic Christians. I like to think of it as Eastern thought/philosophy in a Judaic wrapping paper. Many Gnostic Christians were killed off by other Christians, or by Pagans etc... but most of their writings were burned or buried - and many have only recently been discovered and translated. These scriptures tell the story of a Yeshua who was a teacher, a "Christ," who was able to bring "light" into those around him. He was, for lack of a better term, enlightened, and able to see that his relationship with "God" was more like a relationship with Oneness rather than an overbearing lord.

The thought is, basically, that the God of the Old Testament is a demi-god. He is one that demands respect and fear so that he can "control" them and keep them from knowing the Oneness that is beyond himself. There are many theologies that go into this. One might say that Gnosticism can be defined as Greek Philosophy thrown into a Judaic setting, but I don't think that completely applies, for, there are many concepts in Gnosticism that are more akin to Taoism or Buddhism - at least in my personal investigation on the subject. It, however, is not pantheism. For the gods and goddesses that are discussed within the context of the faith are allegorical.

All the mythologies within Gnosticism are allegorical and metaphorical. The best way to think of Gnosticism can be visually shown in the vision of a snake eating it's tail. Ouroboros. Mystics of the Gnostic tradition felt that Wisdom (sophia) was one of the key ingredients to understanding the One. It is not a false wisdom, or a prideful wisdom, but rather a wisdom of love and peace which passes all understanding. (Sorry, I took that from the Bible.)

Anyway, I find that this is the most beautiful and complete faith in my opinion because it doesn't merely subscribe to one philosophy except for that which is to attain understanding of the One. To be a beacon of light and love. It doesn't give rules, because the idea is that once you understand the One, there is no longer need for "sin" for "sin" is a manmade concept. That, Gnostics feel, is how Yeshua demolished sin, by understanding the one and transcending the idea of "sin."

When I first read the Gospel of Mary, I was overcome with a light within me. I nearly cried as I read the words of purity, humility, and grace that I had not seen in any religion of my lifetime at that point. It's not nihilistic, it's not overbearing. It is a way of Wisdom and Love. When the teachings are absorbed, one is able to live a life of nonattachment to the things that matter little, while being able to live a life which encourages understanding.

It's simply beautiful. :)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Nope. I can't convert you, nor would I want to try. You have to seek and make up your own mind. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about what I believe, though.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So, what do you believe in?
My religion is UU. My personal theology is pretty interesting (to me anyway :D) and detailed in the thread linked in my sig.

Tell me with the passion of someone who would try to sell it to me.
Sorry, no. Even if proselytizing weren't strictly forbidden on this forum, I personally loathe it. I'll talk your ear off, delight in lively debate, and answer any questions you might have, but I refuse to demean my beliefs by treating them like a used car. I also respect your choices too much to foist my own on you.

I have an open mind and woulkd entertain bidders for my soul on the behalf of their beliefs.:areyoucra
Then you do your soul a disservice. :p

Last edited:

Christian Pilgrim

I am new here, and I was wondering what to do for my first post, to get to know people, and have a stimulated intellectual discussion. My mother was a methodist, and my father was an athiest. While living in Asia I driffted towards shinto Budddhism. After coming back, I pursued skepticism, in between actually trying to pursue ritualistic shammanism through altering my concious. I have had espidoes threw out my life that have convinced me there is something more.

I would find it a great honor and privileged to proclaim the truth to you. However, God decided who would believe before the foundations of the world.

tomspug

Absorbant
I don't believe that there is such a think as man-made conversion. Someone can convince you of an idea or a reasoning, but that doesn't change the heart. Only God can do that.

If you don't believe in God, then my beliefs probably wouldn't make much sense to you anyways. So instead of trying to "inform" you (as if you needed informing...), I'll ask you some questions to ponder.

- Do you believe in eternal justice, that people who do what is wrong will be punished and that people who do good will be rewarded, either now or after death?
- Do you believe that a man, with enough willpower, can save himself from himself?
- Do you believe that people have an obligation to change the world for the better?
- Does it make a difference whether or not you forgive someone who has wronged you?
- If you had to choose, who influenced your view of "God" the most and was it a positive or negative influence?

.lava

Veteran Member

noone can convert you. you, like any other human being, would follow your own heart. and in case you find someone whose heart matches with yours, you would love him more. yet it is always be your heart that converts you, not my mine, not his or hers.

J Bryson

I'm sticking with my fellow UUs on this. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Other than that, you will find what works for you in life, you will hopefully follow whatever makes the most sense to you, and ideally you will not have to leave your reason and compassion at the door when you do so.