• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone please explain to me why a "drag show" is suddenly the epitome of evil?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The former of these is much worse than the latter, in my opinion. Though I suppose abuse of any drug is a problem, whether recreational or pharmaceutical.
They're both also prescription drugs, however. Better to just have a helping hand when it's needed than demonize someone's legit meds (though I'm not sure if MDMA is being prescribed yet).
Yes, it definitely is.

We have those centres here as well. I'm not sure they're tied in with the LGBTQ+ community specifically though. But I don't really know enough about them.
It's pretty bad that these things are needed now. The desired substances aren't as bad as claimed by many, especially Uncle Sam, but the stuff they out in the drugs now has made them scary adding in stuff that has an ld 50 of just a pinch of crumbs.

Orbit

I'm a planet
The former of these is much worse than the latter, in my opinion. Though I suppose abuse of any drug is a problem, whether recreational or pharmaceutical.

Yes, it definitely is.

We have those centres here as well. I'm not sure they're tied in with the LGBTQ+ community specifically though. But I don't really know enough about them.

Agreed. Thanks for answering my questions and providing some information.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Certain subcultures do have drug problems, yes, as a whole. But that doesn't mean that everyone in that subculture has a problem in all contexts. For example, during the 1980s and 1990s I was a rock musician in Los Angeles. That subculture has a drug problem. But that doesn't mean that I had a drug problem, or that all rock musicians had a drug problem; or more controversially that drug use was a problem in all contexts.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
They're both also prescription drugs, however. Better to just have a helping hand when it's needed than demonize someone's legit meds (though I'm not sure if MDMA is being prescribed yet).
Agreed.

I think MDMA prescriptions are in the works and I think they should be.
It's pretty bad that these things are needed now. The desired substances aren't as bad as claimed by many, especially Uncle Sam, but the stuff they out in the drugs now has made them scary adding in stuff that has an ld 50 of just a pinch of crumbs.
Yeah, that's the scary part, alright. This could be prevented by legalizing them, or at least decriminalizing them and regulating them but we don't seem to be ready for that yet.
We're stuck with band-aid solutions for a while longer, I guess.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Certain subcultures do have drug problems, yes, as a whole. But that doesn't mean that everyone in that subculture has a problem in all contexts. For example, during the 1980s and 1990s I was a rock musician in Los Angeles. That subculture has a drug problem. But that doesn't mean that I had a drug problem, or that all rock musicians had a drug problem; or more controversially that drug use was a problem in all contexts.
Agreed. Great point!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Of course it's a bogus claim to assume someone is using drugs jhst because this person is a drag queen, but it's a disservice to the community to try to sweep the problem under the rug.
I agree with this, more or less, 100%.

Kfox

Yes.
Do drag queens identify as women?
Drag queens? What do drag queens have to do with this conversation?
seriously?
Yes.
How about a woman who just dresses in men's clothes and has a short, "manly" haircut, but doesn't identify as one? Is that okay?
My guess would be that a woman you described who presents like a typical man will not be rejected. But most drag queens do not dress nor present like a typical woman, they dress in exaggerated over the top female costumes. A woman who wears mens clothes and a man’s haircut or hat will not stand out in public. A woman who wears the clothes of a drag queen will stand out in public.

Kfox

And their intolerance of change increases as a result. Because now they are being faced with it.

People who objected to the direction society is going have always been faced with it. I believe these people where much more intolerant in the past than today. Remember the push back the civil rights activists received? Today’s activists deal with nothing like that.
The laws are being tested as society is becoming more tolerant of alternatives to traditional "morality", and the bigots are trying to change the laws to make them far more intolerant. And this is driving a wedge into our social cohesion. The question is, how do we deal with this before it tears our society apart?

Did the civil rights activists, or Vietnam war tear this country apart? This is nothing compared to those issues. The reality is; if you want to fight for change, there will always be push back. If you don’t want push back, don’t fight for change.
Or they grow beyond the reach of anyone's influence. And they are now too damaged to be repaired, or to repair themselves. Why should we allow their parents to poison them with these bizarre anti-social ideals in the first place?

Yes, the damage is done, and by then it's too late. Because our society is not in the business of helping people with a damaged psyche.
Imagine the Clarence Thomases taking over the direction of the state, outlawing abortion, gay marriage, and countless other issues you support. Would you support the State taking away children of people like you in order to prevent you from poisoning your children's minds with your bizarre anti-social ideas? Or do you only support the state doing such things so long as the state is on YOUR side concerning these issues?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes.

Yes.

My guess would be that a woman you described who presents like a typical man will not be rejected. But most drag queens do not dress nor present like a typical woman, they dress in exaggerated over the top female costumes. A woman who wears mens clothes and a man’s haircut or hat will not stand out in public. A woman who wears the clothes of a drag queen will stand out in public.
Not that this is really related to the overall topic but there are absolutely drag kings out there.
1690866985163.png

But unlike drag queens, do not have a long traditional performance spot since the pantomime. Still, plenty of drag king shows where drag queen shows are if you go look. And their outfits will turn just as many heads.

1690867497362.png

PureX

Veteran Member
People who objected to the direction society is going have always been faced with it.
The people whining about cross-dressers reading stories to children haven't been within 100 miles of a drag show. And they never will be. They were never being faced with it until the drag queens decided to stand up for themselves.
Did the civil rights activists, or Vietnam war tear this country apart? This is nothing compared to those issues. The reality is; if you want to fight for change, there will always be push back. If you don’t want push back, don’t fight for change.
Those calls for change had popular support. This new call for increased intolerance (by law) does not have popular support, and is being forced on the majority by a minority. That is a recipe for disaster. Similar to prohibition.
Imagine the Clarence Thomases taking over the direction of the state, outlawing abortion, gay marriage, and countless other issues you support. Would you support the State taking away children of people like you in order to prevent you from poisoning your children's minds with your bizarre anti-social ideas? Or do you only support the state doing such things so long as the state is on YOUR side concerning these issues?
You don't seem to grasp that the state represents the majority. Or it's supposed to. However a society decides it's children shoul be raised is how they should be raised. And in our society that gives parenst a lot of leeway. But it can't be totally ungoverned because there will be parents that will destroy their own children by their insane thinking and behavior. At some point the society (via it's government) will have to intercede. And the question becomes when? How do we determine this? And then what to de we do about it?

But the answer is not "never, because the parents have the right to do and teach whatever they wish to their children". That seems to be the only response you have, so far.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How do you know this? It seems to me, their goal is to entertain children. Do we have evidence otherwise?
Um I don't know, it's only the thread topic.
You seriously don't think that people believe(d) that immigrants and communists want to influence the children? You don't recall Trump saying over and over that other countries are sending us their rapists and murderers?
You've never heard anyone claiming gay people are trying to influence the children? (Wait a minute, much like drag queens!) You've never heard that before? Come on.
Oh okay. So when my cousin's masculine-looking wife tells me that she gets harassed for her appearance, I guess she's just making it up.

Glad to know she passes with you though.

Last edited:

Kfox

The people whining about cross-dressers reading stories to children haven't been within 100 miles of a drag show. And they never will be.
How do you know this? Did you just make that up, or do you have some outside sources concerning the people who protest and where they actually live.
Those calls for change had popular support. This new call for increased intolerance (by law) does not have popular support, and is being forced on the majority by a minority.
Do you have any outside sources to back this up? Or are you makin' stuff up again!

You don't seem to grasp that the state represents the majority. Or it's supposed to.
If that were true, slavery would not have ended when it did.
However a society decides it's children shoul be raised is how they should be raised. And in our society that gives parenst a lot of leeway. But it can't be totally ungoverned because there will be parents that will destroy their own children by their insane thinking and behavior. At some point the society (via it's government) will have to intercede. And the question becomes when? How do we determine this? And then what to de we do about it?

But the answer is not "never, because the parents have the right to do and teach whatever they wish to their children". That seems to be the only response you have, so far.
Are you gonna answer my question? Again; are you all for government intervention on how we raise our children on ALL issues? Even the ones you disagree with? Or are you only for this when it comes to issues you personally support!

Kfox

Um I don't know, it's only the thread topic.
My response was in reference to a question that had nothing to do with drag queens.
You seriously don't think that people believe(d) that immigrants and communists want to influence the children?
I don't recall them talking to a bunch of children concerning their ideas; do you?
You don't recall Trump saying over and over that other countries are sending us their rapists and murderers?
Trump wasn't talking to children when he said that
You've never heard anyone claiming gay people are trying to influence the children?
No. When they were fighting for marriage rights and stuff, I've only seen them address this stuff to adults.
Oh okay. So when my cousin's masculine-looking wife tells me that she gets harassed for her appearance, I guess she's just making it up.

Glad to know she passes with you though.
I can't speak for every case; or even your cousin, but most females I see wearing men's clothes do not get harassed.