• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can deities reproduce?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I believe that The Supreme being has created many deities (but that only two are members of the triune Godhead...)

But my question is this:

According to your understanding, can a male and female deity (do deities even have a gender????) have sex, get pregnant, and together have a baby deity?

Personally, I don't think they can, I think only "mortals" breed

I know that in ancient Greek mythology the deities had kids together, but I don't think it's really like that

What do you think?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I believe that The Supreme being has created many deities (but that only two are members of the triune Godhead...)

But my question is this:

According to your understanding, can a male and female deity (do deities even have a gender????) have sex, get pregnant, and together have a baby deity?

Personally, I don't think they can, I think only "mortals" breed

I know that in ancient Greek mythology the deities had kids together, but I don't think it's really like that

What do you think?

Depends on the god, but if the god is omnipotent, it stands to reason that it woild be capable of doing everything that humans can do.

An omnipotent god would also be all sexes and all genders.

And stepping back from it a bit, the idea that that a super-intelligent, super-powerful space alien - i.e. a god - would reproduce seems much more plausible to me than the idea that this alien would be interested in socializing with people.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Are you sure you've thought this through?
I don't consider The Supreme Being to be a deity

I believe that The Godhead is made up of The Supreme Being and two deities - Jesus Christ and The Holy Spirit

Why do you believe in any of it? I believe in things that I can "see" one way or another, and can conclude through reason. If we just "believe whatever", then how can we really refine our beliefs to "I believe this, not that"? Just based on how we feel about it or what we tend to prefer?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member

In terms of the divine nature or essence, I would have to give a strict no.

God is regarded by classical theism (of any hue - Jewish, Christian, Islamic) as the supreme spirit and being. The Fourth Lateran Council in 1215 stated quite firmly: "there exists a certain Supreme Reality, incomprehensible and ineffable...eternal and immeasurable, almighty, unchangeable....absolutely simple essence...one principle of all things, creator of all things invisible and visible...This reality neither begets nor is begotten nor proceeds."

God is genderless in essence: the divine being does not 'beget' as men do in fathering children (save by analogy, as in the Christian theological 'image' of God the Father and Jesus the Son, which is not meant to be literally understood in a biological fashion) and this truism is strictly doctrinal, not only in Catholicism but in all forms of Abrahamic theism. Thus the Qur'an informs us, most succinctly and poetically, in Surah Al-Ikhlas: "Say, He is Allah, [who is] One, Allah, the Eternal Refuge. He neither begets nor is born, Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

This Qur'anic declaration of divine unicity and transcendence neatly summarises what I'm intent on addressing in the rest of my post: it makes clear that God does not 'beget'; which is the fundamental character of a human biological male, referring as it does to his generative desire and capacity to reproduce by 'fathering' offspring through fertilization of a human female.

Both the Lateran Council and Qur'anic statements - binding upon Catholics and Muslims respectively - affirm as an unimpeachable truth of faith that this kind of 'male physiognomy' or sexual identity has no applicability to the Supreme Being

However, Christians equally believe in the doctrine of "incarnation" - whereby God became flesh in the body of Jesus at his conception.

And Jesus was physiologically male (indeed, circumcised as a baby according to the Gospel of Luke in accordance with the Torah) which means that God, in His incarnate state, did have the capacity to engage in sexual relations and sire offspring, if he had elected to do so. We have no evidence from the first century, however, which can be read as indicative that Jesus fathered any children in his life - but he certainly had the 'means' or rathrer equipment to do it.

So the answer is also a strict "yes" in this latter sense, courtesy of Jesus (God incarnate in the flesh).

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
If a given deity can't reproduce with a "mortal," then the deity isn't omnipotent.

Well, my Deity could certainly have done so - courtesy of the fact that I believe He incarnated himself as a human male called Jesus.

It was always within His power to assume human form and "do the deed" if He so pleased, subjecting himself to the very laws of physics and biology that He had ordained from his creation of the universe (out of many possible universes he might have created, some of which wouldn't have resulted in complex chemistry or life).

Last edited:
Someone on the internet using the username Vouthon once wrote:
"God is regarded by classical theism (of any hue - Jewish, Christian, Islamic) as the supreme spirit and being. The Fourth Lateran Council in 1215 stated quite firmly: "there exists a certain Supreme Reality, incomprehensible and ineffable...eternal and immeasurable, almighty, unchangeable....absolutely simple essence...one principle of all things, creator of all things invisible and visible...This reality neither begets nor is begotten nor proceeds."

God is genderless in essence: the divine being does not 'beget' as men do in fathering children (save by analogy, as in the Christian theological 'image' of God the Father and Jesus the Son, which is not meant to be literally understood in a biological fashion) and this truism is strictly doctrinal, not only in Catholicism but in all forms of Abrahamic theism. Thus the Qur'an informs us, most succinctly and poetically, in Surah Al-Ikhlas: "Say, He is Allah, [who is] One, Allah, the Eternal Refuge. He neither begets nor is born, Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

This Qur'anic declaration of divine unicity and transcendence neatly summarises what I'm intent on addressing in the rest of my post: it makes clear that God does not 'beget'; which is the fundamental character of a human biological male, referring as it does to his generative desire and capacity to reproduce by 'fathering' offspring through fertilization of a human female.

Both the Lateran Council and Qur'anic statements - binding upon Catholics and Muslims respectively - affirm as an unimpeachable truth of faith that this kind of 'male physiognomy' or sexual identity has no applicability to the Supreme Being"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
God is genderless in essence:
What criteria for any gender is God incapable of meeting?

Edit: or even before that, I should ask what aspects of gender you're referring to, instead of assuming. In terms of gender identity, I agree that a hypothetical god - even if omnipotent - might not identify with any gender.

What criteria for any gender is God incapable of meeting?

Edit: or even before that, I should ask what aspects of gender you're referring to, instead of assuming. In terms of gender identity, I agree that a hypothetical god - even if omnipotent - might not identify with any gender.

Maybe we need to clarify what a gender is? God is not a human, can non-humans have genders? Like, can, the Sun have a Gender? What is required to have a Gender? God is lacking in a lot of things, God has a lot of "missing parts". Can throwing a box at someone's head be considered "gendered"?

Goddess Kit

According to the christian bible, god procreated with Mary.

Even in the Greek pantheon the gods were constantly procreating.

When you use your imagination to write something, anything is possible to create.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe we need to clarify what a gender is? God is not a human, can non-humans have genders?
Gender generally has two elements: gender identity and gender expression.

Genderbread Person v4.0 » The Genderbread Person

I would suppose that anything that's capable of thought to the point that they can have a self-identity could potentially have a gender identity, and anything capable of intentional expression could have a gender expression.

Like, can, the Sun have a Gender? What is required to have a Gender? God is lacking in a lot of things, God has a lot of "missing parts". Can throwing a box at someone's head be considered "gendered"?
Whether a god is capable of gender expression or identity really depends on the god... and on the beliefs and attitudes of the person who conceived of the god.