• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a mentally retarded person be enlighten ?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I know how you feel. My husband is brain damaged after an aneurysm burst in his brain in 2006. He was hyper-intelligent but now I have to do some of his thinking for him, which he really hates as I was far from his intellectual equal! I am finding it hard to cope with both my husband and son, so my son will have to be placed in a caring community soon.

Thank you for sharing and for posting that wonderful picture of your son.
It made me think of the beautiful word picture painted for us by Isaiah in his 11th chapter where Isaiah writes in verse six about the future time of Christ reigning over earth when, during that time frame, a child will lead even a tamed wild animal.

Isaiah also wrote that during that coming future time on earth [33v24] that:
No resident will say, "I am sick." Those inhabitants would include those who were brain damaged.

Jesus gave words to John in Revelation [21vs4,5] that God will make all things new because crying, pain and even death will be No more, rather such things will be former things.

In the meantime, may love and joy be increased to you and yours.

sukhi

Yes Enlightment is possible to one in a billion. nowdays enlightment has become a fad word for everyone to define and calculate happiness.
It is possible that mentally distrubed people can get enlightment according to me. Jesus would have been called Schizophrenic had he been present today as he hallucinated on many a things. Similarly Stephen Hawking who has mental disease must be very close to abstract enlightment as the feeling when one discovers a scientific truth gives similar feelings that are encountered by saints on the path of mediatation.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend joea,

Each particle holds a particular time & space from where it evolves.
Evolution goes on internally which gets reflected outwardly.
Each of the particles are enlightened as it is part of the same energy [whole] but understanding that itself is a long journey and is mostly possible by humans as the mind of human has the capabilty of that understanding and here too only a few are able to understand it and amongst those few who understand few go to actualize or realize to IT, by transcending both the time and space that it is in.

The course of the journey [evolution] for each particle again depends on its *karma* and as a result of his karma someone may have disability in one life which could be taken as a rest period but am sure the inner working or function of the minds evolution carries on inspite of any disability.

Have heard that their are possibilities of animals too to be enlightened so am sure disability of humans is not an issue here besides such persons are more close to existence than those whom we consider ABLE!

Kindly do not worry for all our friends as each one is on a never ending journey which keeps evolving from eternity to eternity.

Love & rgds

waitasec

Veteran Member
Yes Enlightment is possible to one in a billion. nowdays enlightment has become a fad word for everyone to define and calculate happiness.
It is possible that mentally distrubed people can get enlightment according to me. Jesus would have been called Schizophrenic had he been present today as he hallucinated on many a things. Similarly Stephen Hawking who has mental disease must be very close to abstract enlightment as the feeling when one discovers a scientific truth gives similar feelings that are encountered by saints on the path of mediatation.

stephan hawking has neuro-muscular dystrophy that is related to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a condition that has progressed over the years and has left him almost completely paralyzed. -wiki

the last thing to go for him, therefore, would be his mind

stephan hawking is a genius which can constitute as being enlightened, yes.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes Enlightment is possible to one in a billion.

It depends on what exactly you understand as being enlightment. Statistically, far more people than one in a billion have been declared enlightened in some way. Far more people have been declared some direct aspect of God, even.

I personally believe that anyone with a reasonably loving environment has at least glimpses of enlightment every now and then, so I disagree.

nowdays enlightment has become a fad word for everyone to define and calculate happiness.

That certainly happens. And it is sometimes just bait for some questionable gurus, as well.