• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the human mind ever be capable of grasping "infinity?"

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
I was watching "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" on the science channel the other day, and the topic in question was human consciousness. It really got me thinking.

Do you think that, with the limited number of neurotransmitters in our brains, it can ever be possible that we can understand the concept of "infinity?"

If not, then how can we definitively know that some form of a god (A higher power, etc.) does not exist? Also, along the same lines, how could the human mind then even begin to coherently perceive what a hypothetical "god" even really consists of?

I like to think that we learn new things by comparing and measuring everything around us. Indeed, this is the basic principle of even quantum physics and mechanics, and yet, how does one truly compare or measure "infinity?"

I guess for that matter, do you even believe that "infinity" exists?

Cordoba

Understanding infinity (imo) is beyond the human mind

The same applies to understanding eternity

For that reason, a believer in God (the One and Only Creator of this amazing universe) is advised not to think of God's essence, as the human mind can never grasp that, but to reflect on His attributes (of power, knowledge, might, mercy, ...etc) which are concepts we can understand ...

By only looking up at the stars at night one realizes that compared to this vast universe we are like a drop in a vast ocean, or a grain of sand in a vast desert ...

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Grasping infinity? There's a big difference between grasping infinity mentally (which we can, as far as mathematics is concerned) and experiencing it for ourselves (which, because of entropy, is impossible).

ellenjanuary

Why yes it can!

The secret is compartmentalization. It may help to see "infinity" as a quality rather than a quantity. I got a story (I wrote for my Gwynnies :D) called "a day with Mr. Ray," goes something like this:

One day, Mr. Ray was contemplating his lot in life. "Why is Mr. Line so much more divine? Am I not Infinite, as well?" Now, by definition, two rays joined at their endpoints and opposed by 180 degrees, is a line. And many may think, thus is the line twice the ray. Until Cantor came along and had a dream, to count the infinite in a one-to-one correspondence, like so:

Ray - 0,1,2,3...
Line - 0,1,-1,2,-2,3,-3...

And Aleph the Countably Infinite was born... (kinda, but I'm telling it! :D)
And to see beyond the Infinite, to the Transcendental... why not, area? Why not, dimensional infinity?

horizon_mj1

Infinity is easier to grasp IMO if first you realize that time is dimensional and secondly accepting there is nothing to compare infinity to. Perpetual motion of atoms within a penny let alone the entire universe, as well as constant manipulation of different energy forms also allow one to understand infinity a bit.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Do you think that, with the limited number of neurotransmitters in our brains, it can ever be possible that we can understand the concept of "infinity?"
"She understands. She doesn't comprehend." (River Tam, Firefly)

We can conceive the infinite, but never truly understand it.

If not, then how can we definitively know that some form of a god (A higher power, etc.) does not exist?
We can't.

Also, along the same lines, how could the human mind then even begin to coherently perceive what a hypothetical "god" even really consists of?
Well, infinity is not inherent to all God concepts. Mine is a finite being.

But again, we can conceive it.

Also, I think trance states allow us to perceive. That's what makes them indescribable/ incomprehensible.

I honestly don't know. I believe there's a whole 'nother level of existence, the universe that contains the Godiverses, but I don't presume to even speculate on its nature. We'll get to it eventually.

Sure. Infinity is endless. The Cosmos is boundless. It goes on for forever. I think what you mean, though, has to do more with experience. In which case, no.

If not, then how can we definitively know that some form of a god (A higher power, etc.) does not exist?

I think we can't definitively say that god(s) don't exist anyways, whether the cosmos would be finite or infinite.

Also, along the same lines, how could the human mind then even begin to coherently perceive what a hypothetical "god" even really consists of?

If gods are real, then they are made of some type of energy and/or matter, or some other kind of 'stuff' of which we may not even be aware.

I like to think that we learn new things by comparing and measuring everything around us. Indeed, this is the basic principle of even quantum physics and mechanics, and yet, how does one truly compare or measure "infinity?"

Kind of a waste of time to measure infinity, for obvious reasons. You could compare infinity to something that is finite, and that works just fine. Like, say, if you wanted to emphasise the insignificance of something you could say that it is like a grain of sand compared to an endless ocean.

Yes, absolutely. When I consider the cosmos to be finite then reality stops making sense to me. How could something exist in one place, but no where else? If there is a possibility for something to exist, then it should exist in the cosmos according to its probability. This is assuming space is infinite, which I think it is. How could the cosmos be 'walled in'? What would be outside of the wall? More cosmos. Space, I think, must be infinite, even if there is nothing in it. But there could be something in it, like in our part of space. We definitely know that our universe is possible to exist. So we can assume that other universes exist as well. An infinite number of them, in fact, spread across infinite space in a relative quantity that is consistent with their probability for existing.

Regarding religion, it is interesting what kind of problems and challenges this poses. I once read a Christian's answer to this concept, who says something like, "The universe cannot be infinite. Christ died once. He dieth no more!"

waitasec

Veteran Member
infinity is a quantity.
what else is there to know?

i agree. it's the notion of infinity having to do with quality is where it gets a little funny. in other words, even if there were a god, supreme being or a prime mover, "why would it care who i sleep with and in what position" (paraphrased from christopher hitchens)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
One can play around with the concept mathematically. Such as an infinite set of numbers plus 1.