• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can an Atheist Pray?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I am a Buddhist, and I pray. I don't pray to any deities or outside entities. My prayers are "from" not "to". They are offerings of merit or positive energy/wishes towards the object of the prayer, and they are oftentimes spoken aloud during service.

mhiggs

yeah, i think prayer for me is now more of a form of meditation, which i rarely use, but have done a couple times recently

Alceste

Vagabond
I once spent Christmas with a family of very devout Christians - young earth creationists, even. Teetotalers - no rum and eggnog. They were the family of a good friend though, and all nice people. However, at one point they started going around the table and praying aloud, one by one. "God, help auntie so-and-so with her bunions" type of stuff. I was thrown into a bit of a panic, to be honest, because my friend had let me know if I didn't come across as a believer her parents would give her grief about hanging out with me.

Anyway, while I was waiting for my turn I tried to craft something that would not compromise my integrity as a non-believer but still pass for a prayer for anyone who wanted to think I believed in their god. I came up with sincere feelings of gratitude and good fortune I felt I could talk about. Safe ground, really. Fits into the context of things people recognize as prayer. I even thought of a way to start off without mentioning any gods. (Forget what that was now though.)

I never got a turn, though. They skipped me, and to be honest I was a little disappointed because my feelings were sincere and I wanted to get them off my chest. I don't do that much - let my feelings out in front of other people.

Anyway, the healthiest expression I've seen of whatever psychological need prayer addresses was in a First Nations sweat lodge. The feather goes around and whoever holds it gets whatever they want to say (or sing, or whatever) off their chest. Sometimes people refer to a god, sometimes they don't. The character is distinctly spiritual but not inherently theistic.

To answer the question, can an atheist pray - an atheist can do whatever she damn well pleases.

javajo

Praying may seem irrational to an atheist who is trying to be rational, but it never hurts to try. To be open to something outside our 'box', is good. In the Bible its says that God says to seek me with all your heart and I'll draw near to you, and that he is not far from any of us.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
Praying may seem irrational to an atheist who is trying to be rational, but it never hurts to try. To be open to something outside our 'box', is good. In the Bible its says that God says to seek me with all your heart and I'll draw near to you, and that he is not far from any of us.

Well with all due respect, when, if ever, I pray, it certainly isn't to the god of the bible.

MissAlice

I've done it and I've often wondered the same thing. I don't believe in a "literal" god but whenever I've prayed it's almost like a form of comfort or "habit" perhaps?

I do the same thing when I journalize, it's like I'm venting and talking to "something".

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
At times I like to hold conversations with the universe. Being there is no real separation and distinction, I know the conversations are always beneficial in some manner. So yes, I pray. -NM-

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What's an atheist?

Easy. No God equals no response, so naturally there is no such belief to worry about or to get concerned and wrapped up over with. I think that qualifies one as Atheist well enough. -NM-