• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Christian boy Marry a Hindu Girl ?

EddyM

How about people stop commenting unless they are 1) Hindu 2) knowledgeable on sacred Hindu laws ?

Again all of you are diverting my question.

I want answer only from a person who knows about Hindu law, that a non-hindu can marry a hindu girl or no?

PS: Guys if you don't know about hindu law please stop commenting.

There is no such restrictions within Hinduism, generally speaking Hinduism is not a law-based religion, it is more philosophical anyways. If her parents talk about it "being against Hindu law" they rather mean it is against Indian tradition(you are not Indian I assume?)

If you want to marry her, then by all means marry her. You may have problems later, but love conquers all. If you have any children, you can expose them to both faiths and they can make up their own minds.

Not sure how that would work....for the Hindu person,but I would think provided the Christian person would respect and not add pressures to his significant other....to convert....and if the reverse was implemented...and they used the joy of being together as a learning and respectful process...I think it would work out just fine!;)

As he requested the OP wasn't asking about your own personal and subjective opinions.

I am not aware of any religious restrictions. Many Hindu parents would be against it, but that might not be the case with your girlfriend's family.

I am a Hindu girl and I'll marry whomever I want. The only reason that I would choose not to marry someone of a different belief system is if they pressured me to convert to their way of thinking.

Actually Hindu parents tend to be against their sons marrying females of other religions rather than their daughters.

Conversely as per actual orthodox laws of Sanatana Dharma, religion is passed through males. A woman follows the traditions of her husband upon marriage and a son is expected to inherit and pass on the tradition of his father.

So in terms of religion, your wife actually "deconverts" herself by marrying you.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually Hindu parents tend to be against their sons marrying females of other religions rather than their daughters.

Conversely as per actual orthodox laws of Sanatana Dharma, religion is passed through males. A woman follows the traditions of her husband upon marriage and a son is expected to inherit and pass on the tradition of his father.

So in terms of religion, your wife actually "deconverts" herself by marrying you.

Would you be able to tell me where this law is written?

ConfusedKuri

How about people stop commenting unless they are 1) Hindu 2) knowledgeable on sacred Hindu laws ?

As he requested the OP wasn't asking about your own personal and subjective opinions.

That's the very first time I hear such a thing. Especially the religion passed through the male line...please quote some passages.

atanu

Premium Member
Ok, I am waiting for a answer from a person who knows much about Hindu law and there books.

As my girlfriend says her parents are not against marriage but they are saying it's not permissible by Hindu law. So I would like to know in which book it's written?

The answer was already provided by fallingblood.

As per Hindu Dharma Shastra (Hindu Religious laws) as enshrined in scriptures, one may not even marry outside one's varna. That is basically to guard against the consequence of water mixing with fire. It is said that when parents marry off a girl according to shastra, it is best kind of marriage.

But there is a different class of gandharva marriage -- basically love marrige, whereby the partners mutually accept each other. Gandharva marrige is however, considered to be inferior to the marriges arranged through parents who follow all scriptures. Sometimes Gandharva marriage may be due to lust.

The above is wrt to scriptures. But secular law does not prohibit any kind of marriage. One can just go to a court and get the marriage registered. Another Hindu group, the Arya Samajis, who are reformists, allow and conduct (scripturally) marriage between any two mutually loving individuals. And this is not illegal or non-Hindu. They follow valid scriptures.

Only thing that I understand to be important is to analyse whether the alliance is based on any greed or not and whether the alliance can be a lasting freindship for mutual spiritual benefit?

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
O but then it obviously is rather a question of caste than of religious beliefs right?

Not exactly. Caste is misunderstood. The original word is varna, which means the veil-the colour that covers the transparent soul.

The compatibilty of varna is considered important for friendship -- and especially in cases of marriage where the friendship must last the lifetime.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
This is another problem with religion for me. If either is in very strong belief of their religion, then there will be conflicts in belief if they are married. And nothing worse IMO than inlaws despising or disapproving of a son-in-law/daughter-in-law because of a different religion.
And what happens when kids come along?
I would say that religion segregates people from really interacting on a common level when it comes to family.

atanu

Premium Member
Many mariages do become bitter and bring on misery to others, including children. Often, the initial sheen created by illusion of hot blodd or greed may hide the obvious incompatibilities. I believe that certain things are not not known to us -- such as the exact nature of varna. So, it is recommended that follow a procedure set by the wise.

However, if the love is strong and devoid of any other greed, one can easily approach an Arya Samaj temple for a scripturally proper marriage -- that is if one is keen to be on the right side of scripture.

Truly good people can bypass all formalities.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I would say that religion segregates people from really interacting on a common level when it comes to family.

I'm from a mixed-religious upbringing. I'm doing okay for myself. However, my family weren't super-religious. My wife and I are "not exactly" 100% in agreement religion-wise either. We have kids, no problems with it for us.

I know quite a few people who are from mixed-religious marriages and both were ultra-religious who have done fine. I've known a couple who were who couldn't decide though, but most were usually pretty well off.

I'd say your point is a bit too much of an over-simplification.

atanu

Premium Member
Would you be willing to explain varna for those who are not Hindus, atanu ji?:)

Odion that would be then another thread.:)

In short, varna is veil and its colour. The pristine mind is sattwik (pure) and transparent, allowing the truth of fullness and indivisibilty of existence to shine unhindered. However, for all beings, except for the sages called jivanmuktas, the minds are coloured with desires.

There are basically three kinds of desires/tendencies that drive the individual (and thus colour the mind): sattwik (love of joy for self and all others), rajasic (love of action for individual gain at the cost of others), and tamasic (love of inertia-stupor-pessimism, inaction etc.). All individual minds are coloured differently due to different admixture of these three basic qualities. Again, with proper analysis, it is shown that the veil may be transparent, yellow, red or black.

Alliances that take care of such differences are statistically more successful and conducive to happiness.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Thanks atanu ji, your answer will be beneficial for this thread, and you know more about it than me and would be able to explain it better, since I'm still young in Sanatana Dharma. :)

atanu

Premium Member
I'm from a mixed-religious upbringing. I'm doing okay for myself. However, my family weren't super-religious. My wife and I are "not exactly" 100% in agreement religion-wise either. We have kids, no problems with it for us.

I know quite a few people who are from mixed-religious marriages and both were ultra-religious who have done fine. I've known a couple who were who couldn't decide though, but most were usually pretty well off.

I'd say your point is a bit too much of an over-simplification.

Yes.

Ultimately, the goodness indicated by the willingness to share one's joy with others and willingness to partake another's sorrow overcomes all barriers.

That is true love.

Last edited:

ConfusedKuri

I know Varna is colour but I did not know it could be interpreted in such a manner, I also know there is cerain colours ascribed to certain castes.

What do you mean with me being the subject?

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not exactly. Caste is misunderstood. The original word is varna, which means the veil-the colour that covers the transparent soul.

The compatibilty of varna is considered important for friendship -- and especially in cases of marriage where the friendship must last the lifetime.

In other words the couple should be soul mates?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
In other words the couple should be soul mates?
Sort of.
From my own understanding, in this instance it's similar likes and dislikes, personality, qualities and so on. Basically, things that will enable it to be a harmonious relationship as opposed to one where you're fighting over what seems to be every single thing, whether major or minor.

"Peacefulness, self-control, austerity, purity, tolerance, honesty, knowledge, wisdom and religiousness—these are the natural qualities by which the brahmanas work.

Heroism, power, determination, resourcefulness, courage in battle, generosity and leadership are the natural qualities of work for the kshatriyas.

Farming, cow protection and business are the natural work for the vaishyas, and for the shudras there is labor and service to others."

- Bhagavad Gita 18:42-44, Source: The Gita: Chapter 18

You may also like to read What Makes a Person a True Brahmin? The Atma Jyoti Blog | The Atma Jyoti Blog

Just this fool's two cents worth. Perhaps atanu ji will be able to explain it better than I, or correct anything I've misunderstood. :)