• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can deities reproduce?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You are correct. My apologies. There was no procreation. Rather, god used his magic wand to spell cast his supernatural sperm directly into Mary's womb.
Isn't that still procreation? AFAIK, procreation is just the production of offspring. Sex isn't necessarily implied.

Matt 1:20:

"[A]n angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit."

It's fair to say that the Bible doesn't say that God procreated with Mary... it says that the Holy Spirit did it. The inference that the Holy Spirit is God is certainly common, but it's not in the actual text of the Bible, AFAICT.

You are correct. My apologies. There was no procreation. Rather, god used his magic wand to spell cast his supernatural sperm directly into Mary's womb.
Now you're speaking my language! The Christian theology is that no sexual intercourse occurred, and the Muslim theology is that God created Jesus in the manner that God created Adam, as God can generate anything out of the blue, can make a snake just pop into existence, or a human, and pop out just as easily. so that God created a baby inside of Mary just like God created Adam out of nothing and formed Adam. God has no genetic material as God is not supposed to even be a human being according to these religions in God's essential form, so it would be like talking about the "Sperm of the Wind" or "The Genetic Material of a Star" or "Sex with a Vacuum", which I'm sure some people have tried.

Isn't that still procreation? AFAIK, procreation is just the production of offspring. Sex isn't necessarily implied.

Matt 1:20:

"[A]n angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit."

It's fair to say that the Bible doesn't say that God procreated with Mary... it says that the Holy Spirit did it. The inference that the Holy Spirit is God is certainly common, but it's not in the actual text of the Bible, AFAICT.

What is AFAICT? Sounds like some Federal Government thing.

cataway

as it is with pagan beliefs you can believe what ever you want. apparently there are no rules that quantify that it must be done one way or another.
in the bible ,only sons of God are ever mentioned .with good reason , they are creations of God. there is no need of procreation

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not in any anthopomorphic way, but if you want to view emanating as 'reproduction' sure. But that's a stretch, in my view. Does the cloud reproduce with itself to form water droplets?

Nimos

I believe that The Supreme being has created many deities (but that only two are members of the triune Godhead...)

But my question is this:

According to your understanding, can a male and female deity (do deities even have a gender????) have sex, get pregnant, and together have a baby deity?

Personally, I don't think they can, I think only "mortals" breed

I know that in ancient Greek mythology the deities had kids together, but I don't think it's really like that

What do you think?
The Norse gods did it as well.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I believe that The Supreme being has created many deities (but that only two are members of the triune Godhead...)

But my question is this:

According to your understanding, can a male and female deity (do deities even have a gender????) have sex, get pregnant, and together have a baby deity?

I know that in ancient Greek mythology the deities had kids together, but I don't think it's really like that

What do you think?
Not literally. They are not physical beings. I don't think the Greeks or any other people with a pantheon of Gods took it literally. The same is said about my Gods but I don't take it lierally.

nPeace

Veteran Member

But my question is this:

What do you think?
Your thinking is in line with the Bible.
(Galatians 3:27, 28) 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in union with Christ Jesus.
(Mark 10:6-8) 6 However, from the beginning of creation, ‘He made them male and female. 7 For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother, 8 and the two will be one flesh,’ so that they are no longer two, but one flesh.
(Matthew 19:4-6) 4 In reply he said: “Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female 5 and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart.”
(Matthew 22:29, 30) 29 In reply Jesus said to them: “You are mistaken, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God; 30 for in the resurrection neither do men marry nor are women given in marriage, but they are as angels in heaven.
(Luke 20:34-36) 34 Jesus said to them: “The children of this system of things marry and are given in marriage, 35 but those who have been counted worthy of gaining that system of things and the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. 36 In fact, neither can they die anymore, for they are like the angels, and they are God’s children by being children of the resurrection.
(1 Corinthians 15:38-40) 38 but God gives it a body just as it has pleased him, and gives to each of the seeds its own body. 39 Not all flesh is the same flesh, but there is one of mankind, there is another flesh of cattle, another flesh of birds, and another of fish. 40 And there are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies; but the glory of the heavenly bodies is one sort, and that of the earthly bodies is a different sort.
The angels though not having sex, or sexual organs, can make bodies with these functions. Though, God has restricted the angels who sinned in this way, in the past.

God created myriads of angels, enough he needed to live in heaven. However, he made human to procreate and fill the earth where he made them to live.
(Revelation 5:11) And I saw, and I heard a voice of many angels around the throne and the living creatures and the elders, and the number of them was myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands,

(Hebrews 12:22) But you have approached a Mount Zion and a city of the living God, heavenly Jerusalem, and myriads of angels

(Psalm 115:16) . . .As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah, But the earth he has given to the sons of men.

(Isaiah 45:18) For this is what Jehovah says, The Creator of the heavens, the true God, The One who formed the earth, its Maker who firmly established it, Who did not create it simply for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited: “I am Jehovah, and there is no one else.

(Acts 17:26) And he made out of one man every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth. . .

nPeace

Veteran Member
Now you're speaking my language! The Christian theology is that no sexual intercourse occurred, and the Muslim theology is that God created Jesus in the manner that God created Adam, as God can generate anything out of the blue, can make a snake just pop into existence, or a human, and pop out just as easily. so that God created a baby inside of Mary just like God created Adam out of nothing and formed Adam. God has no genetic material as God is not supposed to even be a human being according to these religions in God's essential form, so it would be like talking about the "Sperm of the Wind" or "The Genetic Material of a Star" or "Sex with a Vacuum", which I'm sure some people have tried.
Hi. If you are speaking about the God identified in the Bible, what we read there is not the same as you expressed here.
While God does not do magic, God uses the same elements in existence. If he didn't, we would just pop in and pop out of rooms, but we can't.
God does not make anything appear out of nothing, but God creates, from existing elements.
The Bible says...
(Isaiah 40:25, 26) 25 “To whom can you liken me to make me his equal?” says the Holy One. 26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.
Though the Bible does not go into detail, as it is not a science textbook, it does tell us, he creates from element... not out of nothing. Genesis 2:7

Hi. If you are speaking about the God identified in the Bible, what we read there is not the same as you expressed here.
While God does not do magic, God uses the same elements in existence. If he didn't, we would just pop in and pop out of rooms, but we can't.
God does not make anything appear out of nothing, but God creates, from existing elements.
The Bible says...
(Isaiah 40:25, 26) 25 “To whom can you liken me to make me his equal?” says the Holy One. 26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.
Though the Bible does not go into detail, as it is not a science textbook, it does tell us, he creates from element... not out of nothing. Genesis 2:7
Was there ever anything Ex-Nihilo?