• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Christian boy Marry a Hindu Girl ?

Mark.Lucas

Hello People,

I have a girl friend who is from Hindu religion and I am Christian.

So my question is as per Hindu religion a Hindu girl can marry a Christian boy or no?

:yes: or :no:

If no then can you explain why so?

:confused:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not aware of any religious restrictions. Many Hindu parents would be against it, but that might not be the case with your girlfriend's family.

I am a Hindu girl and I'll marry whomever I want. The only reason that I would choose not to marry someone of a different belief system is if they pressured me to convert to their way of thinking.

Mark.Lucas

I am not aware of any religious restrictions. Many Hindu parents would be against it, but that might not be the case with your girlfriend's family.

I am a Hindu girl and I'll marry whomever I want. The only reason that I would choose not to marry someone of a different belief system is if they pressured me to convert to their way of thinking.

I am asking about Hindu law, not decision of parents.

Does Hindu law permits to marry a Hindu girl to non-hindu boy?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
This may help (from this website:Women And Hindu Marriage Law)

If a Hindu wishes to marry a person who is not a Hindu, under what law can they do so?

If the couple wishes to have a religious marriage governed by Hindu law, then the non-Hindu partner must convert to Hinduism. If the non-Hindu partner is a Christian then it is also possible for the couple to marry according to Christian rites under the Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872. Christian Personal Law then governs the marriage. The third option, in some ways the simplest, is to have a civil marriage under the Special Marriage Act which facilitates marriages between any two people, including members of any two religious communities. It does not involve conversion and also permits people to avoid various complications that arise from marriages under various religion-based personal laws.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I am asking about Hindu law, not decision of parents.

Does Hindu law permits to marry a Hindu girl to non-hindu boy?

Like I said, I am unaware of any religious restrictions. If there is any problem, it comes only from the concerned parents. Not law.

Mark.Lucas

This may help (from this website:Women And Hindu Marriage Law)

If a Hindu wishes to marry a person who is not a Hindu, under what law can they do so?

If the couple wishes to have a religious marriage governed by Hindu law, then the non-Hindu partner must convert to Hinduism. If the non-Hindu partner is a Christian then it is also possible for the couple to marry according to Christian rites under the Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872. Christian Personal Law then governs the marriage. The third option, in some ways the simplest, is to have a civil marriage under the Special Marriage Act which facilitates marriages between any two people, including members of any two religious communities. It does not involve conversion and also permits people to avoid various complications that arise from marriages under various religion-based personal laws.

So, if I want to marry her under Hindu law then I have to convert to Hinduism? :eek:

Mark.Lucas

Like I said, I am unaware of any religious restrictions. If there is any problem, it comes only from the concerned parents. Not law.

Ok, I am waiting for a answer from a person who knows much about Hindu law and there books.

As my girlfriend says her parents are not against marriage but they are saying it's not permissible by Hindu law. So I would like to know in which book it's written?

jnm66

Not sure how that would work....for the Hindu person,but I would think provided the Christian person would respect and not add pressures to his significant other....to convert....and if the reverse was implemented...and they used the joy of being together as a learning and respectful process...I think it would work out just fine!;)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If you want to marry her, then by all means marry her. You may have problems later, but love conquers all. If you have any children, you can expose them to both faiths and they can make up their own minds.

Mark.Lucas

Not sure how that would work....for the Hindu person,but I would think provided the Christian person would respect and not add pressures to his significant other....to convert....and if the reverse was implemented...and they used the joy of being together as a learning and respectful process...I think it would work out just fine!;)

I'm christian and I didn't force her to convert to christianity, but she started that my parents are against marriage as our hindu law doesn't permit to marry a non-hindu boy.

So I would like to know if someone who has good knowledge on Hinduism.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I am pretty sure there is no Hindu law against it, although I know not too many laws in Hinduism.

If you are looking into that taking you guys down then you should also worry about the political views along with her favorite music and type of movies, etc.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it. Marry her if you both choose to marry each other.

Mark.Lucas

If you want to marry her, then by all means marry her. You may have problems later, but love conquers all. If you have any children, you can expose them to both faiths and they can make up their own minds.

I know if I want to marry her I can, but I want to know fact about hinduism.

Mark.Lucas

I am pretty sure there is no Hindu law against it, although I know not too many laws in Hinduism.

If you are looking into that taking you guys down then you should also worry about the political views along with her favorite music and type of movies, etc.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it. Marry her if you both choose to marry each other.

I think that you both should love each other to the exclusion of faiths.

Again all of you are diverting my question.

I want answer only from a person who knows about Hindu law, that a non-hindu can marry a hindu girl or no?

PS: Guys if you don't know about hindu law please stop commenting.

gnomon

So, if I want to marry her under Hindu law then I have to convert to Hinduism? :eek:

If you live in India and want to have a Hindu marriage.

You can have a Christian marriage instead if she wants to opt for that. If you live in India.

Or, if you want to move or already live in India to do this marriage you can have a civil marriage under the Special Marriage Act if that act is still current law in India.

Do you live in India? Kind of important since those laws are specific to the marriage rites within that nation.

The point is really moot outside of India or some other nation in which the state enforces religious marriage laws. It only matters to you and her.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Mark, Hinduism does not have laws or commandments the way that some Abrahamic religions do. Ask the girl you want to marry about which 'law' book says you cannot marry a Hindu girl.
If any such rule exists, it is something recent made up by people. She is not going against God by marrying a non-Hindu.

If her parents are saying that it is against Hindu law then they are either quite ignorant of their religion and its history or are deliberately lying.

ConfusedKuri

There is no such restrictions within Hinduism, generally speaking Hinduism is not a law-based religion, it is more philosophical anyways. If her parents talk about it "being against Hindu law" they rather mean it is against Indian tradition(you are not Indian I assume?)

Onkara

I agree, there is no scriptural "law" and no "law of conversion to hinduism" in the same way as there is in Abrahamic religions, to my knowledge.

Anyone can marry through a civil marriage (without religion or from different religions).

Here is an article on marriage in India:
[Getting Married in India - Legal Requirements for Getting Married in India

The question becomes "how does one convert to Hinduism, if that is what her parents require?". You will find there is no single official answer, unless her parents explain what that means in their eyes.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I agree with fallingblood, Madhuri, Kuri and Onkara.

I have not seen any materials which prohibit a non-Hindu from marrying a Hindu.

She may be thinking of Indian law, "The Hindu Marriage Act", but that is not "law", but a marriage with religious connotations and stuff, as far as I can tell. Even within India, there is the "Special Marriage Act", where one can marry whomever they please (compare "Religious Wedding" and "Civil Partnership")

I've seen nothing within Hinduism that prohibits marrying whomever one wishes. Have you seen this site [link here]? It may be worth a read.

If she has it set that one may only marry a Hindu, however, and this is a view she strongly holds: what will you do? Do you have any ideas?

Hope this helps.